ADVERTISEMENT

Are college football games too long?

One of these days I'm going to go to a Capital or Otterbein game (D3 teams in my area) and see how long a game *really* takes without all that tv nonsense.

Games are now approaching 4 hours, so if 4 hours is too long for you, then yes. If not, then no.

Genius, answer this...Are there about 10% more plays run in every game today than there were a decade ago? If we found some ways to shorted the game to go back to around the same number in the mid-2000s by doing something like keeping the clock running after first downs, is there a negative impact to the game? Or is it a net positive both in terms of shorter games and helping player safety by cutting out 100 plays per season per team? When you watched a game in 2006, were you thinking "gee, we really need to find a way to make these games longer"?

There may be more plays, but that is, in part, due to teams getting plays off in 20 seconds as compared with using almost the full play clock.

This just goes to show that people need lives and real issues. This is a non-issue. More time to watch football and drink? Done!

****ing #firstworldproblems.

It's game day!!!!!

Reactions: LionJim
It seems that the majority here hates the longer games and the number of commercials.

How many here hate the money the B1G distributes to schools as a result of the contracts signed with Fox, ESPN and the Big Ten Network?

They are opposite sides of the same coin...commercializations of college football.

I agree. The games are bordering on too long usually but the issue IMO is the excessive commercials- not the game itself. The NCAA football folks won't touch that- instead they will tinker with game rules to shorten the game. The tv guy in red who stands on the field holding up play is painful. The NFL has the same issue.

As for replays- I'm not sure how much they really contribute to extending games. It is frustrating when you've seen the play reviewed with the obvious answer on tv 3 times already....then the replay official buzzes down....then he starts reviewing for way too much time and we head off to commercials. There's no excuse when the viewer at home saw the replay and figured the correct call answer in 15 seconds but it takes 5 minutes for the replay official to figure it out.
All except for the times that they clearly won't make the correct call no matter how many times they see that they blew the call!!!! Or the times the replay happens not to be working!!! Or the times....ah, never mind!

Reactions: psu00
maybe I am in a very small minority but I don't want to see any rule changes that take the college game toward being the same as the NFL game....I like that the clock stops on 1st downs and I hated when they changed the rules on clock stoppages on out of bounds plays.....I enjoy the fact that the pro and college games have different rule sets and strategies and I don't like rules for any sport being changed to accomodate television broadcasting

Reactions: MontereyLion
ESPN has an article on it as well, and many coaches and commissioners agree. The culprit is the pass happy teams, as the Big12 has the longest games. I hate to see them alter the game structure (like not stopping the clock on 1st downs ala the NFL). The one suggestion is limiting commercials, although we all know that will not happen. I am in favor of getting rid of that guy in the red jacket.
When you say getting rid of the guy in the red jacket you're not talking contract hit, are you?

I'm listening to a local Saturday morning radio show on college football, and the hosts are discussing the length of games. These two hosts are rabid fans, but are critical of how excessive commercials and reviews have contributed to making the games intolerably long for them. They claimed it is negatively impacting general viewership and attendance. Both are single with not much going on, but they said they lose their patience watching many games. They contrasted their situation to fans with families, who have less time to devote to games that last four hours or more. They also believe rising young adults will change their viewing habits given their new and expanding communications options. My biggest complaint about attending games in Beaver Stadium is not the blaring PA system but the numerous down times caused by play interruptions. I hate the on-field guy in the red jacket holding up play! They contrasted football to soccer, which has constant action for an entire half. Commercials are reserved for pre- and post-game and halftime. Basketball has lost my attention for many of the same reasons.
Not if we are winning!

quit having the referee go "under the hood" to do a review. Just radio the call down to him and move on. Everyone in the stands and on TV know the answer almost immediately. If it takes more than a minute to make/change the call, it stands as called.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT