ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Cassar status

mjmirv

Jun 15, 2001
I'm curious what Cassar's eligibility status is? Since he redshirted last season, is he losing a year of eligibility this season and if so will he be a red-soph next season? Thanks.

...once he first enrolled his clock started ticking..
...5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility...
...this is his 2nd year - whether he competes or not...it will count as a year of eligibility since last year was his redshirt year...

Thanks for the reply. I get all that, but why isn't he enrolled then? In January I remember Cael mentioning the potential of Cassar coming back maybe to fill HWT, but that it was a tough decision because Cassar would be losing a year of eligibility. He made it sound like if Cassar sat out he would not burn a year. I just don't understand why he'd not be enrolled if his clock was running. Does making a World Team gain you an Olympic redshirt?

HERE are the Olympic redshirt criteria -- any 1 of these 4 would qualify him:

1) Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials) -- this refers to the Senior team
2) Top 8 at the 2015 Senior World Team Trials
3) Top 3 at the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2015 University National Championships (must accomplish both)
4) Previous Junior or University World Medalist.

Cassar competed at Junior Worlds, finished 8th. So he does not qualify for an Olympic shirt.

Anthony is working out with the NLWC, but not in school. And, as others have stated, his eligibility clock started in 2014-15.

Thanks for the reply. I get all that, but why isn't he enrolled then? ......... I just don't understand why he'd not be enrolled if his clock was running. Does making a World Team gain you an Olympic redshirt?
Please don't take my response wrong, not being snippy...
This is a case where the wrestler and his family made a decision that was in their best interest, considering all factors, not just wrestling. It's no one's business but theirs.

Thanks for the responses. Roar that is no problem. I was only interested in his eligibility remaining and was hoping he'd still have 4 years left, not 3. SpikingWhamos response would make a lot of sense.

I think not taking classes may also give him more time to rehab and for the lost year.....he would have been behind Smack and allow him to ease back into full out wrestling.

Could him not being enrolled in school count as a grey shirt year? Nickerson left Cornell going into his junior year and then came back the following school year with 2 years left of eligibility

Could him not being enrolled in school count as a grey shirt year? Nickerson left Cornell going into his junior year and then came back the following school year with 2 years left of eligibility
Don't think Grey shirt is an NCAA thing. Just a term given to kids who chose to delay enrollment, which starts the clock.

Ivies don't allow regular redshirts but they do allow medical hardships. Nickerson was given an extra year because he missed a full season with a shoulder injury.

Enrolled or not makes NO difference. His 5 year clock has already started when he enrolled full time in the fall of 2014 and he only has 3 years of eligibility left, A grey shirt is when you delay enrollment by a year after graduating HS to delay the start of the 5 year clock.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT