ADVERTISEMENT

At Large Bids

He took it like a champ against Red. Walked it off and centered right away. I wasn't watching but heard he reaggravated it against D'Emilio. The more I think about it, I think Brands played a blinking contest with Rutgers and won tbh. Don't think Jaydin was wrestling that night one way or another.
Well, Jaydin was on the mat, no warmups on and even picked up his anklets to put them on until he heard he got the ff. Rutgers should have sent their guy out just to see what Iowa would do. I personally think he was going to wrestle.

Cutting to the chase -- because the real question is about Edsell:

165 has 4 at-large spots and will likely have around a dozen or so guys eligible. The first 2 are going to Anthony Valencia (Arizona State) and William Formato (Appalachian State):
- Valencia: 2-0 H2H (Formato, Edsell); 1 NQ (Wentzel), #10 in 2/20 coaches poll; one spot out at Pac12s; (TBD); 70.0%.
- Formato: 1-2 H2H (beat Fish, lost to Valencia and Carlson); 3 NQ (Bullard 2x, Barczak); #19 in 2/20 coaches poll; one spot out at SoCons; (TBD); 78.6%.

They're the only 2 guys at 70% Win %, and 2 of the 3 highest ranked candidates (Wittlake is ahead of Formato, but imploded in most other categories).

That leaves 2 spots for everybody else.

Edsell is probably close: 1-2 H2H (beat Meyer, lost to Valencia and Carlson); 2 NQs (Revano, Olguin); #26 in 2/20 coaches poll; > 1 spot out at B10s; (TBD); 68.8%. He'll be hurt by his B10 finish. OTOH, he has the 3rd best Win % and will be among the better ranked remaining candidates.

Without going thru the rest of the candidates in detail, Caleb Fish (Michigan State) is probably ahead of Edsell by virtue of finishing higher at the same tournament.
Been looking over the possibilities this evening. I think you’re spot on with Valencia and Formato getting the first two. I then think Fish and Edsell get the last two and I think you may be leaning that way too. So those four are my predictions although nothing the NCAA does will surprise me. That and it almost seems like every year we got a bubble guy that just misses it.

If Creighton locks up one cradle on the backside of the bracket and pins another 20s seed, then that's the equivalent of him making the R12 with 2 3-2 win and then bouncing out. Every point matters.

Also, wrestlers in similar profiles to Creighton have just gone on a yolo run to make the podium.

Does either happen? Not likely but Creighton deserves the opportunity if the numbers support it as Nomad says.
Who knows, maybe he lucks into a Micic and get a MFF or 2. Rack up those advancement points.

Are brackets released tomm night already? Sorry, I’m sure it’s posted somewhere here but I didn’t see it

word is torn acl. i believe it happened in the hartman match, but not sure.
Travis grew up in my hometown in Oregon, so I feel particularly bad for him this year. Knee injuries are so common in wrestling. On another thread I noted how Kerkvliet probably injured his knee when Cassiopi wrenched his left leg outward and against the joint in that pivotal scramble. Based on their positioning prior to that moment, I think Cassiopi's actions were what got him to a more favorable position to get the reversal. Ironically (I guess "coincidentally" would be the proper term to use), Cassiopi had his left knee wrenched the same way in the tournament, injuring his knee. Wrestling is a tough sport!

Last edited:
I believe last year it was at-larges on Tuesday and brackets on Wednesday.

Save this link. The link to the selection show will become active when available on Wednesday

DI Wrestling Wednesday 3/9/2022 NCAA.com Selection Show 6 p.m. EST

After he got took his win for the Semi Mff, he had no problems jogging towards the locker room. Never had a torn acl. Maybe that’s normal.
It depends on the severity of the injury, but I mean, Spencer won nationals with two acl tears, and while I wouldn’t hold any normal human to that standard, yes, people, especially elite athletes, can sometimes function normally or appear to with an acl tear. Eric Desjardins of the Flyers in the 90s played a 20 game NHL playoff run with a torn acl.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
It depends on the severity of the injury, but I mean, Spencer won nationals with two acl tears, and while I wouldn’t hold any normal human to that standard, yes, people, especially elite athletes, can sometimes function normally or appear to with an acl tear. Eric Desjardins of the Flyers in the 90s played a 20 game NHL playoff run with a torn acl.
and spencer is far from the only wrestler who has competed on a torn acl. he wasn't even the only one last year. the name slips my mind, but i know of at least one other who did. yianni famously won his first title on a torn acl. a teammate of mine placed at the state tournament on one. i saw another former wrestler on twitter say that he tore his working a camp and didn't realize until he went to the doctor 6 weeks later because it still hurt.

plus, last year the only reason we knew something was wrong with spencer is because he was mad in his post match interview and people read his lips on tv coming off the mat. he jogged to his post match interview.

By the way does an 'at-large' bid, place you at greater risk of not making weight?

Sorry I am bored.

By the way does an 'at-large' bid, place you at greater risk of not making weight?

Sorry I am bored.

L-c1H0.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Edsell lost to Valencia. Meyer beat Valencia. Guess that meant more to the committee that the actual result of the match between the two up for consideration. My opinion… Edsell got bent over.

Reactions: nitlion6
Edsell lost to Valencia. Meyer beat Valencia. Guess that meant more to the committee that the actual result of the match between the two up for consideration. My opinion… Edsell got bent over.
Meyer has a W over Jake Wentzel also.

It's been discussed. Creighton had a way better case if he at least got to the 7th/8th place match and was only one spot away from the auto qualifier. Going 1-2 at conferences in his profile isn't very helpful.
Btw Wentzels best win this year is against a 20 ish guy in McCoy. Head to head must not mean much in the big scheme of things. Neither does win percentage apparently.

Reactions: nitlion6
That said it can still be done if someone other than Lee and RBY can bonus all the way to semis.

just remembered it was wyatt sheets who wrestled on a torn acl last year after getting in as an alternate. he placed too.

Wow, Cornell got 3 at large qualifiers. I guess since we had 9 AQ's we weren't going to get many at large bids. Bummer for Edsell! You can always argue these a lot of different ways, and in his case it didn't go the right way!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT