ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championships Session 4 Thread

Now, more of the same bull$hit boredom wrestling in the Bo-Jo vs cousin Is-Jo match. BoJo with a 1-0 lead but Is-Jo having RTadv, so he selects neutral.......... Yawn

Saw that one coming from a mile away - I-Mar slowed the offensive action down in neutral to nothing. The official let him just stand there with with a single or double-hook in doing a whole lot of absolutely nothing. I-Mar burnt significant amount of neutral wrestling doing nothing but standing there with a front-headlock, under-hook or double-underhook. Shame that collegiate wrestling rewards this type of strategy because it really is not supposed to be rewarded - wrestling is supposed to be about "chain offensive wrestling" and attempting to improve at all times. Rewarding "defensive wrestling" as a strategy to win is not good for collegiate folkstyle wrestling.
Take off your glasses they are blinding you.
That was the match of the tournament fella.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Underhooks...all day yeah slow. 1st match was crazy. Was it intense because one move could win it yeah but overall action from imar a little slow

Man Issac Jordan has lil cuzzo Bo's number...family fun no question...me and my cousin who's a year younger still talk about sports competitiveness in our youth. Bragging rights for the Dads that's for sure...

Iowa board is acting like they won the NCAA tourney with the Nolf loss...crazy

Of course they are. They don't have a guy on their roster in the same league as Nolf at any weight. Their program is second rate compared to PSU right now. Their jealousy seeps through the internet.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
why would anyone care? Why go to opponents board to creep what haters think? I like the Hawks that post here but I for one don't post or creep opponents boards. Seems silly. IMHO

Dude,
Take it as a compliment. Second best always adopts others' victories over the best.
Seriously. That is just the Hawk wrestling nation letting everybody know they are becoming more and more comfortable with their current placement in the wrestling hierarchy.

Reactions: smealpsu2005

Awesome stuff, I-Mar proved he couldn't "out wrestle" J-No in the first match, so he decided to show that he could out-stall him in a "have it come down to a point" defense-only snooze-fest. (ditto the supposedly "awesome" match that followed it between the Jordan's - sad that this is what is promoted as "incredible wrestling" by the b1g and the NCAA in the "Championships" which are supposed to identify the best "wrestler", not the best defensive staller..........).

Reactions: Big Blue12
Fellas, I'll ask again. Why was Cael not in JG corner? He's been in every other finals corner. Am I missing something?

Imar won - especially down the end... after all the false starts this year that OT start was sad... dictated the end of the match
JNo had plenty of almost TDs.... no worries for the NCAAs and I hope they seed them apart

tpnlion Most of the Iowa posters over here are wrestling fans and know good wrestling when they see it. I respect them and enjoy their discussion. Over on the Iowa board it is distorted to the point it's comical. It's nothing like I have ever seen before. I'm not saying we don't have those poster here, but we only have 2-3 culprits instead of lynching mob.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Why penn State is so exciting to watch does they go after it Nickal has long 3 take downs in the first.
Haven't seen at the championship match up from any other team

Reactions: diggerpup
C'mon guys it was a great match. IMAR did what he had to do to win. Nolf will be better for it. IMAR is one of the greats and Nolf already beat him and he made him earn it today. NCAA's will be fun. Why can't some of you give other wrestler's credit?

The slam was bs, this is college not freaking junior high.
Not being in position to count backs and the fact that both dumb asses were out of position is pathetic.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Not a single stall call on Brunson despite no offense in neutral and exclusively backing up - what ridiculous officiating, especially the slam call on a pinning combo. Brutal officiating especially encouraging defensive wrestling rather than discouraging it with appropriate stall calls.

Reactions: chrisrn1965
165 B1G Championship
Nickal vs. Zac Brunson

Per 1:
Quick TD by Bo, 2-0. OOB with 2:23 left. Cut at 2:06, 2-1. 1:30 left. Bo has double overhooks, tried a trip, nothing. Gets a TD off of underhook, 4-1. Challenge by Illini asst. coach Jeremy Hunter that Bo grabbed head gear. Video review. Inconclusive, so call stands. Brunson up and out at 50 sec, and Bo gets a quick TD, 6-2. OOB with 46 sec. RT goes over 1 min. Brunson up, and illegal hold (a slam) call against Bo. I agree with the call. It's a point for Brunson, 6-3. Bo tilts him, gets 1 swipe (as he was late to get into position). End. RT at 1:39.

Per 2:
Brunson takes down. Brunson is up and out in 14 sec. RT now 1:54. Score is 6-4. Bo with a pick try off an underhook, nothing. Brunson not doing a thing on his feet. 1 min left. Bo hits a pick off an underhook for a TD, 8-4. OOB with 32 left. Brunson to 4 point, and out with 13 sec left. RT at 2:24. End

Per 3:
Bo takes down. Caution on Brunson. Brunson throws in boots but Bo is out quickly, 9-5. Brunson shoots, but Bo with a counter for the TD, 11-5. 1:30 left. RT is assured. OOB with 1:02 left. Brunson out at 53 sec, 11-6. Bo with an ankle pick for the TD, 13-6, and puts Brunson on his back and gets 4 NF. Brunson got to touch off the mat so it was stopped at 13 sec left. Neutral start, so esc for Brunson. Brunson gets a late TD, and Bo gets RT. 17-9 was the final.

Bo finishes 1st, and looked pretty darn good.

Imar won - especially down the end... after all the false starts this year that OT start was sad... dictated the end of the match
JNo had plenty of almost TDs.... no worries for the NCAAs and I hope they seed them apart

Imar hit the eject button on a cpl Nolf singles to flop for Nolf's ankle. Saved him as Nolf was darn close to a those takedowns. Hopefully he has a better plan next time

Not a single stall call on Brunson despite no offense in neutral and exclusively backing up - what ridiculous officiating, especially the slam call on a pinning combo. Brutal officiating especially encouraging defensive wrestling rather than discouraging it with appropriate stall calls.

Please stop. You are absolutely incorrect on the slam call. It does not matter whether the defensive wrestler is in a pinning combo. Here's the rule, as it appears in the rule book:

5.8.3 Slam. The term “slam” is interpreted as lifting and bringing an opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. This infraction may be committed by a contestant in either the top or bottom position on the mat and in the neutral position during a takedown. When a contestant lifts the opponent off the mat and brings that wrestler to the mat with excessive force, a slam shall be called without hesitation after the situation occurs.

The call was 100% accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT