ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn game Officiating crew?

PSU is like the opposing pole of a magnet to the BIG. It started our 1st year of 1993 in the BIG and continues today. Starting 9 of the last 10 openers on the road not enough proof?

and the one was the preexisting rutgers game that had been originally scheduled as an ooc and the conference left it.

Reactions: MacNit07
I mean, I suppose technically Penn State can bring in Patriot league officials if they want, right? They get to choose whichever conference they want according to the current rules. Again I'm not 100 on this, but that's my interpretation

Reactions: Online Persona
Actually depends on the crew...most of the glaringly anti psu crews are retired now
This old thread identified John O'Neill and David Witvoet as the worst of the worst.

At least with Northern officials they can count to at least 4
So if the BIG crews screw you- they do it within the confines of 4 downs instead of 3
The BIG officials just lose video feed of dropped ints in crucial games. When you could see the ball hit the ground on the megatron. Or let the 30 sec clock expire by 3 seconds on a big FG in the same game.

Was I wrong,so far we have twice the calls against us as Auburn. How many possible intentional grounding calls could have been made?
Once again we got screwed by our own officals...officials... many non calls or bad calls
Phantom holding on Dixon
No target call on Clifford
Bad spot on the non target call on Cliff
2 Phantom holding calls on the o line
2 non holding calls on AU o line
Many more...

The officiating was not great either direction.

I was flummoxed how the "end of the quarter" call was a big team OR how that is reviewable. If a play clock play if not reviewable, why would an end of quarter be? I get end of game, but end of quarter? Anyway, it was totally reasonable for the refs not to stop play (because they have to keep an eye on the play clock, the game clock and the ball simultaneously).

Some of PI/holding against PSU was super questionable. And the refs basically stopped calling anything int the last 5 minutes.

Reactions: therod
The officiating was not great either direction.

I was flummoxed how the "end of the quarter" call was a big team OR how that is reviewable. If a play clock play if not reviewable, why would an end of quarter be? I get end of game, but end of quarter?
Its a reviewable play by rule (and saw it come into play in another game today).

Phantom holding on johnny dixon was a joke

On a 3rd Down play where PSU was starting up the steamroller - a very obvious attempt by the horseshit b1g Officials to bail Auburn out and try to breathe some life into their offense. If you look at the way that play was called relative to how they called secondary play in the game for Auburn, just such a clearly bs call.

Phantom holding on johnny dixon was a joke

How about the missed BEYOND OBVIOUS False Start on 3rd-&-6 that produced a 24 yard gain and led to Auburn's initial 3-0 lead. Auburn's RT jumped way early and this gave him a huge advantage on PSU's edge-rusher.

Additionally, several replays confirm Auburn d-backs clearly actively pushing PSU players away from the ball while ball is in the air - no flags. The flag on Dixon was pure bullshit and another of the b1g's 3rd-down bailouts of PSU opponents which happen on a regular basis.

Review it for what? It was a clean hit.
Yes that's what Danielson said " it was a clean hit ". But I'm confused because on the next series when Clifford came in he stated "Clifford really got his bell rung on that last series, I'm surprised he's back in" How do you get your bell rung without getting hit high in the head/neck area?

Reactions: TN Lion
Yes that's what Danielson said " it was a clean hit ". But I'm confused because on the next series when Clifford came in he stated "Clifford really got his bell rung on that last series, I'm surprised he's back in" How do you get your bell rung without getting hit high in the head/neck area?
Getting hit in the head or neck is only illegal if it involves a defenseless player or it’s done with the crown of the helmet…neither was the case here…it was a clean hit.

Getting hit in the head or neck is only illegal if it involves a defenseless player or it’s done with the crown of the helmet…neither was the case here…it was a clean hit.
Nah, that hit was no different than the hit that Abdul Carter got tossed for.

Agree with you, Cliff was not protected by the "Defenseless Player" rule as a runner (if he was hit while throwing, he is). The hit was high but "straight up-&up-&-down" head-up such that they hit facemask-to-facemask. At the time, and having watched it several times, I really don't understand why Cliff didn't head-first dive for the first down. He could see he was going to get hit very near the marker and typically you would dive away from tacklers (to Cliff's right in this case) over the line to gain - not much different than diving over goal-line if you're going to get hit at goal-line. Defender could not have hit him square, and stopped his forward momentum, if he dives just before contact.

The ball is SUPPOSED to return to the spot of the fumble if not recovered...the ball was NOT recovered because Strange was out of bounds with the ball...at the spot of the hit, Cliff had the 1st down.

The ball is SUPPOSED to return to the spot of the fumble if not recovered...the ball was NOT recovered because Strange was out of bounds with the ball...at the spot of the hit, Cliff had the 1st down.
No it’s not…if it’s fumbled backwards out of bounds, the offensive team gets the ball at the spot where it went out.

Nah, that hit was no different than the hit that Abdul Carter got tossed for.
Carter dipped his head (not to mention the potential of a defenseless player, which Clifford obviously wasn't)…the Auburn defender led with his face mask…rules are different in those situations

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure the rule reads that it only goes back to spot of fumble if Offense recovers ball forward of the spot it was recovered (and can only be advaced if recovered behind spot of fumble if recovered by fumbler). Don't think it goes back if it goes backward or if the defense recovers it forward. Lastly, I think it only applies to 4th Down though as well.

Carter dipped his head (not to mention the potential of a defenseless player, which Clifford obviously wasn't)…the Auburn defender led with his face mask…rules are different in those situations
I still think if it was Stroud at OSU or McCarthy at Michigan there would, in no doubt in my mind, been a flag thrown and review. The call might have been thrown out but it was a bang bang play with high contact.

The hit on Clifford was clean.

However, when the Auburn OT tackled Dani Denis Sutton on the last drive and there was no holding call it was perhaps the most egregious non call in my 45 years of watching football. Unreal.
That is how players get hurt, has to be called even know the game was over.

I still think if it was Stroud at OSU or McCarthy at Michigan there would, in no doubt in my mind, been a flag thrown and review. The call might have been thrown out but it was a bang bang play with high contact.

How about none of the multiple Intentional Groundings being called or reviewed (one an uncalled Safety)? Something tells me that the calls would be diametrically opposite if it were duhO$U or scUM playing.

To be "legal grounding" the QB has to be COMPLETELY outside the Tackle Box. Take a look at the uncalled Safety, Auburn QB spins to his Left, but is hit directly behind where the LT had lined up - not fully beyond the outside edge of where the LT was line-up. Every part of the QB's body must be outside the Tackle Box and this criteria was not met on any of the 3 non-called IGs by Auburn. On one of them, the ball didn't cross the LOS - another requirement for it to be "legal grounding". The b1g clowns are ridiculous with their anti-PSU bullshit - and for those who say it isn't so, do tell how the b1g Front Office has scheduled PSU on the road in 12 of the last 13 b1g Openers including 7 consecutive years of playing their b1g Opener on the road??? Let me guess, just an accidental oversight by the b1g Homer's, not bias. lol

Reactions: creamery freak
Once again we got screwed by our own officals...officials... many non calls or bad calls
Phantom holding on Dixon
No target call on Clifford
Bad spot on the non target call on Cliff
2 Phantom holding calls on the o line
2 non holding calls on AU o line
Many more...
Yep…Par for the course! Crooked to the core.

I mean, I suppose technically Penn State can bring in Patriot league officials if they want, right? They get to choose whichever conference they want according to the current rules. Again I'm not 100 on this, but that's my interpretation
We should select some other league's officials for an away game sometime just to have the media focus on why PSU doesn't want big 10 officials.

The truth is that PSU isn't the only team jobbed by big 10 officiating. It is typically whichever team playing Ohio St or Michigan that gets the shaft. That is part of the reason why those teams often embarass the big 10 in bowl games. They aren't getting bailed out like they normally would in conference.

How about the missed BEYOND OBVIOUS False Start on 3rd-&-6 that produced a 24 yard gain and led to Auburn's initial 3-0 lead. Auburn's RT jumped way early and this gave him a huge advantage on PSU's edge-rusher.

Additionally, several replays confirm Auburn d-backs clearly actively pushing PSU players away from the ball while ball is in the air - no flags. The flag on Dixon was pure bullshit and another of the b1g's 3rd-down bailouts of PSU opponents which happen on a regular basis.
Several holds on our oline that weren't called.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT