ADVERTISEMENT

Baa, baa, baa

Largest aluminum club in Orlando area had to cancel viewing party. Miller's Ale House didn't buy Peacock. Had to watch OSU at my 79th birthday lunch with family because our sports restaurant did not have Peacock. This is a test. If viewership drops enough, they lose the ad money from TV and will drop this nonsense. At what point will you be moved to quit kissing butt to support college fb?
My peacock is free from comcast

I did the same. I also found the radio broadcast to be very well done.
I would hope so. They’ve been at it for a few games. ;)

I couldn’t and don’t understand all the hand wringing over Peacock. Don’t pay. It was Delaware and radio is free. It’s like everyone forgot radio existed and would paint a picture you can see. And it was Delaware.

Reactions: JimNazium
I would hope so. They’ve been at it for a few games. ;)

I couldn’t and don’t understand all the hand wringing over Peacock. Don’t pay. It was Delaware and radio is free. It’s like everyone forgot radio existed and would paint a picture you can see. And it was Delaware.
Not everyone lives somewhere where they can get radio broadcasts for PSU

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Not everyone lives somewhere where they can get radio broadcasts for PSU
And televised broadcasting of the games have grown because it’s far better than listening to it on the radio. We used to never have air conditioning when I grew up, I’m not going back to that just because we used to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: jmorovich
If there goal is to move all games to subscription, it is self destructive. When I grew up, boxing was on tv all the time. Then they went to pay gmfor view. Two generations have grown up not seeing boxing. Total boxing viewership is a small fraction of before. IMHO, moving to pay for view as the primary revenue source would remove about 75% of future viewers. $5.99 last Saturday, $20+/game after they move big games to subscription.
How many here would pay $20 or even 5.99 to watch last night's Alabama game. IMHO, subscription TV is a slippery slope for MCAA sports.
I would pay $20 to watch a PSU game, for sure. I might pay it for other games depending on who’s playing.

I started with DIRECTV, and then added in various streaming channels I overpay for TV however, they get you by deliberately designing this so you need other to pick up other channels to cover your viewing needs.

If you don’t think they have algorithms designed to maximize how much you’re going to spend you’re kind of silly. We dropped certain channels from DIRECTV when the rates went up, but I had to add them back in to get the Big Ten network for football and wrestling.

I already had Peacock because it was only a few bucks a month and we also get Netflix, pay for regular, YouTube, have AMC and Paramount.

And Amazon prime. But I don’t want to go to many sporting events, maybe one Penn State wrestling match a year so for the cost of one Penn State football game trip, I could fund this stuff for months, the savings from 2 or three games covers the year.

Last edited:
Largest aluminum club in Orlando area had to cancel viewing party. Miller's Ale House didn't buy Peacock. Had to watch OSU at my 79th birthday lunch with family because our sports restaurant did not have Peacock. This is a test. If viewership drops enough, they lose the ad money from TV and will drop this nonsense. At what point will you be moved to quit kissing butt to support college fb?
Peacock is $5.99/mos and you get access to a bunch of other content
ESPN averages $9.42/mos from every cable subscriber whether they want ESPN or not. What exactly is nonsense?

They had to cancel the viewing party because they forgot to leave eye holes ...

efj13u8gowi41.jpg

Not sure why they would have had to cancel the viewing party ... just order Peacock. Problem solved.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're just bitter because you didn't plan well. You wanted to go to a cheesy chain sports bar to watch the game on your birthday, but never checked to see if they had the game. You could have made other arrangements.

For free? I haven’t looked it but I think you’d have to subscribe to a service to get such radio broadcasts
Often times, if you know a radio station carries the games, you can go to their website and listen live without subscribing to anything.

Reactions: AvgUser
It's obviously the cumulative sum of all of our financial decisions compounded by interest rates and rate of return over decades. A single $2 decision doesn't change much and much higher becomes noise eventually if you are doing it right. Habitually making unnecessary purchases or worse on credit with high interest rates or not investing a sufficient % of income does. Right out of undergrad I was putting away over 50% of my income. We all make our own decisions and live with the consequences.
You are quite a guy. Oh, wait a minute --- you've already told us that many times over.

You are quite a guy. Oh, wait a minute --- you've already told us that many times over.
Anyone can do well for themselves if they make reasonably consistent good choices. I certainly didn't come from money. You can dislike me for sharing things that worked for me if you like though. My hope would be that some of the ideas reach other Penn Staters and hopefully they can implement good financial practices at a young age.

Anyone can do well for themselves if they make reasonably consistent good choices. I certainly didn't come from money. You can dislike me for sharing things that worked for me if you like though. My hope would be that some of the ideas reach other Penn Staters and hopefully they can implement good financial practices at a young age.
I think you're right. Many will burn cash on what they call necessities and then cry broke. We do spend a lot on TV and do monitor what the costs are but we also don't go out a lot. We've cut that way down with the current inflation.

A burger and fries with a two beers was app 30 for 2, not it's 25% up or more, so we cook at home. My 240$ give or take a month is less than my old PSU donation plus expenses when I went to games over 10 years ago. I stopped due to various game day and donation changes (increases for donations) because I didn't like the game day experience. So now I can go bow hunting, then watch a game later instead of taking up the whole day. Add in time with my wife and it's a no brainer.

She's not a sport fan, so after the game we can still do things. This upcoming season I am going to at least one wrestling match and the Olympic trials, I won't miss them.

I think you're right. Many will burn cash on what they call necessities and then cry broke. We do spend a lot on TV and do monitor what the costs are but we also don't go out a lot. We've cut that way down with the current inflation.

A burger and fries with a two beers was app 30 for 2, not it's 25% up or more, so we cook at home. My 240$ give or take a month is less than my old PSU donation plus expenses when I went to games over 10 years ago. I stopped due to various game day and donation changes (increases for donations) because I didn't like the game day experience. So now I can go bow hunting, then watch a game later instead of taking up the whole day. Add in time with my wife and it's a no brainer.

She's not a sport fan, so after the game we can still do things. This upcoming season I am going to at least one wrestling match and the Olympic trials, I won't miss them.
Inflation has hurt nearly everyone over the last couple of years. There are people like you who cut back on non-necessities sensibly, and there are many others who have run up their credit and refused to change their purchase behavior. Many of those have a day of reckoning coming soon because inflation is ticking back up again and interest rates are through the roof.

• Haha
Reactions: NJPSU
Peacock is $5.99/mos and you get access to a bunch of other content
ESPN averages $9.42/mos from every cable subscriber whether they want ESPN or not. What exactly is nonsense?

I don't think people really realize how much of their cable bill goes towards sports content.
We dropped cable, and now have YouTubeTV (Already had most of the streaming services as we like their programs). But when we had cable there was not only the baked in "somewhere in here is what we are paying ESPN, and other sports rights holders" but a $14.00 local sports surcharge also for our local cable sports network.

When ESPN or CBS or whoever is paying these billions of $$ for sports content, they are not getting that all back from advertisements, they are heavily dependent on carriage fees they charge cable providers. We like sports, but the #1 complaint for many of why they wanted an al-a-carte cable choice is that they very might did not like sports and were very much aware that a large chunk of their cable bill is due to sports.

Your advice is good. I too get very tired of people who continue to make the wrong choices financially and then complain 24/7 about things. What I constantly remind younger people is to avoid credit card debt (do you really need that purchase?), to start their IRA's as early as possible and, at a minimum, take them up to the full company matching contribution (and DO NOT borrow from these accounts or choose funds with a sales "load" or high expenses), to not lease a car or buy a new car every few years, and to choose a 15 year mortgage if it is financially possible to do so. What fascinates me is that 90% of everything written about finances concentrates on building wealth, but very little talks about the tax aspects of tapping into that wealth in later years. My problem, and one many don't think much about today but may ultimately share tomorrow, is that too much is coming out 100% taxable in later years (especially when you get to having to take RMD's). In that context I encourage people to either designate initially or later convert Traditional IRA's to Roth IRA's as much as possible.

I should not have posted my critical comment. I think it stemmed from your political jabs at me, but your advice was spot on and my comment was personal and petty --- so I apologize for that.

Last edited:
Your advice is good. I too get very tired of people who continue to make the wrong choices financially and then complain 24/7 about things. What I constantly remind younger people is to avoid credit card debt (do you really need that purchase?), to start their IRA's as early as possible and, at a minimum, take them up to the full company matching contribution (and DO NOT borrow from these accounts or choose funds with a sales "load" or high expenses), to not lease a car or buy a new car every few years, and to choose a 15 year mortgage if it is financially possible to do so. What fascinates me is that 90% of everything written about finances concentrates on building wealth, but very little talks about the tax aspects of tapping into that wealth in later years. My problem, and one many don't think much about today but may ultimately share tomorrow, is that too much is coming out 100% taxable in later years (especially when you get to having to take RMD's). In that context I encourage people to either designate initially or later convert Traditional IRA's to Roth IRA's as much as possible.

I should not have posted my critical comment. I think it stemmed from your political jabs at me, but your advice was spot on and my comment was personal and petty --- so I apologize for that.
No worries and you expanded on good advice for younger Penn Staters here. Perhaps this information is worthy of its own thread once in a while to the benefit of all of us.

Reactions: lazydave841
I feel like Mary is right on the big picture here. The networks, the streaming options are piece mailing out the sports that we want to nickel and dime the sheep with all the add ons.

Our primary house is just past the zip codes that give me another team instead of the Phillies. I have the sports package and I get nearly every baseball game being played, but they purposely black out every Phillies game in my zip to try to get us to buy the MLB package. Last week, I inexplicably didn't have the local cbs station starting on the first saturday of college football due to a dispute they have on the agreement with the local station. I don't give a damn about the local station but on the first day of college football, they intentionally screwed people over for leverage in their negotiations.

Yesterday I watched Peacock but had to go to our lake house where it is still free with that cable. My sister and her family just had the free Peacock end in time to not see the PSU game. Not as big of a deal to her as it would have been to me. Bonus at the lake house is that the Phillies are the home team so I see every game when I'm there.

The point is that what you get and what you don't get is constantly changing and often they screw you over last minute to try to force a quick purchase decision. That's a horrible way to do business. But honestly, I feel like doing business honestly and upfront in general is on the outs. It used to be that doing business was upfront and you knew what you were paying for and what to expect. These days, not so much. You buy a box of something and it is 1/3 full.
First, if your primary house is just past the zip codes that give you another team instead of the Phillies, that would mean you'd get the Phillies at your primary house.

Second, if you have a peacock account via one of your cable packages, you would put the peacock app on your phone, and then you could have cast it to your TV in your primary home.

Third, you likely spent more on gas and depreciation of your car getting to your lake house than you saved by now getting the free trial of peacock at your primary home. In fact, I can guarantee you did. And you wouldn't have saved much of anything even if you ordered it at full price and then cancelled shortly thereafter.

Fourth, why, if you're THAT worried about expenses, do you have a separate (and, apparently, better) cable package at your lake house? Certainly you could work something out where you could save, having the same services at multiple locations (I know I do).

First, if your primary house is just past the zip codes that give you another team instead of the Phillies, that would mean you'd get the Phillies at your primary house.

Can't speak for the specifics of the other poster, but MLB has some arcane blackout rules and it is not unknown for a person to live in an area where it is part of a team's "home area" and thus blacked out on MLB packages (e.g. MLB Extra Innings) even though no local broadcasters actually broadcast said teams. A lot of MLB teams have designated large areas as part of what they have rights to, even if there is no channel or RSN that actually carries their games there.

Las Vegas was particularly egregious with this where IIRC all 6 California teams are blacked out there even though none have regular broadcasts there. Iowa is another area that suffers something similar.

if you have a peacock account via one of your cable packages, you would put the peacock app on your phone, and then you could have cast it to your TV in your primary home.

Is there some sort of weird login info that goes along with Peacock if it's part of your cable package that I don't know about?

Because I'm near 100% that Peacock makes you create a login profile and password and it would work anywhere that you have signal/service. You wouldn't even have to cast it from phone to TV, just have the app and login.

Unless they are Netflix'ing people out of it (which I haven't heard they are).

I would add buy memories not things.

Good morning🌄 to everyone who bought Peacock just to watch the game.
I've had Peacock for a while, now. I need it to watch Motocross and Supercross events. Plus, if my wife misses one of her NBC shows, we can always go to Peacock to watch it.

Is there some sort of weird login info that goes along with Peacock if it's part of your cable package that I don't know about?

Because I'm near 100% that Peacock makes you create a login profile and password and it would work anywhere that you have signal/service. You wouldn't even have to cast it from phone to TV, just have the app and login.

Unless they are Netflix'ing people out of it (which I haven't heard they are).
When I followed the link for my cable company's promotion I still had to create a peacock account, but was also redirected to a second page to login to my cable company account so they could verify it. This was similar to the same way you'd login to an individual TV network's streaming offerings online since those are free if you have those channels in your cable package.

Reactions: lazydave841
When I followed the link for my cable company's promotion I still had to create a peacock account, but was also redirected to a second page to login to my cable company account so they could verify it. This was similar to the same way you'd login to an individual TV network's streaming offerings online since those are free if you have those channels in your cable package.

That's what I was wondering. Just paying for Peacock standalone it doesn't do that, but I've had to do the logins you speak of for espn and others on my roku TV.

Thanks!

Begin preparing for everyone to go crazy later this week when people realize that the best playoff game of the weekend is only available on Peacock.
We used to get Peacock as part of our Comcast bundle but I cannot access sports content like the U of Delaware football game this past Fall and our MBB beatdown by Sparty last week.

Including a landline, internet and a cable sub that does NOT include HBO our monthly bill approaches $300. Comcast is our provider and they own NBC and Peacock so they are essentially double dipping with this play.

I'd expect that Miami and KC will have the game available on free over the air tv...but man this feels almost UnAmetican!

Playoff football on pay platfrom only? Ugh!

Wolves will howl. I'll just let my bride pick a movie and will use Gametracker on my phone.

We used to get Peacock as part of our Comcast bundle but I cannot access sports content like the U of Delaware football game this past Fall and our MBB beatdown by Sparty last week.

Including a landline, internet and a cable sub that does NOT include HBO our monthly bill approaches $300. Comcast is our provider and they own NBC and Peacock so they are essentially double dipping with this play.

I'd expect that Miami and KC will have the game available on free over the air tv...but man this feels almost UnAmetican!

Playoff football on pay platfrom only? Ugh!

Wolves will howl. I'll just let my bride pick a movie and will use Gametracker on my phone.
The game is available on local TV in the two markets, but everyone else will need Peacock to watch it.

Really, anything on non-local TV has been on "pay platforms" for years, it's just that the cable companies have been the ones doing the "paying", and passing it along to the consumers.

I can't say enough good things about Peacock's Big Ten Basketball coverage. Their quality is unmatched right now...great studio shows, good announcers, actual pregame shows, etc.

So the largest alum club in Orlando didn't inform Miller's Ale House that the game was on Peacock? Seems like whoever runs that alum club dropped the ball. And, if going to steaming meant less commercials and more football, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.
I was going to ask if you had cancelled after reading your first response above. Peacock is betting on people (sheep) not cancelling.

The game is available on local TV in the two markets, but everyone else will need Peacock to watch it.

Really, anything on non-local TV has been on "pay platforms" for years, it's just that the cable companies have been the ones doing the "paying", and passing it along to the consumers.

I can't say enough good things about Peacock's Big Ten Basketball coverage. Their quality is unmatched right now...great studio shows, good announcers, actual pregame shows, etc.
I've had Peacock for a while, now. I subscribed in order to get Motocross/Supercross coverage.

I've had Peacock for a while, now. I subscribed in order to get Motocross/Supercross coverage.
Same here, but due to the Premier League Soccer coverage.

People have been pushing for a la carte pricing for what seems like forever on the TV side. This is really what the future looks like...I cut the cord from Directv to move to YouTubeTV, saved a bunch of $, and spend some of that savings on Netflix, Paramount+, Hulu because my wife/kids like those things, and then Paramount Plus and ESPN+ (and BTN+ when needed) for myself. End up with tons of great content, and still paying less than I paid with DTV.

Reactions: JR4PSU
Good morning🌄 to everyone who bought Peacock just to watch the game.
And to think they were running around LA on the morning of the first Super Bowl GIVING away tickets! Now we're stuck with this obscene all day overhype with a boring loser halftime show. Just play the damm game and cut the glitz!

If you love sports, B1G+ is a much better investment. All sports, all year.
Really comes down to your interests. For me, ESPN+ is unmatched when it comes to the investment, then Peacock, then BTN+. But if you're a fan of PSU Olympic sports and don't care as much about general college basketball/football, then you might find BTN+ better. If you like Big Ten Basketball, B1G Football, Premier League Soccer, and NFL, then you might find Peacock the best.

With the a la carte stuff, everyone can decide what's best for them, and can order whichever of these things make sense. Luckily, it's all cheap enough that it's pretty easy to subscribe to all of them if you choose. Peacock at a few dollars a month is a steal for me with how much I watch it.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Based on how it went on Saturday night, I'd expect more of this in the future...23 million viewers between Peacock and the local feeds...assume this had to surpass pretty much everyone's expectations.

NBCSPORTS.com's Peter King notes he was "really surprised" the audience for Saturday's game was up 6% from the comparable Chargers-Jaguars game last year, which aired on NBC. King: "Either I underestimated the power of Mahomes, of Taylor Swift, or of Americans’ love of football" (NBCSPORTS.com, 1/15).

Based on how it went on Saturday night, I'd expect more of this in the future...23 million viewers between Peacock and the local feeds...assume this had to surpass pretty much everyone's expectations.

NBCSPORTS.com's Peter King notes he was "really surprised" the audience for Saturday's game was up 6% from the comparable Chargers-Jaguars game last year, which aired on NBC. King: "Either I underestimated the power of Mahomes, of Taylor Swift, or of Americans’ love of football" (NBCSPORTS.com, 1/15).

I don't mind streaming exclusive sports per se but my biggest gripe is that a bunch of different sports properties are scattered among so many different distinct services - all of Prime, Peacock, Paramount+, ESPN+, Apple TV and Max have properties (this is ironically the one thing that Netflix doesn't try to do... yet AFAIK). I wouldn't mind it if I could get 1 or 2 streaming services (or a discounted "sports bundle") and get everything but the piecemeal approach is annoying.

They kept marketing it as "a first time event- be a part of it!"

F- those money grubbers. It is like the old GM- Comcast owns NBC (Cadillac), who owns Peacock (Oldsmobile), who owns Comcast- Spectacor (Pontiac), who owns Comcast Sports Net (Buick), who owns the Flyers (Chevy). They keep offering line extensions and charging more for their own shit.

But my $300 per month Comcast bundle bill, along with our Amazon Prime, can't get me the PSU at MSU hoops game last week or the Chiefs vs Phins.

I worked in Media Planning in an earlier life and get the value of demos and specific audiences- but this is batshit crazy.

When I retire I'll invest the time to cut the cord. Right now too busy....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT