ADVERTISEMENT

Barron gets grilled by PA Rep about new art museum

Has there been any building spree project that the PSU BoT has ever said ‘No!’ to?

So Barron now wants to raid athletic department funds to build his new bigger art museum.......... when no one visits the current art museum.

This is from the same athletic department that is now 4-5 (?) years into its 20 year facility master plan with absolutely no movement. Not one project even started, much less completed, because it doesn’t have the funds available.

They can’t afford to keep their facilities current but they can suddenly spend athletic department money for a bigger art museum?

An athletic department that is lead by an AD with a history of poor fundraising and is a 1 trick pony in terms of revenues to fund everything.

In the middle of a pandemic that has seen big financial losses with many other universities dropping multiple sports to try to balance budgets.

How in the world can anyone at PSU or on the BoT even consider approving this move?

Has there been any big money building spree project that the BoT has ever said ‘No!’ to?

So Barron now wants to raid athletic department funds to build his new bigger art museum (when no one visits the current art museum).

This is from the same athletic department that is now 4-5 (?) years into its 20 year facility master plan with absolutely no movement. Not 1 project even started, much less completed, because it doesn’t have the funds.

They can’t afford to keep their facilities current but they can suddenly spend athletic department money for a bigger art museum?

An athletic department that is lead by an AD with a history of poor fundraising and is a 1 trick pony in terms of revenues to fund everything.

In the middle of a pandemic that has seen big financial losses with many other universities dropping multiple sports to try to balance budgets.

How in the world can anyone at PSU or on the BoT even consider approving this move?
Stop trying to put such a positive spin on the situation.

In concept, the idea of having a world class are museum located by the arboretum is a good thing. It would become the premier location for viewing great art throughout all of central Pennsylvania and be a positive distinguishing feature of Penn State. I love football and I love art also, I recognize many on this board wouldn’t cross the street to see a Monet. The problem as stated so eloquently in many if the posts above is where the funding comes from. Aside from the major founding donors like the Palmers, future contributions, admissions entrance charges, grants, public funding, and debt, that is a deal breaker IMHO. They need to get their funding in order before proceeding, and hopefully they can do that.

Right now, any new building project is fiscally irresponsible and morally questionable. Be it an $81 million art museum, $228 million engineering building, or a $2.8 million VFW parcel.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
In concept, the idea of having a world class are museum located by the arboretum is a good thing. It would become the premier location for viewing great art throughout all of central Pennsylvania and be a positive distinguishing feature of Penn State. I love football and I love art also, I recognize many on this board wouldn’t cross the street to see a Monet. The problem as stated so eloquently in many if the posts above is where the funding comes from. Aside from the major founding donors like the Palmers, future contributions, admissions entrance charges, grants, public funding, and debt, that is a deal breaker IMHO. They need to get their funding in order before proceeding, and hopefully they can do that.

"World class?" That's never going to happen. A neighbor, who is a PSU alum, has been a curator at a major museum and a director at two prominent auction houses in NYC. She was approached by PSU to review the plans and came away lukewarm. While the collection has/will have a handful of outstanding pieces, most of it is nothing that anyone will go out of their way to see (she may be the cause of Barron revising his attendance projections downward because she told her interlocutor at PSU that the original numbers rivaled those of the Frick, which, as she put it, "has a way better collection and a way better location"). The museum will never be able to attract any major exhibitions simply because of location. It will be of benefit to art historians, both those studying at PSU and from the outside. The polite version of he conclusion is that it's a lot of money that won't change PSU's standing in the art world. Her more direct assessment is that it's a "vanity project."

Last edited:
They should just put Barron’s name on the new deck on west end of campus, do t feel he deserves more.

Without Barron pushing this new museum, it wouldn’t even be happening for the foreseeable future.

Imagine a fall Saturday where we (and people who look like us) have the opportunity to immerse ourselves in culture at the Eric Barren Grand Cathedral of the Arts (and such) as well as football. Throw in a peaceful walk through the Arboretum and the requisite latte and scone tailgate, and it’s a perfect day. We Are!

Reactions: psu00
Taking it from the athletic department means the fan base pays for the fancy “picture hanging house” by way of increased donation levels and higher tix prices as a result if less money in the IAD operating budget. Nice shell game fat boy.
Yep.
And the Athletic Dept had to borrow money from the University during the scandal fiasco. 30 year payoff! The University finally decided to wave the interest. Now, they’re taking $4 Million of TV money for the Museum. That same $4 million could finance $70 million in Athletic upgrade.

Imagine a fall Saturday where we (and people who look like us) have the opportunity to immerse ourselves in culture at the Eric Barren Grand Cathedral of the Arts (and such) as well as football. Throw in a peaceful walk through the Arboretum and the requisite latte and scone tailgate, and it’s a perfect day. We Are!
Sounds like the last time I visited the Musee d’Orsay, except for the football part.

I’m just seeing this thread. I know Pitt’s former general counsel and just emailed him this video. The Pitt chancellor trying not to laugh made the video. What a dog pile.

I’m just seeing this thread. I know Pitt’s former general counsel and just emailed him this video. The Pitt chancellor trying not to laugh made the video. What a dog pile.

The pitt chancellor can laugh all he wants. It looks like barren is getting his building.

PSU has a lot of irons in the fire, including the significant resources being spent on this museum. Why not focus on ensuring that students get an outstanding education as taught by the best faculty money can hire?

Reactions: bison13 and Nitwit
The pitt chancellor can laugh all he wants. It looks like barren is getting his building.
That was never even up for debate, Bob. These hearings are a formality. Too bad Barron didn’t just take his licks and keep his mouth shut (and dignity intact…but he sold that long ago).

PS: I’m a 5th gen Penn Stater. I get no joy from the Pitt side.

Man he gets manhandled here

Perhaps they should also build a convention center to make that part of campus a true regional destination. They could host flower shows, auto shows, home shows, outdoor sports shows, even farm shows, and have a year round stream of visitors from around the state who would take advantage of the arboretum and art museum as well. Perhaps they could repurpose the BJC as part of this project. The educational mission of the university could be enhanced by the event planning, hotel and restaurant management activities needed to support this development. And they could lease commercial space attached to these facilities for income similar to things done along the Drexel or F&M campuses among many others. Put in a creamery outlet, some shopping, and a few restaurants so we could all go to Wendy’s or Chick Fil A for breakfast before the game.
Or they could just teach college level classes as a non-profit organization in accordance with their charter. Let the residents of Centre county build up the local economey and build an art museum if they so choose. For god's sakes how does educating students turn into convention centers to draw a flower show? And we wonder why tuition is so expensive?

The blowhards on this board won’t give you a straight answer but the unequivocal driver of tuition increases is the state legislature’s decision to cut appropriations to higher education. The total higher ed appropriation is same same as it was in 1999. Adjusted for inflation, that’s -30%. We are ranked 48th in public higher ed funding per public student. This is the result of 20 years of neglect and the PASSHE schools that have not been as aggressive in investing in new faculty/programs/infrastructure are imploding because of it.

New buildings and administrative bloat (largely driven by new federal and state regulations and parent expectations for things like psychological services) only account for ~8% of the increase.

Unbelievably, many on this board think a strategy to crank out more welders will reverse our statewide economic decline in the era of the knowledge economy.
Thank you Mr. Barron.

It's not the AD's money no matter what that blithering idiot Brandon Short says. And it's not as if Ms. Excellence doesn't spend it on stupid shit.

I've previously suggested what's going on here, but I'd like to see if the article confirms it.

Where is Barry Fenchak when you need him?
Keep an eye on this website. I'd be shocked if Barry doesn't post something about this soon.

Barry's website

He also said they have $50 million in artwork waiting to be displayed (which I find very hard to believe)

Just sell that, and you almost have the new place paid for!
Art is not easy when determining value....one man's crap is another's masterpiece. Might they have 50 million? Maybe, but it also could be $500,000. Remember the school has grown exponentially since the 60's....and all us 40+ year alumni are beginning to pass. The Art we have collected is massive....for example paintings by Donald Johnson from Bath, Pa are beginning to climb in value. Donald was a proteje of Andrew Wyeth, another famous Pa resident. So if Barron can pull this off without using University funds....I feel it is a worthy project.

Barron’s stepping down soon. He needs a building they can put his name on just like Erickson when he retired.
And Joab Thomas, and Bryce Jordan, and (almost) Graham Spanier (not a well protected secret that his name was going on the IST building until......)

The rep in the video pretty clearly lays out the many issues with this kind of project; namely that it's not a priority, especially when there is a backlog of other, more 'student focused' projects waiting to be funded/finished. And I think it goes without saying that paying nearly $100mm for a 'nice to have' modern art museum is worth digging into a bit, given the track record of this BOT to overpay for just about everything. I'd also add that this money likely comes at the expense of a true revenue generator for the school - the football program. If CJF has to haggle and squirm for every dollar (for coaches, facilities, etc.) while Barron siphons as much as he can from the money CJF makes for the school - for pie in the sky projects he hopes to put his name on - you can see why his name pops up on the coaching carousel lists at the end of every year
I admit I never followed PSU politics....so can anyone recall the general atmosphere during the initial stages of the Pattee library expansion? How about the Pegula hockey rink? This is an age old battle between Arts and Athletics......similar to Pro-gun vs Anti-gun.....neither side will change the other.....and all we have is hope our BOT gets this right!

All I can say is I wished you were with me yesterday. You could have fixed that guy’s trailer hitch.
Yeah, I had to take a IE Welding course as part of my Mech Engineering Degree. Part welding, part casting, and part machining. Probably the only "practical" required class that I took, other than my Philosophy 1 (Logic) and Psychology 101 class that helps me read and understand the posts on this board and what is kept/deleted by the mods (don't mention Wolfe and you are OK) :eek:

I admit I never followed PSU politics....so can anyone recall the general atmosphere during the initial stages of the Pattee library expansion? How about the Pegula hockey rink? This is an age old battle between Arts and Athletics......similar to Pro-gun vs Anti-gun.....neither side will change the other.....and all we have is hope our BOT gets this right!
I'm not a politics follower either but those situations are a bit different. The library expansion had some private funding and more importantly it has a direct impact on student education. Pegula Ice was totally funded through the generosity of one individual. None of that can be said about a new art museum.

Art is not easy when determining value....one man's crap is another's masterpiece. Might they have 50 million? Maybe, but it also could be $500,000. Remember the school has grown exponentially since the 60's....and all us 40+ year alumni are beginning to pass. The Art we have collected is massive....for example paintings by Donald Johnson from Bath, Pa are beginning to climb in value. Donald was a proteje of Andrew Wyeth, another famous Pa resident. So if Barron can pull this off without using University funds....I feel it is a worthy project.
"So if Barron can pull this off without using University funds..." It's clear that they are unable to raise money from donors to fund most of this project, so how is that going to happen?

A university NEEDS a library.

A university NEEDS to maintain its existing buildings.

A university DOES NOT NEED an art museum.

Last edited:

We should have learned from observing Pitt all of these years that having world class attractions in town will crush football attendance. People will skip football and just go to the museum.

Well, Barry gave a detailed description of the public comments that took place yesterday. Quite unbelieveable.

Here's a cut and paste and link. It's the second post down if you use the link.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN (which should be every Penn Stater):

So..... today's BOT Committee Meetings included the first examples of the "Zoom In" Public Comments.

The history of "Public Comment" at BOT meetings is a long and twisted one - and I won't get into all that - but one of the parameters has been that no one can "comment" on a long list of topics.... including:
- Legal Issues
- Personnel Issues
- or any topics concerning the "Personal Lives and Activities" of anyone associated with PSU, and doing so will result in such commenters being permanently banned from the opportunity to comment.

So, with that background:
Who "Zoomed In" today?
Two people, who's names would be familiar to many Penn Staters - and are supporters of Trustee Brandon Short's re-election campaign - were given the opportunity to make public comment, and they used that opportunity to take turns slandering PSU Trustee Candidate James Bognet (who, of course, is not even present to even defend himself against these attacks).
The first commenter was near hysterical wrt criticisms of Bognet, for having been a political candidate (Last year, Bognet ran for Congress in the 8th District of PA)..... and she "demanded" that the PSU Board write "new laws" that prevented such people from running for Trustee 🙂
And then the comments - mostly from the second "commenter" turned to wild claims that Bognet was a vile racist (seriously) and that Bognet - AND Anthony Lubrano, who's Crime was, apparently, endorsing Bognet's candidacy - need to be "cancel cultured" from any affiliation with the University.
Anyway... this went on for 6-8 minutes.
After the comments, the Chair of the Committee (Barb Doran) would certainly point out that these comments were out of line.
Right?
Nope. Doran joined in with the parade, and expressed his dismay that such people (Bognet and Lubrano... not the two commenters) would be affiliated with PSU.....
And THEN PSU BOT Chairman Matt Schuyler felt the need to join the parade as well - reciting his comments of outrage (pre-prepared comments - which is kind of interesting... no?).
Anyway..... that was "interesting", no?

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
Well, Barry gave a detailed description of the public comments that took place yesterday. Quite unbelieveable.

Here's a cut and paste and link. It's the second post down if you use the link.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN (which should be every Penn Stater):

So..... today's BOT Committee Meetings included the first examples of the "Zoom In" Public Comments.

The history of "Public Comment" at BOT meetings is a long and twisted one - and I won't get into all that - but one of the parameters has been that no one can "comment" on a long list of topics.... including:
- Legal Issues
- Personnel Issues
- or any topics concerning the "Personal Lives and Activities" of anyone associated with PSU, and doing so will result in such commenters being permanently banned from the opportunity to comment.

So, with that background:
Who "Zoomed In" today?
Two people, who's names would be familiar to many Penn Staters - and are supporters of Trustee Brandon Short's re-election campaign - were given the opportunity to make public comment, and they used that opportunity to take turns slandering PSU Trustee Candidate James Bognet (who, of course, is not even present to even defend himself against these attacks).
The first commenter was near hysterical wrt criticisms of Bognet, for having been a political candidate (Last year, Bognet ran for Congress in the 8th District of PA)..... and she "demanded" that the PSU Board write "new laws" that prevented such people from running for Trustee 🙂
And then the comments - mostly from the second "commenter" turned to wild claims that Bognet was a vile racist (seriously) and that Bognet - AND Anthony Lubrano, who's Crime was, apparently, endorsing Bognet's candidacy - need to be "cancel cultured" from any affiliation with the University.
Anyway... this went on for 6-8 minutes.
After the comments, the Chair of the Committee (Barb Doran) would certainly point out that these comments were out of line.
Right?
Nope. Doran joined in with the parade, and expressed his dismay that such people (Bognet and Lubrano... not the two commenters) would be affiliated with PSU.....
And THEN PSU BOT Chairman Matt Schuyler felt the need to join the parade as well - reciting his comments of outrage (pre-prepared comments - which is kind of interesting... no?).
Anyway..... that was "interesting", no?

Obviously all those commenters have been banned from future meetings.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: bison13
Latte, scone and onion dip tailgate, if you don't mind.

They should just put Barron’s name on the new deck on west end of campus, do t feel he deserves more.

Without Barron pushing this new museum, it wouldn’t even be happening for the foreseeable future.
I would prefer an addition to the beaver stadium porta potties. Next to the peetz potty will be the Barron bathroom. More than enough

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT