ADVERTISEMENT

Barron Appointed to Kish Bancorp Board

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Just saw this announcement. As someone familiar with bank boards, this strikes me as very small potatoes for a major college president. Whatever...he does have some other external things going on as well and it doesn’t hurt.

STATE COLLEGE, PA – February 8, 2018 – William P. Hayes, Chairman, President and CEO of Kish Bancorp, Inc., has announced that Dr. Eric J. Barron has been appointed to the Kish Bancorp Board of Directors. Barron is the President of The Pennsylvania State University and a former president of Florida State University. Prior to Florida State, he served as dean of Penn State’s College of Earth and Mineral Sciences and founding director of the Earth System Science Center at Penn State, one of the first major initiatives in the country focused on the total study of Earth as a system.
In making the announcement, Hayes stated, “We are pleased to have Dr. Barron join our Board. He will bring vision and insight to the governance function of Kish Bancorp, as well as a demonstrated record of excellence in administration, education, research, and public service. As the leader of one of the country’s largest and most complex universities, Dr. Barron’s perspectives will be valuable as Kish implements an aggressive growth strategy and adopts the organizational, digital, and technological changes that will sustain the Corporation well into the future. We are also confident that Penn State’s elevated strategic focus on economic stimulus under Dr. Barron’s leadership will be especially valuable to Kish and the region. The Invent Penn State initiative and related entrepreneurial incubator programs will harness the important groundbreaking research at Penn State as it is translated into business investment, development, and new business creation.”
Barron stated, “Since returning to Penn State, I have been impressed by Kish’s emergence as a key regional banking leader with a stated objective of remaining close to the communities and clients it serves. I feel a clear alignment with Kish’s core values and priorities, and look forward to working with the board and executive team to help shape a strategic vision for the future of this promising and dynamic local company.”
An accomplished scientist, Barron has served as director of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), dean of the Jackson School of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Austin, member of the director's advisory committee for the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and chair of many other committees and boards, including the National Research Council and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). He is a Fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Geophysical Union, the American Meteorological Society, and the Geological Society of America, and has been the recipient of such awards as Penn State's Wilson Award for Excellence in Teaching, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) Distinguished Public Service Medal, and the Bridge Builders Leadership Award from the Martin Luther King Foundation of Florida.
Barron earned a Bachelor of Science degree in geology at Florida State and master’s and doctoral degrees in oceanography at the University of Miami. He and his wife, Molly, live in State College and have two grown children.

Reactions: step.eng69
I think it’s probably related to innovation park and the startups and research firms which spin off the university which need financing. These could be good for economic growth and banking in the area, and Penn State is out in front of that. Sort of like University City Science Center near Penn in Philadelphia. His old degrees aren’t relevant for this but his work in creating this start up environment is. And the bank would have the money to lend to these firms.

Last edited:
Just saw this announcement. As someone familiar with bank boards, this strikes me as very small potatoes for a major college president. Whatever...he does have some other external things going on as well and it doesn’t hurt.

STATE COLLEGE, PA – February 8, 2018 – William P. Hayes, Chairman, President and CEO of Kish Bancorp, Inc., has announced that Dr. Eric J. Barron has been appointed to the Kish Bancorp Board of Directors. Barron is the President of The Pennsylvania State University and a former president of Florida State University. Prior to Florida State, he served as dean of Penn State’s College of Earth and Mineral Sciences and founding director of the Earth System Science Center at Penn State, one of the first major initiatives in the country focused on the total study of Earth as a system.
In making the announcement, Hayes stated, “We are pleased to have Dr. Barron join our Board. He will bring vision and insight to the governance function of Kish Bancorp, as well as a demonstrated record of excellence in administration, education, research, and public service. As the leader of one of the country’s largest and most complex universities, Dr. Barron’s perspectives will be valuable as Kish implements an aggressive growth strategy and adopts the organizational, digital, and technological changes that will sustain the Corporation well into the future. We are also confident that Penn State’s elevated strategic focus on economic stimulus under Dr. Barron’s leadership will be especially valuable to Kish and the region. The Invent Penn State initiative and related entrepreneurial incubator programs will harness the important groundbreaking research at Penn State as it is translated into business investment, development, and new business creation.”
Barron stated, “Since returning to Penn State, I have been impressed by Kish’s emergence as a key regional banking leader with a stated objective of remaining close to the communities and clients it serves. I feel a clear alignment with Kish’s core values and priorities, and look forward to working with the board and executive team to help shape a strategic vision for the future of this promising and dynamic local company.”
An accomplished scientist, Barron has served as director of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), dean of the Jackson School of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Austin, member of the director's advisory committee for the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and chair of many other committees and boards, including the National Research Council and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). He is a Fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Geophysical Union, the American Meteorological Society, and the Geological Society of America, and has been the recipient of such awards as Penn State's Wilson Award for Excellence in Teaching, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) Distinguished Public Service Medal, and the Bridge Builders Leadership Award from the Martin Luther King Foundation of Florida.
Barron earned a Bachelor of Science degree in geology at Florida State and master’s and doctoral degrees in oceanography at the University of Miami. He and his wife, Molly, live in State College and have two grown children.
Not a bad deal. They put you on the board for your connections. Show up to some meetings and make some easy money. You don’t have to be the brightest bulb, you just have to be connected.

CEO of Kish Bancorp, Inc., has announced that Dr. Eric J. Barron has been appointed to the Kish Bancorp Board of Directors.
First order of Banking business after breakfast pastries.......
Bring back the game pins
Screw Citizens Bank, they won't deliver any longer...........
$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Paul Silvis is also a prominent member of that board. At one time I considered shifting my company's banking to Kish, but when I saw that Silvis was on Kish's Board, they were eliminated from contention. I know that in the broad scheme of things, my protest didn't mean a hill of beans, but I was satisfied with what I did and with the way things turned out. The fact that Barron was appointed to its board only reinforces my selection.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Kish bank goes to centre county. PSU is by far and away the biggest fish in the pond. Get the PSU president on the board. Seems logical in today's world.

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT