ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championships Session 4 Thread

Worst haircut of the B10 tourney goes to Sammy Brooks. The mullet does not flatter him.

No doubt they are both extremely talented... that's why it's so frustrating

The NCAA needs to change their rules and require that a point be awarded for 1st period to the more aggressive wrestler. The RT tie-break is also absolute bull$hit and has nothing to do with determining who the better more aggressive wrestler was for the "entire match". It is the stupidest of stupid "tie break criterias" and has nothing whatsoever to do with determining who the better "wrestler" is in a match that is tied after multiple OT's. I'd rather the tie-break be 1st TD or change OT to be no time limit and the wrestlers continue to wrestle on their feet until somebody records a TD or forces a stalling point on their opponent with their aggression.

I give Brooks major props for talking about his mullet in his post match interview with Shane Sparks. Very Funny!!

I laughed my butt off. Kudos to putting shane back on his heels.

fun match and better post interview!

Reactions: WildTurk
Worst haircut of the B10 tourney goes to Sammy Brooks. The mullet does not flatter him.
It's there for a reason. Respect the mullet lol. Bo is a dapper Read head? Lol! Thèse young men are having fun. Let em do it while they have the hair left and no jobs to look pretty for. .

Reactions: psualt
The NCAA needs to change their rules and require that a point be awarded for 1st period to the more aggressive wrestler. The RT tie-break is also absolute bull$hit and has nothing to do with determining who the better more aggressive wrestler was for the "entire match". It is the stupidest of stupid "tie break criterias" and has nothing whatsoever to do with determining who the better "wrestler" is in a match that is tied after multiple OT's. I'd rather the tie-break be 1st TD or change OT to be no time limit and the wrestlers continue to wrestle on their feet until somebody records a TD or forces a stalling point on their opponent with their aggression.
If they got rid of the clock in OT then some might wrestle for 30 minutes in the semis. Really bad idea.

That's what wrestling's all about. Gutting it out to win your final consi bout.

And won it with a TD - which is also what wrestling is all about.....he didn't look to win by going into an OT snooze-fest with guys looking for it to come down to OT RTadv which is the stupidest of stupid tie-breakers which encourages riding for the sake of riding to accumulate riding time without attempting to improve position on top, which has absolutely ZERO to do with "great wrestling".

197 B1G Championship
McIntosh vs. Nathan Burak

Per 1
MM in on a low single real early, but it ends in a stalemate at 2:39. MM in on a single again, but backs out of it (not sure why). Nothing thru 1 min. Burak with a reach, nothing. Lot of head fighting and some hand fighting. 1:30 left. MM with an ankle pick to a double for a TD, 2-0. OOB with 1:02 left. Burak up and taken back down, then cut at 55 sec. RT at 17 sec. 2-1. Burak with a reach, MM on a counter to an ankle, stalemate with 5 sec left. End

Per 2:
Burak takes down. Burak up after 15 sec but they go OOB at 1:39. Burak up and out at 1:36. RT at 41 sec. 2-2 score. 1 min left. Burak reaches, nothing. MM with a shot in on a low single, Burak holds on, and the buzzer sounds.

Per 3:
MM takes down. He's up to his base and out in 6 sec, 3-2. Burak reaches, nothing. 1 min left. MM with a shot, nothing. Burak reaches, nohting. 15 sec left. End Iowa crowd boos.

McIntosh wins 3-2, and finishes 1st

If they got rid of the clock in OT then some might wrestle for 30 minutes in the semis. Really bad idea.

Wrong genius, nobody has the energy to really wrestle for 30 minutes -- one of them would tire and the more aggressive wrestler would wear the other guy down. BTW, how do you suppose two wrestlers could wrestle on their feet for 30 minutes, not score and never generate a stall call either way??? Classic......

Yeah we have OT rules for a reason. However, I really think it's awesome how FLO does it for the Who's #1 duals, but that's only one match per wrestler. Not a tournament.

197 B1G Championship
McIntosh vs. Nathan Burak

Per 1
MM in on a low single real early, but it ends in a stalemate at 2:39. MM in on a single again, but backs out of it (not sure why). Nothing thru 1 min. Burak with a reach, nothing. Lot of head fighting and some hand fighting. 1:30 left. MM with an ankle pick to a double for a TD, 2-0. OOB with 1:02 left. Burak up and taken back down, then cut at 55 sec. RT at 17 sec. 2-1. Burak with a reach, MM on a counter to an ankle, stalemate with 5 sec left. End

Per 2:
Burak takes down. Burak up after 15 sec but they go OOB at 1:39. Burak up and out at 1:36. RT at 41 sec. 2-2 score. 1 min left. Burak reaches, nothing. MM with a shot in on a low single, Burak holds on, and the buzzer sounds.

Per 3:
MM takes down. He's up to his base and out in 6 sec, 3-2. Burak reaches, nothing. 1 min left. MM with a shot, nothing. Burak reaches, nohting. 15 sec left. End Iowa crowd boos.

McIntosh wins 3-2, and finishes 1st

Yes!!! Morgan has the quickest feet for a big fella! Pumped he won!

Wrong genius, nobody has the energy to really wrestle for 30 minutes -- one of them would tire and the more aggressive wrestler would wear the other guy down. BTW, how do you suppose two wrestlers could wrestle on their feet for 30 minutes, not score and never generate a stall call either way??? Classic......
Apparently you haven't seen the fix v suriano match at WNO.

It's there for a reason. Respect the mullet lol. Bo is a dapper Read head? Lol! Thèse young men are having fun. Let em do it while they have the hair left and no jobs to look pretty for. .

in the cobra kai that cut has its place.

Reactions: WildTurk
Can't wait to see Morgan wrestle freestyle. He's really more of 184 than 197. He's going down to 84kg. With his footwork he should do quite well in freestyle.

Reactions: diggerpup
Burak so close!. War of 2 different body styles at 197. Morgan and Nathan are both animals! Hope they meet up again at Nationals.

Another absolutely pitifully officiated match in @97. Burak does nothing but stall, stall, stall for the entire match until the 3rd period (Mac made shot after shot after shot from neutral), but the official calls nothing and does not force Burak to wrestle. Then after Smack escapes in 3rd - the official has really put himself in a bind, Smack has the lead after escaping, has been the aggressor the entire match and his best course to victory is simply hold off any of Burak's feeble attacks now that he "has to wrestle" to have any shot.....how precisely is the official supposed to call anything, he is the party that produced and encouraged the situation at hand (e.g., exclusively defensive wrestling)???? You can't reward that bull$hit for three-quarters of a match for the defensive wrestler and then suddenly penalize the guy who has carried the action the entire match by switching the way you're going to officiate in the last minute of the match???

Still Burak's job to get through Morgan's heads and hands defense. It's not like he was running from Burak, Burak couldn't break his defense to get a good shot it.

put this Thumb ring in perspective....last year our kissing cousins tied for 1st w 120 pts. They both outdid that total this year but still finished behind us by >20 pts....

realty is much stranger than fiction!

Reactions: diggerpup
Can't wait to see Morgan wrestle freestyle. He's really more of 184 than 197. He's going down to 84kg. With his footwork he should do quite well in freestyle.
I would love to see him at 86. Can he get there? Hopefully he isn't to much of a tweener. Crazy to think DT and MM at the same weight.

I really like McIntosh so this isn't a criticism, but he was blocking pretty bad at the end. You have to expect the home crowd to show their displeasure.
McIntosh is one of the classiest guys in college wrestling. And that "blocking" is called wrestling in Iowa.

Booing McIntosh? Stay classy Iowa.
Again
They are just acknowledging their college wrestling hierarchy placement. Second best, and several steps behind.

For the first 6 minutes and 30 seconds Morgan initiated most of the offense. In the final 30 seconds Burak waved at Morgan's leg 5 times so obviously in the mind that belongs to an Iowa wrestling fan Morgan was stalling.

april racer Morgan has already said he was moving down. He has smaller frame, so he should be able to go down with out an issue.

Reactions: april racer
Booing McIntosh? Stay classy Iowa.

I should have clarified a bit. They were booing near the end of the match, as they felt McIntosh was backing away, and avoiding wrestling when he had the lead. I think you would have heard the same noise if the B1G Championships were at the BJC, and an Iowa guys was nursing a 1-point lead at the end.

No biggie to me.

Coon is a beast. Big guy. Snyder normally looks huge - but not next to Coon.

Great match by Snyder.

Turned out to be a nice battle for 2nd between Iowa, tOSU and Nebraska. Good to see Cael's crew run away with it.

Please stop. You are absolutely incorrect on the slam call. It does not matter whether the defensive wrestler is in a pinning combo. Here's the rule, as it appears in the rule book:

5.8.3 Slam. The term “slam” is interpreted as lifting and bringing an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a contestant in either the top or bottom position on the mat and in the neutral position during a takedown. When a contestant lifts the opponent off the mat and brings that wrestler to the mat with excessive force, a slam shall be called without hesitation after the situation occurs.

The call was 100% accurate.
Tom,
"Unnecessary force" key. There was certainly a thud on the landing, but I have seen numerous side lifts with authoritive mat returns and nobody ever thought of calling a slam. I have seen a ton of college wrestling over a lot of years and since Bo did not pile drive the kid, nor did he drop him on his head or cause any harm I disagree. It sounded like a possible slam, but visually it to me did not look like a slam.

McIntosh is one of the classiest guys in college wrestling. And that "blocking" is called wrestling in Iowa.

I know, it is an absolute freaking joke how this conference officiated the neutral wrestling - you have Iowa fans claiming that Sorenson wrestled a "great match" against Zain - really??? I didn't see 10 seconds of "great wrestling" from Sorenson - the only thing I saw was lots of blatant stalling looking to "keep it close" but never attempting to win the match. The Iowa fans have a bizarre definition of "great wrestling" if you ask me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT