ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championships Session 4 Thread

I really like McIntosh so this isn't a criticism, but he was blocking pretty bad at the end. You have to expect the home crowd to show their displeasure.

when I hear stuff like this I draw upon great T-shirts....its ok we hate you too.

When you win the boos sound like cheers.

Reactions: Onceafish
UNL had an incredible tourney, but how about Rutgers putting up over 100 points and coming in 5th? Wow, who saw that one coming? BTW, Michigan gets the "over-hyped" award (we'll call it "The Goofer" award given their recent domination of the distinction). Michigan supposedly had a team to challenge Iowa and tO$U, but couldn't even challenge Rutgers??? Yikes! Just when you thought only the Goofs could pull off being that over-rated.....

Another absolutely pitifully officiated match in @97. Burak does nothing but stall, stall, stall for the entire match until the 3rd period (Mac made shot after shot after shot from neutral), but the official calls nothing and does not force Burak to wrestle. Then after Smack escapes in 3rd - the official has really put himself in a bind, Smack has the lead after escaping, has been the aggressor the entire match and his best course to victory is simply hold off any of Burak's feeble attacks now that he "has to wrestle" to have any shot.....how precisely is the official supposed to call anything, he is the party that produced and encouraged the situation at hand (e.g., exclusively defensive wrestling)???? You can't reward that bull$hit for three-quarters of a match for the defensive wrestler and then suddenly penalize the guy who has carried the action the entire match by switching the way you're going to officiate in the last minute of the match???

I waa thinking the same thing! The stalling has to be consistently called or not called thru-out

Cenzo looked like he was enjoying himself at the awards ceremony. I guess he didn't transfer, Taketop.

I waa thinking the same thing! The stalling has to be consistently called or not called thru-out

Stalling is supposed to be called if one wrestler is initiating all of the aggression and the other wrestler is not sufficiently active (carrying less than 50% of the initiatives). It is not legal to wrestle exclusively in defensive and "counter" mode. The best way for an official to make this clear is to call the stall against the offending wrestler because the first call is just a "warning" and no points are awarded until the second call. The officials are way too bashful with their whistles and routinely allowed wrestlers in match after match to be too passive - how on earth can Burak go an entire match without a stall call??? Mac was forced to carry the action the entire match and all Burak did was wrestle tentatively and defensively. How about Sorenson? Or even Brunson for that matter - guy got destroyed but it really happened later in the match, the official let him wrestle completely passive the entire 1st Period against a hyper-aggressive wrestler??? Not supposed to happen, if one guy is being way more active than you, you're supposed to be dinged until you pick up your attacks! The official is supposed to REWARD the active, aggressive, attacking wrestler, not the passive, defense-only wrestler - when the official makes no calls for "passivity", they are IN FACT rewarding the wrong guy and the diametric opposite wrestler they are supposed to reward! The danger and unfairness of this kind of bull$hit officiating couldn't be any more clear than the 97 match where the official completely butchered the match.

I know, it is an absolute freaking joke how this conference officiated the neutral wrestling - you have Iowa fans claiming that Sorenson wrestled a "great match" against Zain - really??? I didn't see 10 seconds of "great wrestling" from Sorenson - the only thing I saw was lots of blatant stalling looking to "keep it close" but never attempting to win the match. The Iowa fans have a bizarre definition of "great wrestling" if you ask me.

FART...Zain is so dominate it shouldn't have mattered, right?

FART...Zain is so dominate it shouldn't have mattered, right?
He was. Sorensen never tried to score a point. I'd say that as dominate as it gets in another wrestlers head. He didn't try to score... he merely tried to prevent from getting scored upon.

It's very clear that Iowa fans had more confidence in Brandon Sorensen than an undefeated Brandon Sorensen had in himself. Like calling a Iowa fans... fandom... Black.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Oh yea...him. Easy to get them mixed up. From the same guy who said IMAR didn't wrestle.

IMar vs Nolf was one of the better high level low scoring matches I've ever seen.
IMAR is the new Jessie Delgado...Grab ankles and hold on...Took 3 take downs away from Jason....They wanted to slow the match down and keep it close while Perry kept getting the match stopped for IMAR to rest when Jason was getting momentum !!! Man i am still pissed about that...

IMAR is the new Jessie Delgado...Grab ankles and hold on...Took 3 take downs away from Jason....They wanted to slow the match down and keep it close while Perry kept getting the match stopped for IMAR to rest when Jason was getting momentum !!! Man i am still pissed about that...
And IMAR had to be pushed to get back to the stripe to restart on multiple occasions by the referee. I hope Jason learns from these tactics and rewards IMAR as in the 1st match.

I was hoping Jason would continuly push IMAR out of bounds to get stall calls. He wasn't going to shoot... legitimately.

He was. Sorensen never tried to score a point. I'd say that as dominate as it gets in another wrestlers head. He didn't try to score... he merely tried to prevent from getting scored upon.

It's very clear that Iowa fans had more confidence in Brandon Sorensen than an undefeated Brandon Sorensen had in himself. Like calling a Iowa fans... fandom... Black.

Yea.....but that passes for great "Championship" wrestling in Iowa these days - focusing on how you kept the other guy from scoring rather than talking about the slick moves that led to your scoring.... IOW, pretty much what the rulebook defines as "stalling".

Look how Burak wrestled @97.

Yea.....but that passes for great "Championship" wrestling in Iowa these days - focusing on how you kept the other guy from scoring rather than talking about the slick moves that led to your scoring.... IOW, pretty much what the rulebook defines as "stalling".

Look how Burak wrestled @97.
I never saw an undefeated wrestler do so little in a championship match. Maybe Chris Perry, T-shirt (who I can't stand... well maybe Chris Perry doing nothing at Nationals and apologizing as the crowd still booed him ) ... come to mind... but add Brandon Sorensen to that list.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I never saw an undefeated wrestler do so little in a championship match. Maybe Chris Perry, T-shirt (who I can't stand... well maybe Chris Perry doing nothing at Nationals and apologizing as the crowd still booed him ) ... come to mind... but add Brandon Sorensen to that list.
The difference is that Perry COULD wrestle when he wanted to, or was forced to....

Tom,
"Unnecessary force" key. There was certainly a thud on the landing, but I have seen numerous side lifts with authoritive mat returns and nobody ever thought of calling a slam. I have seen a ton of college wrestling over a lot of years and since Bo did not pile drive the kid, nor did he drop him on his head or cause any harm I disagree. It sounded like a possible slam, but visually it to me did not look like a slam.

Unnecessary force is a big component of determining what is and what is not a slam.

While I won't argue that you've seen a lot of college wrestling, most of what you stated was a fan's perspective, and not what a ref uses to determine a slam.

Slams are not limited to "pile driving," or "dropping a wrestler on his head," or "causing any harm." In fact, the last criteria you listed, "causing any harm," is not even a factor. A ref can't wait to see whether a wrestler is injured or harmed before ruling that a slam took place.

As the rule that I quoted indicates, a slam can happen from any of the three positions in folk -- top, bottom, or neutral. The rule uses the term "unnecessary force" and "excessive force." The determination of what constitutes that is left to the referee.

Any time a wrestler is lifted off the mat, a ref is looking to see how their opponent returns them to the mat. Many refs will even state things like, "careful," or "return him with care," or things like that, when a wrestler is in the air, particularly if they are elevated to a high level, or up there for some time.

Other things a ref will consider include (but are not limited to): is the defensive wrestler's arm trapped (meaning they have no chance to break or cushion their fall); does the offensive wrestler land on top of the defensive wrestler (so that their weight comes down on top of the defensive wrestler), how hard does the defensive wrestler land (sound can be included in this evaluation, though it's also how the move looks).

More than anything that's in the rule, the ref's experience of seeing 10s of 1,000s of moves where a defensive wrestler is brought back to the mat are what make help them to make the determination whether or not to call a slam.

When Bo brought Brunson to the mat, my hands went right to my head -- the signal for a slam. I'm pretty confident that 99% of wrestling refs would have called it a slam. It really was a pretty easy call.

The difference is that Perry COULD wrestle when he wanted to, or was forced to....
Perry really surprised some people when he went out and wrestled and dominated Andrew Howe in the 2014 NCAA final. That was a great performance.

And IMAR had to be pushed to get back to the stripe to restart on multiple occasions by the referee. I hope Jason learns from these tactics and rewards IMAR as in the 1st match.

I was hoping Jason would continuly push IMAR out of bounds to get stall calls. He wasn't going to shoot... legitimately.
Definite learning experience for Jason, and he can be better for it.

Hate to see Mark Perry try to influence the match with his bogus stopping time for some small quibble.

Unnecessary force is a big component of determining what is and what is not a slam.

While I won't argue that you've seen a lot of college wrestling, most of what you stated was a fan's perspective, and not what a ref uses to determine a slam.

Slams are not limited to "pile driving," or "dropping a wrestler on his head," or "causing any harm." In fact, the last criteria you listed, "causing any harm," is not even a factor. A ref can't wait to see whether a wrestler is injured or harmed before ruling that a slam took place.

As the rule that I quoted indicates, a slam can happen from any of the three positions in folk -- top, bottom, or neutral. The rule uses the term "unnecessary force" and "excessive force." The determination of what constitutes that is left to the referee.

Any time a wrestler is lifted off the mat, a ref is looking to see how their opponent returns them to the mat. Many refs will even state things like, "careful," or "return him with care," or things like that, when a wrestler is in the air, particularly if they are elevated to a high level, or up there for some time.

Other things a ref will consider include (but are not limited to): is the defensive wrestler's arm trapped (meaning they have no chance to break or cushion their fall); does the offensive wrestler land on top of the defensive wrestler (so that their weight comes down on top of the defensive wrestler), how hard does the defensive wrestler land (sound can be included in this evaluation, though it's also how the move looks).

More than anything that's in the rule, the ref's experience of seeing 10s of 1,000s of moves where a defensive wrestler is brought back to the mat are what make help them to make the determination whether or not to call a slam.

When Bo brought Brunson to the mat, my hands went right to my head -- the signal for a slam. I'm pretty confident that 99% of wrestling refs would have called it a slam. It really was a pretty easy call.

I think the call happened because of Brunson's hands being caught inside during Bo's throw...if his hand would have been free, it lands first and the call probably isn't made.

Perry really surprised some people when he went out and wrestled and dominated Andrew Howe in the 2014 NCAA final. That was a great performance.
All it took was one single stall call against Perry. That high crotch he hit on Howe was highlight reel stuff.

Too bad the refs blew their whistles for years before that call. We might be talking about him the way we talk about Dieringer.

To his credit, Perry corrected his stalling ways very quickly ... a whole lot better than Tony Nelson did at the same event.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I think the call happened because of Brunson's hands being caught inside during Bo's throw...if his hand would have been free, it lands first and the call probably isn't made.
Brunson has a habit of getting his hands caught inside during Bo's throws ...

All it took was one single stall call against Perry. That high crotch he hit on Howe was highlight reel stuff.

Too bad the refs blew their whistles for years before that call. We might be talking about him the way we talk about Dieringer.

To his credit, Perry corrected his stalling ways very quickly ... a whole lot better than Tony Nelson did at the same event.

I watched that behemoth stall his way to two national championships before Gwiz finally put that ogre away a few years back. Very very satisfying, that match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT