ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Regents now considering suspending Briles instead of

Can we agree that Art Briles, however unfairly or fairly dismissed, has a history of "rule cutting" , unlike JoePa, Billo, or Franklin?

Briles' stint at the University of Houston should have been / should be the biggest "blip" on NCAA's "radar screen". Yet nothing so far.
It's weird. I now have changed my mind on Tarkanian. While he was at Fresno State I thought he cut some corners too. Now with more info, I love what he tried to do for Chris Herren and hate how the NCAA hounded him.

Jury's still sort of out for me on Baylor.

I believe Petersen gave him all the info he had. That's all I'm going to say.

even so, it seems Petersen couched the info in terms that allowed a clean transfer to Baylor.

I don't believe Petersen said, "this kid is a monster, don't accept him"

It's weird. I now have changed my mind on Tarkanian. While he was at Fresno State I thought he cut some corners too. Now with more info, I love what he tried to do for Chris Herren and hate how the NCAA hounded him.

Jury's still sort of out for me on Baylor.
Tark was, from an ethical perspective, a "rule cutter", but he knew the NCAA rules better than the NCAA.

Reactions: Nellie R
well I think it is more a matter of Briles reviewed his contract with Baylor, and the process by which he was "suspended", and found that some half-a$$ed PH report doesn't meet the threshold of "cause"

looking back at Penn State . . . I don't believe they EVER properly terminated Paterno according to their bylaws.
I don't know man, I'm pretty sure Ken Starr is a cross dresser who tried to pick up Briles one night when he was hammered. It's on cell phone video so it could wind up on the Internet. And if that's not quite the story, I bet dollars to donuts it still involves swarmy Kenny Starr.

Reactions: simons96
It sure seems that football and briles are bigger than the university.

emmert, here is the real culture problem you were looking for. Better give baylor the death penalty.

here's kind of a weird note:

Waco, TX is 91 miles from Ft Worth and about 100 miles from Austin (capital)

State College, PA is 136 miles from Pittsburgh and 86 miles from Harrisburg (capital)

yet very rarely do people give the impression that Waco is in the "middle of nowhere" like State College

I get your point, but let's sure to avoid comparing DFW to Pittsburgh and Austin to Harrisburg. Deal?

I don't know man, I'm pretty sure Ken Starr is a cross dresser who tried to pick up Briles one night when he was hammered. It's on cell phone video so it could wind up on the Internet. And if that's not quite the story, I bet dollars to donuts it still involves swarmy Kenny Starr.

no fan of Starr, but I have yet to see any concrete evidence that he did anything wrong

Reactions: Nellie R
Can we agree that Art Briles, however unfairly or fairly dismissed, has a history of "rule cutting" , unlike JoePa, Billo, or Franklin?

Briles' stint at the University of Houston should have been / should be the biggest "blip" on NCAA's "radar screen". Yet nothing so far.
I cringe when I read from Penn State folks who - though well-intentioned - compare PSU's "situation" to the likes of Baylor or UNC or Miami

The Duke situation - vav the media impact? Yes, I can see that. But the others? Ugh

honestly, living here in Tejas, it is weird watching what is happening at Baylor through the lens of what happened with Penn State.

the attempt to push both schools through this narrow lens of LOIC/rape culture when there is literally NO TANGIBLE EVIDENCE the coaches did anything wrong is unsettling. and how the same attorneys from Pepper Hamilton were involved.

Oddly enough, Baylor's saving grace may be how their Alumni Association is NOT some fawning tool of their Board of Regents.

trust me, the alumni here feel much as we do, except their voices (and their money) carry a lot more weight BECAUSE of their independence from the Board.
What are you talking about? The case of Sam Ukwuachu alone is cause to fire him.

Unless you think Chris Peterson is a liar Briles should never coach again anywhere.

ETA: Two former UF assistants said someone in the BSU athletic department told them about the kid's history and they passed on him.

I have a hard time believing Peterson wasn't forthcoming about why he was dismissed from the team (which directly followed a violent episode).

On top of that Baylor hid the rape allegation as long as they possibly could.

Last edited:

The problem is since the NCAA jumped into something they shouldn't have with PSU, they pretty much weakened their stance to actually intervene on LOIC cases. Basically now Briles will fight this and the coaches will not be responsible for anything other than W's and L's. It's a business.

my brother lives here as well. we have our weekly "bad driving" sessions, where we trade the worst driving we experienced.

though I did wander up to Lewisville a few weeks ago. that construction on 35 is crazy. driving even worse

I lived in Lewisville for 4 years in the late 80's it was a nice area. I particularly liked the Flower Mound area.
I have family that still lives there.
Went back in 02 and couldn't believe how much its grown.
Was just back last summer and its now pretty much merged into one big area and is practically a suburb of Dallas.
The Lake Dallas area was just a complete mess.
Denton was still pretty nice but not sure how much longer that will last.
Plano has completely changed and grown exponentially since I was there even in 02.

i35 is as bad if not worse than some of the highways in and around LA.

I lived in Lewisville for 4 years in the late 80's it was a nice area. I particularly liked the Flower Mound area.
I have family that still lives there.
Went back in 02 and couldn't believe how much its grown.
Was just back last summer and its now pretty much merged into one big area and is practically a suburb of Dallas.
The Lake Dallas area was just a complete mess.
Denton was still pretty nice but not sure how much longer that will last.
Plano has completely changed and grown exponentially since I was there even in 02.

Plano was a nightmare this weekend, they closed a large part of the Dallas North Tollway to replace a bridge

I agree with Nellie's assessment that the growth has significantly outpaced the city planning; we are truly reaching LA type traffic

Plano was a nightmare this weekend, they closed a large part of the Dallas North Tollway to replace a bridge

I agree with Nellie's assessment that the growth has significantly outpaced the city planning; we are truly reaching LA type traffic

I don't think thats specific to Dallas or Texas (well maybe a little since its grown so fast).
But even where I live now, Baltimore, (Harford county). They have so screwed up the roads around here so much its pathetic.
Sometimes I wonder if these "planners" have ever even taken a civil engineering class.
A lot of the area around me, Bel Air, Joppa, Abingdon was farm land so it didn't have many roads and the ones they did have were simple 2 lane roads.
Not anymore they've put so many shopping malls, strip malls, Walmarts, Targets, condos, apartments and housing complexes that there is waayyy too much
traffic for the roads to handle and they just keep adding them.
Apparently the phrase "Smart Growth" has never been uttered let alone acted upon.:eek:

I-35 through Austin is one of the most congested stretches of road in the country. You can pretty much count on traffic on I-35 through downtown almost any time of day, any day of the week. Rush hour is a disaster, but it's the off-peak hour congestion that frustrates me because that shouldn't really exist if we had proper infrastructure. For a time Austin city council had a mindset of "if we don't build it, people will stop coming." that has not worked and now Austin is way, way behind where they should be given the size of the city. And there's no end in sight, we continue to grow very rapidly.

I don't think thats specific to Dallas or Texas (well maybe a little since its grown so fast).
I think you're overlooking that several Texas metro areas are among the fastest-growing parts of the US and have been for some time. I have no doubt that poor infrastructure planning impacts many areas, but it's hitting parts of Texas worse than most. Austin has been on a list of "fastest-growing cities" for probably 20 years and running. The stats show that our metro area population grows by ~150+ people per day. Several years ago I read that that Austin population is on pace to double every decade. Since I've lived here (16 years) the city has gone from ~#25 in population to #11 in the country. This type of growth is not common in many other cities, and it's been sustained here for a long time now. Our highways have had minimal improvements in the past 16 years and we have terrible public transportation options. Austin is going to be screwed if they don't get their act together. It's going to take a massive project costing billions of dollars to correct the lack of planning over the past 20+ years.

I-35 through Austin is one of the most congested stretches of road in the country. You can pretty much count on traffic on I-35 through downtown almost any time of day, any day of the week. Rush hour is a disaster, but it's the off-peak hour congestion that frustrates me because that shouldn't really exist if we had proper infrastructure. For a time Austin city council had a mindset of "if we don't build it, people will stop coming." that has not worked and now Austin is way, way behind where they should be given the size of the city. And there's no end in sight, we continue to grow very rapidly.

I think you're overlooking that several Texas metro areas are among the fastest-growing parts of the US and have been for some time. I have no doubt that poor infrastructure planning impacts many areas, but it's hitting parts of Texas worse than most. Austin has been on a list of "fastest-growing cities" for probably 20 years and running. The stats show that our metro area population grows by ~150+ people per day. Several years ago I read that that Austin population is on pace to double every decade. Since I've lived here (16 years) the city has gone from ~#25 in population to #11 in the country. This type of growth is not common in many other cities, and it's been sustained here for a long time now. Our highways have had minimal improvements in the past 16 years and we have terrible public transportation options. Austin is going to be screwed if they don't get their act together. It's going to take a massive project costing billions of dollars to correct the lack of planning over the past 20+ years.

I pretty much said that but probably didn't give the fast growth as much significance as I should have.
>>I don't think thats specific to Dallas or Texas (well maybe a little since its grown so fast).<<

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT