ADVERTISEMENT

Best instrumental rock song.............

I am referring to "Foreplay" ( :eek: ). Something tells me "Long Time" is not instrumental. I don't know what it is, but I have a feeling it isn't instrumental. ;)

Reactions: Tri-Power65
It may not pass the strict standards imposed by this thread for an "instrumental," but the vast majority of the Allman Brothers' "Blue Sky" is instrumental, and it is (IMO) far superior to any other song in the Allman Brothers' incredible playbook, including "Jessica."

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
It may not pass the strict standards imposed by this thread for an "instrumental," but the vast majority of the Allman Brothers' "Blue Sky" is instrumental, and it is (IMO) far superior to any other song in the Allman Brothers' incredible playbook, including "Jessica."
Don't disagree, but I was thinking no vocals.

1969a, Rebel Rouser was the 1st 45 a bought at 12 yrs. old. Heard it on XPN last week.

....for those that like vintage influenced guitar work, Los Straitjackets fit the bill

Last edited:
Reactions: rudedude
Taurus by Spirit. The intro was obviously and blatantly stolen by Led Zepplin (who used to open for Spirit) as the intro to Stairway to Heaven. Did any band steal more material, without giving any credit, than Led Zepplin? Hell, practically the whole first album was stolen. No credits.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't get any better than this. YES won the grammy in 1984 for best rock instrumental performance for Cinema from 90125.

And here is Circa (White, Kaye, Sherwood and Haun) nailing Cinema at the 28:20 mark.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

The one I was going to post! Not the best of the requested category by almost any objective measure, but definitely worth a mention and a personal favorite.

And another one that doesn't belong (but brings me back so I'll mention it since Hendrix' SSB was mentioned): Slash playing The Godfather

Last edited by a moderator:
Taurus by Spirit. The intro was obviously and blatantly stolen by Led Zepplin (who used to open for Spirit) as the intro to Stairway to Heaven. Did any band steal more material, without giving any credit, than Led Zepplin? Hell, practically the whole first album was stolen. No credits.
My Funny Valentine & Chim Chim Cherie have the same chord progressions and sound partially like both Taurus & Stairway. We get it. You don't like Zeppelin

Reactions: Tri-Power65
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT