ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone been to Byrd Stadium for a game?

10 Years After

Jul 26, 2013
Thinking of taking my 11 year old. Looking for some info on parking, what to expect from MD fans. Don't care what they may say to me but am always concerned on what my kid is subject to.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If you are coming up the hill from rt 1, stop in at 3 guys for an Italian boat, you can thank me latter.

Plenty of lots along Paint Branch DR. Around the Hoops arena and the garage are mostly for season ticket holders but may be able to call and swing one of those as they donthave a big season ticket group

I know it’s not the exact answer you’re looking for, but I went down to M&T Stadium when we played down there two years ago and their fans weren’t bad. Before the game I talked to their fans about game and team, but of course I heard some stupid shit after the game but nothing that ruined my experience.

Enjoy the game and bring back a W!

The Maryland fans are fairly non-lethal :). We had to walk a bit, but there is parking to be found. You should have a nice time.

Reactions: BBrown
Thinking of taking my 11 year old. Looking for some info on parking, what to expect from MD fans. Don't care what they may say to me but am always concerned on what my kid is subject to.

Like PSU, they are encouraging all to buy parking in advance. Check out the parking lot maps beforehand. We've got a large group of people that will be tailgating in lot W1, which is a nice area right next to the mall and not too far from the stadium. Lot A looks good, too.

http://www.transportation.umd.edu/fballparking.html

Last edited:
Saw MD play Florida State one year. Not a bad place to watch a game. Fans were civil.

Also going to the game.We have lots of family in the are and all are going to the game. There may be more Penn State fans than terps!

Plenty of lots along Paint Branch DR. Around the Hoops arena and the garage are mostly for season ticket holders but may be able to call and swing one of those as they donthave a big season ticket group

FYI, Paint Branch isn't called Paint Branch anymore. It was renamed "Campus Drive" a year or two(?) ago.

Despite knowing the area pretty well, I've never been there for a game.

Does anyone know the best strategy for buying tickets from scalpers (or random folks who might have an extra) outside the stadium? Is there somewhere folks looking to buy/sell congregate?

Three times. Albeit some time ago, one of the worst opposing fan bases you'll find. Right up there with Ohio State and Pitt.

You can buy a parking pass online for $17, and there are still some available a reasonable walk to the stadium (which is no longer Byrd Stadium, btw...now Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium).

I haven't been to a game there before but I'm going this year. Two years ago at M&T in B'more, the fans were fine. How that translates to the campus is anyone's guess, but as someone else mentioned, it's Thanksgiving weekend, and football is not UMD's big sport.

You won't get any grief from the few MD fans who attend. Much interest in that program these days. Can't help with parking advice. When i went to a game there, I parked out in the burbs in Greenbelt and took the metro to the college park stop and then the free shuttle bus to the stadium. Very easy and convenient and no traffic jams.

Stub Hub is showing lower level tickets as being "obstructed view". Why?

Stub Hub is showing lower level tickets as being "obstructed view". Why?

I believe this is due to the lower 15 rows or so being so close to field level, the players and such block some of your view. I read that you want to sit above the top 15 rows unless you want to be super close to the players

Reactions: BowieLion and Shpsu
Anyone know what section is the visitor section(s)? Maybe someone has bought tickets through our ticket office and could tell me what section they are in?

Thx

Talked to my brother, who is a Terp - he agreed that finding parking in advance would be the best move, and that you should not have to worry about Maryland fans harassing you.

FYI, Paint Branch isn't called Paint Branch anymore. It was renamed "Campus Drive" a year or two(?) ago.

Despite knowing the area pretty well, I've never been there for a game.

Does anyone know the best strategy for buying tickets from scalpers (or random folks who might have an extra) outside the stadium? Is there somewhere folks looking to buy/sell congregate?

Thanks for the update. I haven't been to a football game there in at least 10 years or so but my only knowledge of the roads was coaching in some state championship basketball games there.
I'm sure the lots and things have changes since 2012, but one thing that hasn't is that the football team will never catch up to the basketball team.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Anyone know what section is the visitor section(s)? Maybe someone has bought tickets through our ticket office and could tell me what section they are in?

Thx

I believe the visitor sections are 2 and 302. But be sure to check their official site to confirm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT