ADVERTISEMENT

A Little Reality

DrJC

May 29, 2001
Surely all PSU fans are suffering a bad hangover this morning. I am. But I want to put this into perspective and hope to get a few sane responses. We have seen a pattern develop with CJF. I think I first noticed it when we played USC and lost at the end regardless of a great game by Saquon. We seem to lack the intensity, aggression, and that is seen most in the OL and DL. IF I am right, do we blame CJF? Of course. But I also blame the AD. Wisconsin fired a fine coach a few weeks back. Why? He could not compete with OSU and Michigan and win. Yet, like CJF, he was a very winning coach. We recruit well, but not on a par with the top teams. The best OL and DL prospects go elsewhere. Something is wrong. IF it is important to win and be on top, that falls on the AD to get the right people coaching and recruiting. I do think that 9-2 is possible but maybe not probable. I feel Sean should have moved on. We need to develop Allar for next year, and maybe creating a little damage this year. It is my thought that we need to develop realism on offense. That means screen passes, quick hits over the middle, etc. Throwing fades to end zone or long passes was OK when we had Dotson or Godwin or Robinson. And, we need to coach "NASTY." Paterno's legacy was one wherein the opposing players always felt beat up after playing PSU - win or lose. You will hate this thought - hire Urban Meyer! He is a proven winner in big games. Ouch, that hurt, I know.

Surely all PSU fans are suffering a bad hangover this morning. I am. But I want to put this into perspective and hope to get a few sane responses. We have seen a pattern develop with CJF. I think I first noticed it when we played USC and lost at the end regardless of a great game by Saquon. We seem to lack the intensity, aggression, and that is seen most in the OL and DL. IF I am right, do we blame CJF? Of course. But I also blame the AD. Wisconsin fired a fine coach a few weeks back. Why? He could not compete with OSU and Michigan and win. Yet, like CJF, he was a very winning coach. We recruit well, but not on a par with the top teams. The best OL and DL prospects go elsewhere. Something is wrong. IF it is important to win and be on top, that falls on the AD to get the right people coaching and recruiting. I do think that 9-2 is possible but maybe not probable. I feel Sean should have moved on. We need to develop Allar for next year, and maybe creating a little damage this year. It is my thought that we need to develop realism on offense. That means screen passes, quick hits over the middle, etc. Throwing fades to end zone or long passes was OK when we had Dotson or Godwin or Robinson. And, we need to coach "NASTY." Paterno's legacy was one wherein the opposing players always felt beat up after playing PSU - win or lose. You will hate this thought - hire Urban Meyer! He is a proven winner in big games. Ouch, that hurt, I know.
Expecting a sane response? Are you insane?

Ironically, I had that discussion with my wife last night. Not a fan, but he is someone who could fix this pretty quickly.

While I’m not sure Urban is the answer. JF has to make a decision as to whether he want‘s to be the team‘s Mentor/Coach or Buddy/Bro. Can’t be both.
Yep, Franklin is way too cozy with the starting players. And it negatively impacts performance and development of the young players who may be better than the starters. Joe was about winning. Not just Joe, Urban was and is as well. They aren't the only coaches that put winning at the top, but Franklin is not one of them.

Joe made wholesale lineup changes in years where his teams did not play with the intensity he was looking for. Franklin, pretty much nothing in that regard.

Wallace should have been on the bench last season. He is not a B10 OT. At least not for a top half B10 team. Yet here we are, another year forward of mediocre OL play, and Wallace is still there whiffing away as DE's fly by. I hate to only single out Wallace as the rest of the OL didn't do much yesterday either. I commented in the game thread how Scruggs was 5 yards down field straight ahead, but his assignment was at the LOS on top of the RB. Just can't have that. Will we see any changes on the OL going forward this season? Unlikely.

I couldn't bare to watch Franklin's post game comments, but I'm sure he's proud of this player and that player, this person and that person. Has a ton of respect for this person or that person. And had already moved on the Minny, Minny, Minny. But unless he some how has an attitude adjustment we'll have to watch being on the short end of some stompings as long as he's the head coach at PSU.

In regards to the OP's comments on recruiting, one of the sites had a comparison of UM's and PSU's recruits that were starting in yesterday's game and it looked to me that PSU actually fielded a team of higher rated recruits. Obviously it's not all about recruiting rankings, and in the past it seemed that Franklin and his staff did a great job of evaluating talent earlier in each cycle than most coaches, with Fields and Allar being top examples of that. But either Harbaugh is way ahead of Franklin in talent identification or he is way ahead of Franklin in player development. From yesterday's display I believe it's safe to say Harbaugh is way ahead of Franklin in game day preparation and game planning. Maybe Harbaugh's way ahead in all those coaching talents.

It seemed that Harbaugh was about to get fired a couple years ago after one of the Oh-high-ya beat downs he got. But he sure has recovered, even if he loses to Oh-high-ya this season as long as it's a competitive game. And I'm betting UM's running game will look pretty good at Oh-high-ya as well. Now Franklin should be on the hot seat, and I doubt he'll move more to the disciplinarian he needs to be, away from his constant "love them up" B.S., and if he can't change he needs to go.

Sorry for the rant.....

Last edited:
I would love to respond to this "reality" check. Every time I write out the truth I have to delete it. We're not allowed to say what I think.

Reactions: manilion
Totally agree about the lack of fire, intensity, and aggression on Franklin’s teams. Just watch the O line. They literally stand up, just lean into the defender and basically dance with them. There’s absolutely no foreward push and no attempt to drive the defender off the line.

On D the tackling is not only horrible but watch the surrounding defenders. Many of them will half ass it to the ball carrier or stand still and wait for the ball carrier to come to them giving up an extra 5- 10 yards. The usual result is a ball carrier with momentum either breaking a weak tackle or at least blowing the defender back another 3-5 yards even if tackled.

I can’t really put any blame on the AD. He’s just started and inherited a mess from completely incompetent Sandy with the contract extension.

The recruiting is a never ending 2 sided coin that people flip depending on the circumstances. First we hear how great a recruiter he is and that’s why he should stay. Then we play a game and the same people start to complain that you can’t blame the coaches because we don’t have good O linemen or enough good D linemen. We have no linebackers or good enough wide receiver corps. So which is it? He’s a great recruiter or we have gaps all over the team with players who are not good enough? You can’t have it both ways.

As for Allar, I would like to see him get some serious playing time against Minnesota. Not necessarily starting but more than mop up time in the last minute. I wouldn’t play him much against OSU. That game could get ugly. After OSU I’d like to see Allar have the chance to finish the season and gain much needed experience for next year.

Urban Meyer is a mixed bag. Sounds like his personal life is questionable in many respects. He’s clearly a great coach but there’s baggage that comes with him. He certainly would quickly flip the status quo with national interest and recruiting at PSU but is it worth it? People will differ in that regard with strong opinions on both sides.

Last edited:
I would hire Urban in a New York Minute. Only because that would drive some people here bat sh5t crazy. And that would be fun to see. What’s really more important in life, wins or laughs?

Reactions: 81b&w
Along time fan and alum who has donated a lot of time and money. your post is SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!
I applaud you. I have stated these exact comments 3 years ago. I feel so sorry for the players who have great potential and not being coach by a real div 1 top tier coach, Franklin is not or EVER WILL BE!!
Needs to go TOMORROW!!!

Reactions: MacNit07
The end of the Paterno era, we were in 1st place in the Division.
I am not trying to be insulting to this team. I am looking at it from the perspective of being an over 50 year PSU fan (1962 freshman year). PSU was always known as a very physical, punishing team to play. In fact, Lou Holtz once said he dreaded playing PSU because it took two weeks to recuperate! PSU under Paterno always had tough, physical lineman on both sides of the ball., PSU played aggressive in your face football. That tradition seems to no longer be the case. We are pushed around by OSU and Michigan. We cannot make a run for the Big Ten championship or the playoffs when we are beat on the OL and DL. And where are our LB's? Where are the Buttle's, Ham's, Arrington's, Parson's, Ebersole"s, ? Without a premium on toughness and physical play we are cold meat.

ADVERTISEMENT