ADVERTISEMENT

anyone know how to repair scratches in a window?

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I have a front door that is antique and really beautiful on a house I have up for sale. The previous occupants had a couple of large dogs that scratched the window. A couple of window repair companies gave me prices of $600 and $750 to replace the glass. Its oval and would have to be specially cut to size (its not quite perfectly shaped) and the way it is sealed into the door is a unique challenge as well. I've seen recommendations to use clear nail polish (Angie's list) or a metal polish. Don't want to make the problem worse than it is. I tried a plastic adhesive stencil to try and cover it but couldn't get the bubbles out.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I have a front door that is antique and really beautiful on a house I have up for sale. The previous occupants had a couple of large dogs that scratched the window. A couple of window repair companies gave me prices of $600 and $750 to replace the glass. Its oval and would have to be specially cut to size (its not quite perfectly shaped) and the way it is sealed into the door is a unique challenge as well. I've seen recommendations to use clear nail polish (Angie's list) or a metal polish. Don't want to make the problem worse than it is. I tried a plastic adhesive stencil to try and cover it but couldn't get the bubbles out.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
The scratches can't be removed, but they can be partially masked. I'd first try window film and if that doesn't work, then a headlight restoration kit. The window film should work, but it's a two-person job.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120903150348AAJBAYO

Reactions: Obliviax
Talk to the guys who repair chips in car windshields...I think they use an epoxy fill that they can polish smooth. Had a number of repairs and they are very hard to spot. Don't know if this will work on long scratch, but worth a discussion.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

If it was an auto windshield, insurance companies pay the bill, to avoid big repair dollars later. Perhaps your homeowner policy might too, though auto windshield safety is a whole different thing. Long shot, but who knows until you ask.

As mentioned, a local auto glass company will have a repair process that grinds it and fills it with epoxy. It helps to mask it, not remove it. They have vans that come to homes.

The auto headlight scratch reducer kit suggestion might also have merit. That assumes the headlights are glass and not plastic.

Or take a look at this:

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=Z-12&Category_Code=

After you read the info, call and ask for tech support. It may take a callback, but you will talk to the owner. They specialize in show quality auto protection products that work very well.
Tell him your situation Obli and he will give you his feedback.

Good luck.

Reactions: Obliviax
Unless your door window is made of safety glass, which would surprise me, the kinds of repairs they to to auto windshields won't work.

You might be able to polish the scratches out using:

a. whitening toothpaste (works on fogged headlight lenses and is a lot cheaper than the specialized kids), not gel type; or

b. jeweler's rough.

Apply with a clean, dry rag by hand or buffing bonnet attached to a drill.

If the scratches are deep enough that you can run a finger nail down them, you'll have to replace the glass.

Reactions: Obliviax and T J

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

This may help.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-s...h-scratched-and-stained-glass-on-your-classic

Reactions: T J
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT