ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Bourdain suicide...

You don't like celebrities offering their political view point or don't like celebrities offering a viewpoint different than yours?

Do you feel the same way about James Woods' viewpoints or Ted Nugent's as you do about Rosie O'Donnell's?

And why are celebrities admonished for having viewpoints but the general population isn't? Or posters on internet message boards?

Just who is allowed to have political viewpoints? Other than politicians that is?

You think I like Ted Nugent? Really? He's a good example of what I'm talking about. When I was in high school Ted Nugent was one of the hot rock stars. As such, pretty much by default I and many others thought he was cool and thus put value into whatever he said. He wasn't publicly into right wing politics then (as least as far as I know) but he did make that song "Great White Buffalo" that lionized Native Americans for being such great stewards of the environment. "And then came the white man...with their thick and empty heads they couldn't see past their billfold...they wanted all the buffalo dead."

I bought it. Know why? Because Ted Nugent was saying it. Isn't it sad and pathetic that someone believes something just because a rock star said it? I have somewhat of an excuse because I was young and didn't have a strong enough mind to think for myself.

Of course in reality the Native Americans weren't great stewards of the environment and neither is any people that poor. They did use as much of the buffalo after they killed it but that's because they were poor and thus couldn't afford to waste anything. It's only when people attain some level of material wealth that they start having the luxury of worrying about the environment.

Ted Nugent is plainly an idiot and so is Rosie O'Donnell. All you have to do to know that is listen to them talk. The fact that they may express an opinion that you agree with now and then is coincidental. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

But Ted Nugent can play some music and Rosie O'Donnell can do some comedy and some TV banter shows. Those are skills. How about just appreciating them for those skills and then move on?

Reactions: Ezcheez
Can you give me one example of an article making his suicide look romantic? Sounds like BS.
They aren't talking about it. So romanticizing his life without specifying the selfishness of his final act make his entire existence sound ideal. If reminds me of the magazines putting the Boston bombers on the cover of their magazines. In a way they read the behavior

Back to AB, I am sure their are week people thinking 'if I kill myself, people will love me when I am gone'.

I think if you decide you want to set up and pay for website, you can put whatever you want on the website. I think if you don't like cnn website you can read some other website, just like if you dont like awards shows you should not watch them.

You think there ought to be all these rules governing what a private company does with its money to serve you, who pays next to nothing for their service.

Actors have political opinions. Ronald Reagan was one. You disagree with the opinions in this case. So you propose that some stranger to the business, you, be permitted to make content decisions for the network. How does that follow?
The same, then, would apply to a sports league too.

Good god, man. He was an employee of CNN, and a big part of their programming.

And CNN, for better or worse, isn't just a "news" channel anymore. They now produce/show original programming like Bourdain's show(s) and documentaries. But in any event, the Bourdain news/story is probably a bigger deal to CNN viewers than to those who aren't CNN viewers, so I would expect to see more Bourdain-related content on CNN than on other sites. CNN is just giving their customers what they think they want.

When you first started posting in this thread, you were treading lightly and trying to make yourself appear objective (and for a brief moment, I was buying it), but with each of your posts it's become abundantly clear that you have a political viewpoint (as we all do), and you don't like voices that don't always agree with your political viewpoint (perfectly normal). BUT, you think those voices (or "news" websites) should just shut up with the communication that doesn't agree with your political viewpoint.

You don't want to hear (read) it from them, so they shouldn't say (write) it. You like your bubble nice and clean of any information/opinion that may challenge what you already think.

You completely misread me. You are assuming I'm annoyed with the views expressed rather than the manner. I've voted nine times for POTUS in my life and five have been 3rd party and four have been Democrat, including Hillary in 2016 (and if I had to do it over I'd vote 3rd party in that one too although that doesn't have anything to do with celebrities speaking on politics). I am not a right winger. I value having an independent mind above just about anything.

But the Hollywood folks are sleazy and not trustable. I've been saying it for a long time and guess what, in the past year it has come out that there has been rape and child abuse in the industry for decades and everybody knew and nobody did anything. I'd like to pretend I'm some sort of Nostradamus at foreseeing the outing of their sleaze but I can't because it was so obvious to me.

I've posted this before. It's Roman Polanski getting an Oscar in 2003. This isn't the expression of one person in a ten second span but rather of an entire industry over months culminating in this moment.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2F2BEEF04C70B1C4B9172F2BEEF04C70B1C&FORM=VIRE

And, to their credit, they earned (by some way shape or form), the opportunity to have that platform. Whether we agree with them or not, or whether we like what skill set they have that allowed them to have that platform - they have earned it. Whether it's Roseanne Barr, Meryl Streep, LeBron James, James Woods or anyone else.
James Woods lost all of his rights long ago. He should be in prison. He's a pedophile.

The same, then, would apply to a sports league too.
Yes it would, if we were not talking about the head of the federal government trying to mandate patriotism.

See I pay his salary. Not CNN's. Not Meryl Streep's. So its the same, except with giant differences.

Reactions: Nittany_93
"But the Hollywood folks are sleazy and not trustable. I've been saying it for a long time and guess what, in the past year it has come out that there has been rape and child abuse in the industry for decades and everybody knew and nobody did anything. I'd like to pretend I'm some sort of Nostradamus at foreseeing the outing of their sleaze but I can't because it was so obvious to me.."

X10000

Yes it would, if we were not talking about the head of the federal government trying to mandate patriotism.

See I pay his salary. Not CNN's. Not Meryl Streep's. So its the same, except with giant differences.

This started in August of 2016 during the prior administration.... In fact the eighth year of the prior administration.

This started in August of 2016 during the prior administration.... In fact the eighth year of the prior administration.

And it was done to bring attention to white cops killing unarmed minorities. It was your boy who helped twist the message into an anti-military issue. Which every single relatively intelligent person knows is not the fact.

But your boy subscribes to the "White over right" mantra and the Lower White sheeples stupidly ate it up.

And it was done to bring attention to white cops killing unarmed minorities. It was your boy who helped twist the message into an anti-military issue. Which every single relatively intelligent person knows is not the fact.

But your boy subscribes to the "White over right" mantra and the Lower White sheeples stupidly ate it up.
That's a bit unfair. Anti cop or anti military or doesn't make much difference. And btw I have always agreed on the cops option of minorities, but I am not happy with people using their place of business for politics.

The President calling people sonsofbitches over flag manners? Lol. No, that was your boy.

I know you want to make this a trump thing but it is not. This started under the previous administration and had never changed. Trump being for or against is immaterial.

Reactions: Gnat91 and TheGLOV
That's a bit unfair. Anti cop or anti military or doesn't make much difference. And btw I have always agreed on the cops option of minorities, but I am not happy with people using their place of business for politics.

It's their place of business. Not yours. They can use it to express their viewpoint.

If you were really concerned about businesses as a platform for politics you would be against saluting the flag at sporting events. At all.

It's their place of business. Not yours. They can use it to express their viewpoint.
Anti cop or anti military makes a difference to Trump. He attacks the FBI every day. If you're right, then trump is a sonofabitch, and ought to be fired.

Or is the analysis different when the cops are after YOU? LOL.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

If you were really concerned about businesses as a platform for politics you would be against saluting the flag at sporting events. At all.
Exactly. People don’t go out to a business dinner and sing the anthem or say the pledge. It’s not a requirement to logon to a PC at work either.

Car dealers often fly giant American Flags at their lots, and sports franchises always play the anthem before games- why is that?

Anti cop or anti military makes a difference to Trump. He attacks the FBI every day. If you're right, then trump is a sonofabitch, and ought to be fired.

Or is the analysis different when the cops are after YOU? LOL.
Nice straw man. Trump attacks the scumbags at the fbi, which there undoubtedly are some or were some. I know that’s inconvenient for you, so please continue to make up whatever facts you want to.

Nice straw man. Trump attacks the scumbags at the fbi, which there undoubtedly are some or were some. I know that’s inconvenient for you, so please continue to make up whatever facts you want to.
Ok, all the players are saying is there are plenty of scumbags in the local police too.

You're still stuck, even if you are too dim to see it.

Ok, all the players are saying is there are plenty of scumbags in the local police too.

You're still stuck, even if you are too dim to see it.
Lol. You’re a genius in your own mind.

The players can say whatever they want. But they shouldn’t expect their employers to pay for a venue for them to do so.

James Woods lost all of his rights long ago. He should be in prison. He's a pedophile.

I couldn't be more indifferent toward James Woods. But we might want to be careful about convicting people based on Twitter accusations.
We know for sure Woods likes to date 19 year olds. Creepy. Not a crime.

The owners place of business? I agree. Not the players. And as viewers we can choose to watch out not.

It's not about oppression, it's about business. The player is free to use their platform any time they want off the field. If their actions are hurting business the owners will be, and are, compelled to act.

Again, I agree with their root cause but this is not helping them. The are alienating as many as they are converting. And what is the endgame? Is it ok to protest that the girl scouts didn't proofing enough thin mints this year?

The owners place of business? I agree. Not the players. And as viewers we can choose to watch out not.

It's not about oppression, it's about business. The player is free to use their platform any time they want off the field. If their actions are hurting business the owners will be, and are, compelled to act.

Again, I agree with their root cause but this is not helping them. The are alienating as many as they are converting. And what is the endgame? Is it ok to protest that the girl scouts didn't proofing enough thin mints this year?

But if the players make their money there, is it not their place of business? Just like your office, or my office is?

And, you never answered the other questions/addressed comments about politics in business. Either mine or others.

*What* started during the prior administration? NFL protests?

I couldn't be more indifferent toward James Woods. But we might want to be careful about convicting people based on Twitter accusations.
We know for sure Woods likes to date 19 year olds. Creepy. Not a crime.

16 year olds. David Cross' wife, Amber, was 16 years old, and her girlfriend, was 15 years old, when Woods tried to pick them up in a restaurant. Both groping, and verbal sexual advances. Documented.

I truly doubt that they share your view about the proper way to object to police brutality. And, it says a lot about NFL owners that they will punish players for less than perfect patriotism while they look the other way on DV.

Last edited:
16 year olds. David Cross' wife, Amber, was 16 years old, and her girlfriend, was 15 years old, when Woods tried to pick them up in a restaurant. Both groping, and verbal sexual advances. Documented.
Documented by whom? Amber Tamblyn? CNN? Yeah, they're credible. I can't find anything about groping.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/entertainment/amber-
tamblyn-james-woods-open-letter/index.html

Like I said, I could care less about James Woods. And I hope the Cosby's and Weinstein's of the world get theirs. But this is she said, he said. Far from convicted. I'm not suggesting James Woods is innocent. I have know idea (nor do you). But this Twitter-lante justice is going to ruin some innocent lives. Unless of course, all men are guilty until proven innocent and all women are above reproach.

Documented by whom? Amber Tamblyn? CNN? Yeah, they're credible. I can't find anything about groping.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/entertainment/amber-
tamblyn-james-woods-open-letter/index.html

Like I said, I could care less about James Woods. And I hope the Cosby's and Weinstein's of the world get theirs. But this is she said, he said. Far from convicted. I'm not suggesting James Woods is innocent. I have know idea (nor do you). But this Twitter-lante justice is going to ruin some innocent lives. Unless of course, all men are guilty until proven innocent and all women are above reproach.
If you could care less about James Woods(and you're saying it wrong, it's "could NOT care less), then why are you attacking the character of Amber Tamblyn and her testimony?

James Woods is a pedophile.

Exactly. People don’t go out to a business dinner and sing the anthem or say the pledge. It’s not a requirement to logon to a PC at work either.
How about giving respect to a country that allows people that should be digging ditches and only made it through college with tons of "help"....and athletic ability to make millions .. If you don't like what this country has afforded you .. You have other options... You don't have to stand for the nation anthem while you're paving highways...

How about giving respect to a country that allows people that should be digging ditches and only made it through college with tons of "help"....and athletic ability to make millions .. If you don't like what this country has afforded you .. You have other options... You don't have to stand for the nation anthem while you're paving highways...
Do they play the national anthem at construction sites?

You mean like John Urshel?

Why is hasn’t this thread been deleted (or at least moved to the test board?

If I recall, a poster started a thread earlier today with a link to a news article discussing illegal immigration and the enforcement of immigration laws along with the effect on families. The OP (of that thread this morning) expressed his support of the enforcement of such laws, albeit crudely. It was deleted in less than an hour.

Why is hasn’t this thread been deleted (or at least moved to the test board?

If I recall, a poster started a thread earlier today with a link to a news article discussing illegal immigration and the enforcement of immigration laws along with the effect on families. The OP (of that thread this morning) expressed his support of the enforcement of such laws, albeit crudely. It was deleted in less than an hour.

Publicly displaying TDS like an epileptic, Tourette syndrome sufferer is in bounds. Any public support for dissenting views is subversive and dangerous and must be deleted or moved to the test board.

Reactions: Gnat91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT