ADVERTISEMENT

Best True FR LB at PSU?

sss

Jun 5, 2001
The sample size is pretty small since so few true FR have had a huge impact, especially at MLB. But it looks like we have a legitimate chance to see a true FR starting here this year. So what FR have you seen play well at LB at PSU in the past? To me it is Dan Conner (I know, not a MLB), who had something like 80 tackles even though he did not start the first game or two. He was just a natural and always around the ball from his FR year on. He may not have had the physical talent of some of the guys he ended up playing with (Lee, Poz, Bowman, what a group), but what a career.
Others???

Bruce Clark & Matt Millen were pretty ferocious back in '76 as Freshmen LB's also
[/QU
OTE]
I always thought Rick Donaldson played better than both as a frosh. I don't know what happened from there. He had a solid career, many thought it would be better.
always thought Rick Donaldson played better than both as a frosh. I don't know what happened from there. He had a solid career, many thought it would be better.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
always thought Rick Donaldson played better than both as a frosh. I don't know what happened from there. He had a solid career, many thought it would be better.
Donaldson was a very good player, but wasn't quite the force BC or MM were as a Freshman.

Clark had 56 tackles, three sacks and an INT
Millen had 52 tackles, six tackles for a loss and three INTs
Donaldson had 29 tackles and one INT

I could be wrong (And correct me if I am) but didn't the "Lavar leap" happen against Illinois in 97 which was Arrington's Freshman season? I was at that game and it is one event I will boast about until I assume room temperature.

I could be wrong (And correct me if I am) but didn't the "Lavar leap" happen against Illinois in 97 which was Arrington's Freshman season? I was at that game and it is one event I will boast about until I assume room temperature.

No. Arrington didn’t play much as a true FR. He spelled Aaron Gatten when Joe felt like it. Short would be my vote but he played DE.

That happened in 98. I was at that game.
Jumbotrons and in stadium replay were not good at that time. All I remember was something insane happening then heard exactly what took place later.

Did Shane Conlan play as a true freshman? Thought he did, but he may have redshirted. In any case, I remember him looking pretty good very early in his career.

Donaldson was a very good player, but wasn't quite the force BC or MM were as a Freshman.

Clark had 56 tackles, three sacks and an INT
Millen had 52 tackles, six tackles for a loss and three INTs
Donaldson had 29 tackles and one INT
Millen and Clark were terrors as freshmen

I don't know if he was the best or not, but I was so impressed with Sean Lee as a Fr that I bought a 45 jersey. I got him to sign it when he was a So after a game, before he became a superstar.

I don't know if he was the best or not, but I was so impressed with Sean Lee as a Fr that I bought a 45 jersey. I got him to sign it when he was a So after a game, before he became a superstar.
Didn't Joe remove Sean's redshirt when Poz got hurt in the Orange Bowl? Pretty sure it happened that way, but, as usual, I could be misremembering.

Jumbotrons and in stadium replay were not good at that time. All I remember was something insane happening then heard exactly what took place later.
Thank you.

Didn't Joe remove Sean's redshirt when Poz got hurt in the Orange Bowl? Pretty sure it happened that way, but, as usual, I could be misremembering.

It was definitely a true frosh Lee who replaced Poz in the Orange Bowl. But I can't remember if that was his first action of the year.

It was definitely a true frosh Lee who replaced Poz in the Orange Bowl. But I can't remember if that was his first action of the year.
Per his PSU bio, he debuted during the Ohio State game in 2005 and received playing time for the rest of the season and got the most time of the year during the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Madsol
Per his PSU bio, he debuted during the Ohio State game in 2005 and received playing time for the rest of the season and got the most time of the year during the Orange Bowl.
Remember him playing as a true freshman during the season.

Call him and ask
I could or I could just look at the tape, vs Maryland 1982, he lines up next to Walker Lee Ashley (#37) a DE. As you can see he is playing on the LOS as an outside LBer. Let the tape roll to the endzone shot, and you will see,heck he is almost in a 4 point stance!, but if you want to call him we can. It's no big deal.

and FWIW, he was never listed as a DB on the depth chart his entire career, in fact his Sr his is listed as an ILBer!

ILB *95ROGERS ALEXANDER 6-2 215 Sr

FRITZ *90Pete Giftopoulos 6-2 243 So

*87Mike Beckish 6-5 231 So

Last edited:

The scoreboard had replay in 98? I remember it being a graphic board that had the kid lick the lolipop and say it's good and a 1st down graphic and defense chant. Among other classics

I could or I could just look at the tape, vs Maryland 1982, he lines up next to Walker Lee Ashley (#37) a DE. As you can see he is playing on the LOS as an outside LBer. Let the tape roll to the endzone shot, and you will see,heck he is almost in a 4 point stance!, but if you want to call him we can. It's no big deal.

and FWIW, he was never listed as a DB on the depth chart his entire career, in fact his Sr his is listed as an ILBer!

ILB *95ROGERS ALEXANDER 6-2 215 Sr

FRITZ *90Pete Giftopoulos 6-2 243 So

*87Mike Beckish 6-5 231 So
Ha, looks like I exceeded my 2017 error count already in 2018. I must have him confused with somebody else, but nobody comes to mind.

Reactions: sluggo72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT