ADVERTISEMENT

NFL officiating

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
the officiating of the Browns 49ers game was the worst I've ever seen. I am not sure if it favored one team over the other but it was bad. At one point, they called a facemask on the wrong team. On another, they measured and marked first down, then figured the chain was kinked and measured again with no first down. After that, the coach threw a flag that the ball was marked wrong and won to train that first down at a critical time.

I also saw 49er players yanking ball carrier's legs well after the play. And saw this posted on the bills/giants game.

This is all after well-documented videos showing OTs leaving early and linking up in the backfield like crazy.

NFL has to do better.

the officiating of the Browns 49ers game was the worst I've ever seen. I am not sure if it favored one team over the other but it was bad. At one point, they called a facemask on the wrong team. On another, they measured and marked first down, then figured the chain was kinked and measured again with no first down. After that, the coach threw a flag that the ball was marked wrong and won to train that first down at a critical time.

I also saw 49er players yanking ball carrier's legs well after the play. And saw this posted on the bills/giants game.

This is all after well-documented videos showing OTs leaving early and linking up in the backfield like crazy.

NFL has to do better.

Well, they saved their best for last in the Browns-49ers game, because the last two penalties that were called against the 49ers on the Browns' last drive shouldn't have been called. There were so many penalties called in that game, and both teams played very poorly, but the team that played less poorly ended up winning.

To your larger point, the comportment of the players in these NFL games is deteriorating with every passing season, and it just doesn't seem like the league or officials want it to stop badly enough, and this goes with how they wear their uniforms now (many players don't even wear their team socks anymore and basically wear shorts now instead of football plants) to the defense having to run into the end zone after every turnover, to the constant taunting between the receivers and d-backs after every pass play. I wonder if they realize how stupid they look.

Last edited:
I honestly believe the speed of the game plus us getting super slow motion replays isn't fair to the refs. Doesn't mean officiating isn't awful but it's a thankless job in which you're only going to get attention on the one or two mistakes you make during the game. They get paid well so it is what it is but replay will need to be utilized far more or differently if we want improvement

I honestly believe the speed of the game plus us getting super slow motion replays isn't fair to the refs. Doesn't mean officiating isn't awful but it's a thankless job in which you're only going to get attention on the one or two mistakes you make during the game. They get paid well so it is what it is but replay will need to be utilized far more or differently if we want improvement
check this out. the ref measures and they make it. So he stretches the chain and leans the sticks so that he doesn't make it by, what, an eighth of an inch (if at all). The coach then challenges the spot and they give the browns the first down. Reminds me of "the crooked walk" against Michigan several years ago.

Reactions: psu00
check this out. the ref measures and they make it. So he stretches the chain and leans the sticks so that he doesn't make it by, what, an eighth of an inch (if at all). The coach then challenges the spot and they give the browns the first down. Reminds me of "the crooked walk" against Michigan several years ago.

Oh--we agree about this one--I saw that yesterday and just shook my head.

NFL has to do better.

Not even close to as bad as the Giants Bills game. There were four horrific calls and all went against the Giants….that’s not an accident.

Cowboys - Bolts became borderline unwatchable.

It is simply inconceivable that two teams of putative professionals, each with above-average records, could actually be as bad at following the rules in key possession downs as suggested by the number of flags thrown on such downs it that game.

Separately, I guess it's the rule, re: the 'muffed punt', I had no idea you could just run a blocker into the kick returner and run him over as long as you didn't touch him yourself.

Reactions: Obliviax
Cowboys - Bolts became borderline unwatchable.

It is simply inconceivable that two teams of putative professionals, each with above-average records, could actually be as bad at following the rules in key possession downs as suggested by the number of flags thrown on such downs it that game.

Separately, I guess it's the rule, re: the 'muffed punt', I had no idea you could just run a blocker into the kick returner and run him over as long as you didn't touch him yourself.
Not sure either team is good. Aren't the Chargers 2-3 and needed a miracle to beat Minnesota?

NFL has to do better.

They need to put an all women's NFL crew out there and show em how it's done.🙄

That would show the NFL for what it is, pure entertainment, sort of like professional wrestling with a predetermined outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT