ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently Michigan was Big Ten co-champs last year

Spartan4ever

May 29, 2001
If they can't actually win one they just make one up.

Pat Caputo - Jim Harbaugh doubles down on delusion

5d48aa7b5fa6b.image.jpg

Jim Harbaugh

AP Photo

What part of this statement by Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh is so very wrong:

“We’ve done a lot of good, including last year, (when) we were co-Big Ten champions. But we haven’t got to be Big Ten champions. Our goal is to win multiple championships. Our goal is to win the next game. And the last game for us defines the season. We have big goals, big aspirations.”

Hmmm. Big Ten co-champs? How does Harbaugh, who made the statement on the Barstool Sports podcast “Pardon My Take,” figure? Then again, it’s not the first time this was discussed. His father, former Michigan assistant and Western Michigan head coach Jack Harbaugh, had discussed the possibility of having a championship banner made during their podcast in November.

It’s a good idea: Only if Michigan changes its motto to, “Delusional leaders and false-claim to the co-best.”

It’s a good idea: Only if the Wolverines change the line in their fight song to, “falsely claimed co-champions of the East!”

Here’s the bottom line:

- Michigan allowed 62 points and was outscored by 23 points while losing to Ohio State for the 14th time in 15 years. The fact both teams finished the regular season with a 7-1 Big Ten record is unequivocally moot.

- Notice how after the above-mentioned throttling of Michigan, the Buckeyes were not presented with the Big Ten championship trophy? Well, that’s because there is an event, known as the Big Ten Championship Game. In order to claim the Big Ten title, a squad must win the Big Ten Championship Game. If that game is tied during regulation, they play overtime. There is always a winner. So there can be no such thing as a Big Ten co-champion.

I never, ever thought I’d have to write that in a column. That I just did only emphasizes even more the ridiculousness of Harbaugh’s comment.

Thing is, the rest of Harbaugh’s comments are fair and understood. Michigan has made strides under Harbaugh’s watch. The Wolverines' foundation is much stronger. The coaches preseason poll ranked the Wolverines seventh nationally. They have a solid chance to claim a Big Ten title this season.

But viewing 2018 through a championship prism is the ultimate reach.

Here’s the simple truth regarding Michigan football:

The Wolverines haven’t won a championship of any sort since last claiming the Big Ten title in 2004. It was before the Big Ten title game. The Wolverines, 7-1 in the conference that season, tied with Iowa, but did beat the Hawkeyes. The last time, Michigan won the Big Ten football championship outright was 2003.

Harbaugh’s absurd “co-championship” statement only added salt to the wound.

The only way Harbaugh, who is entering the fifth-season of a seven-year contract, can change that, is to actually win a title.

Falsely claiming one is frivolous and, frankly, silly.

If I was a Michigan fan I’d be embarrassed. 15 years without a BIG championship so they have to make up one? I wonder if Harbaugh will get any pushback.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If I was a Michigan fan I’d be embarrassed. 15 years without a BIG championship so they have to make up one? I wonder if Harbaugh will get any pushback.
Certainly not from JimJim and Wolvie, they’ll probably be here to ball lick this one away soon.

BUT BUT BUT OSU claims Co-Champs with PSU when PSU beat them head to head 05' 08" might as well let UM do the the same. What a Joke.

BUT BUT BUT OSU claims Co-Champs with PSU when PSU beat them head to head 05' 08" might as well let UM do the the same. What a Joke.
That was the rules then. Now, you have to play and win the championship game. Maybe, he meant that they were co-Big10 East champs.

That was the rules then. Now, you have to play and win the championship game. Maybe, he meant that they were co-Big10 East champs.

How could he be delusional enough to believe he could claim co-anything for 2018 when oh-high-ya put up 62 points on his vaulted defense????

5d48aa7b5fa6b.image.jpg

Jim Harbaugh

AP Photo

What part of this statement by Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh is so very wrong:

“We’ve done a lot of good, including last year, (when) we were co-Big Ten champions. But we haven’t got to be Big Ten champions. Our goal is to win multiple championships. Our goal is to win the next game. And the last game for us defines the season. We have big goals, big aspirations.”

Hmmm. Big Ten co-champs? How does Harbaugh, who made the statement on the Barstool Sports podcast “Pardon My Take,” figure? Then again, it’s not the first time this was discussed. His father, former Michigan assistant and Western Michigan head coach Jack Harbaugh, had discussed the possibility of having a championship banner made during their podcast in November.

It’s a good idea: Only if Michigan changes its motto to, “Delusional leaders and false-claim to the co-best.”

It’s a good idea: Only if the Wolverines change the line in their fight song to, “falsely claimed co-champions of the East!”

Here’s the bottom line:

- Michigan allowed 62 points and was outscored by 23 points while losing to Ohio State for the 14th time in 15 years. The fact both teams finished the regular season with a 7-1 Big Ten record is unequivocally moot.

- Notice how after the above-mentioned throttling of Michigan, the Buckeyes were not presented with the Big Ten championship trophy? Well, that’s because there is an event, known as the Big Ten Championship Game. In order to claim the Big Ten title, a squad must win the Big Ten Championship Game. If that game is tied during regulation, they play overtime. There is always a winner. So there can be no such thing as a Big Ten co-champion.

I never, ever thought I’d have to write that in a column. That I just did only emphasizes even more the ridiculousness of Harbaugh’s comment.

Thing is, the rest of Harbaugh’s comments are fair and understood. Michigan has made strides under Harbaugh’s watch. The Wolverines' foundation is much stronger. The coaches preseason poll ranked the Wolverines seventh nationally. They have a solid chance to claim a Big Ten title this season.

The Wolverines haven’t won a championship of any sort since last claiming the Big Ten title in 2004. It was before the Big Ten title game. The Wolverines, 7-1 in the conference that season, tied with Iowa, but did beat the Hawkeyes. The last time, Michigan won the Big Ten football championship outright was 2003.

The only way Harbaugh, who is entering the fifth-season of a seven-year contract, can change that, is to actually win a title.

They must have hire an ex-Pitt SID person.

Guys, maybe we should win the b1g championship before we make fun of michigan.

5d48aa7b5fa6b.image.jpg

Jim Harbaugh

AP Photo

Here’s the bottom line:

Well said

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT