ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Bourdain suicide...

snowflake-photo_wallpapers_31836_1600x1200.jpg

How about giving respect to a country that allows people that should be digging ditches and only made it through college with tons of "help"....and athletic ability to make millions .. If you don't like what this country has afforded you .. You have other options... You don't have to stand for the nation anthem while you're paving highways...
I was raised to stand for the National Anthem and I always do. But I also understand that we have First Amendment rights in this country. Almost as importantly, enforced displays of patriotism strike me as worse than meaningless. If someone is unwilling to show respect for the flag or the Anthem, it bugs me, but coerced displays of patriotism are not genuine, and are, IMO, a lamentable charade.

I was raised to stand for the National Anthem and I always do. But I also understand that we have First Amendment rights in this country. Almost as importantly, enforced displays of patriotism strike me as worse than meaningless. If someone is unwilling to show respect for the flag or the Anthem, it bugs me, but coerced displays of patriotism are not genuine, and are, IMO, a lamentable charade.
First amendment rights protect you from government not private business. And this Mess started long before trump was president, including the loss of ratings

First amendment rights protect you from government not private business. And this Mess started long before trump was president, including the loss of ratings
I agree, Obli. If what you are referring to is the kneeling thing, the fans are free to bail on NFL games or try to pressure the owners to in turn pressure the players not to kneel. No First Amendment violation in that.

My personal view is that the NFL probably has the best (not perfect, but best) available solution to a difficult problem here. Players who do not want to stand for the Anthem have the option of remaining in the locker room. It prevents them from making their protest, but neither are they forced to stand in what would be a charade of faux patriotism.

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax
Well they didn’t bash him for doing this and dared to memorialize his life. More dumb fake outrage to be honest.
I agree. The news was saying he was an Icon. I have talked to about 20 people and very few even knew who he was

Amazing that Rose McGowan is urging people to lay off Argento though. Argento was cheating on him, and it was photographed. Don't play the Me Too card when you're cuckolding your man.

Amazing that Rose McGowan is urging people to lay off Argento though. Argento was cheating on him, and it was photographed. Don't play the Me Too card when you're cuckolding your man.
The #metoo movement is not about cheating spouses/intimate partners.

Just to finish this thread out...there were no narcotics found in Bourdain's body.
This did not surprise me when I read it today. I've mentioned here before I am in long-term "recovery". I have seen well over a dozen friends commit suicide in the last decade while they were technically sober from drugs/alcohol. Every suicide is heartbreaking and this is no different.

It always hurts when some hot chick half your age cheats on you, but does that really warrant a belt around your neck? When you have a child?

Robin Williams, I can perhaps understand a bit better, as he had a disease that was going to kill him shortly afterward anyway, but this guy, I don't get it.

So tired of hearing about this loser chef. He was a loser chef who offed himself. Does not deserve anywhere near the exposure he is getting. The world will not care in a day or two. No impact on most lives.

So tired of hearing about this loser chef. He was a loser chef who offed himself. Does not deserve anywhere near the exposure he is getting. The world will not care in a day or two. No impact on most lives.

Loser chef?? No impact on most lives?! Woah buddy, take a lap! You have no idea how many people's lives he impacted in a very positive way.. and this coming from a person who lives thousand's of miles away! You probably took a piss on JoePa's grave also. If you were to leave this board, the world would not care in a minute or two!

You can’t be that tired about hearing about this loser chef because you clicked on a thread about the loser chef and bothered to comment on him.
As far as celebrity suicides go, I still find this one pretty shocking. And completely selfish. I can’t imagine how much you have to be hurting to do this at all, let alone with a young child to care for. It’s baffling.

I'd say the only loser is the tart who pranced around Paris with some other guy on her arm, while claiming to be his girlfriend, and at the same time holding herself up as some kind of pillar of integrity in the Me Too movement.

Reactions: First Last and Ski
I'd say the only loser is the tart who pranced around Paris with some other guy on her arm, while claiming to be his girlfriend, and at the same time holding herself up as some kind of pillar of integrity in the Me Too movement.

Second time someone has conflated her potentially having an affair with the MeToo movement. Please tell me you people do understand the stark difference between a consensual, albeit morally wrong relationship, and forced criminal sexual assault. How in the world are the two things being discussed together, there is absolutely nothing to be drawn from one against the other.

This did not surprise me when I read it today. I've mentioned here before I am in long-term "recovery". I have seen well over a dozen friends commit suicide in the last decade while they were technically sober from drugs/alcohol. Every suicide is heartbreaking and this is no different.

Best wishes on your continued recovery. Stay the path!

Second time someone has conflated her potentially having an affair with the MeToo movement. Please tell me you people do understand the stark difference between a consensual, albeit morally wrong relationship, and forced criminal sexual assault. How in the world are the two things being discussed together, there is absolutely nothing to be drawn from one against the other.
Yikes. news out today is that Argento paid a kid $380,000 to keep quiet about an affair when he was just 17. One gets the idea that Hollywood is just a snake pit with a mixture of ambitious sycophants and narcissistic predators. Throw in some hard drugs for good measure.

Which is worse, the Catholic Church or Hollywood?

Yikes. news out today is that Argento paid a kid $380,000 to keep quiet about an affair when he was just 17. One gets the idea that Hollywood is just a snake pit with a mixture of ambitious sycophants and narcissistic predators. Throw in some hard drugs for good measure.

Which is worse, the Catholic Church or Hollywood?

Here's the thing about Hollywood and the media. They're the ones that tell the stories. If all you read was media controlled by the Catholic Church their scandals would seem much less bad. As a corollary, I suspect the true extent of the scandals in Hollywood and the media are much worse. We don't hear about it because, like I say, they're the ones telling the story so naturally they're not going to emphasize their bad stuff in the same way that the Catholic Church doesn't emphasize their bad stuff in whatever media they control.

I think all the stuff we saw the last year or so is only the tip of the iceberg.

But the most amazing thing of all for me was the 2003 Oscars. I only became aware of this in 2017. Roman Polanski left the country 20+ years before to escape sentencing for child sex charge and he made a movie in 2002 and the Academy, which is the voice of Hollywood as a whole, nominated him for an Academy Award! And then he won the Academy Award. And the crowd gave the award announcement a standing ovation! Why wasn't this the biggest news story ever?

Reactions: N&B4PSU and wbcincy
Here's the thing about Hollywood and the media. They're the ones that tell the stories. If all you read was media controlled by the Catholic Church their scandals would seem much less bad. As a corollary, I suspect the true extent of the scandals in Hollywood and the media are much worse. We don't hear about it because, like I say, they're the ones telling the story so naturally they're not going to emphasize their bad stuff in the same way that the Catholic Church doesn't emphasize their bad stuff in whatever media they control.

I think all the stuff we saw the last year or so is only the tip of the iceberg.

But the most amazing thing of all for me was the 2003 Oscars. I only became aware of this in 2017. Roman Polanski left the country 20+ years before to escape sentencing for child sex charge and he made a movie in 2002 and the Academy, which is the voice of Hollywood as a whole, nominated him for an Academy Award! And then he won the Academy Award. And the crowd gave the award announcement a standing ovation! Why wasn't this the biggest news story ever?

Well, Whoopi Goldberg said what Polanski did “wasn’t ‘rape’ rape.” So there’s that.....

FYI: "The media" is not the same thing as "Hollywood." Just because you see both of them on your TV doesn't mean they're the same thing.

Very Cool Parts Unknown piece from June on McDowell County WV. Excellent music toward the end from Tyler Childers.

Agree. He just exacerbated the situation by about 100 by involving himself.
I don't agree. It was a mess before Trump got involved. It wasn't going to go away easily. There was no end game, no coordination, no message. Several owners waded in. Kaep exacerbated it by wearing pig/cop socks and his GF tweeting out pictures insinuating the Ravens owner was a slave trader.

I agree Trump should have kept his trap shut but it would still be this big of a mess with or without him. NFL is in trouble....they aren't going bankrupt, but they are beginning to ignore their base and wading into politics. No company in america would allow an employee to make political statements as part of their job. NFL should have nailed this in the butt...but didn't...now they have a mess that is not going away no matter who is president.

I don't agree. It was a mess before Trump got involved. It wasn't going to go away easily. There was no end game, no coordination, no message. Several owners waded in. Kaep exacerbated it by wearing pig/cop socks and his GF tweeting out pictures insinuating the Ravens owner was a slave trader.

I agree Trump should have kept his trap shut but it would still be this big of a mess with or without him. NFL is in trouble....they aren't going bankrupt, but they are beginning to ignore their base and wading into politics. No company in america would allow an employee to make political statements as part of their job. NFL should have nailed this in the butt...but didn't...now they have a mess that is not going away no matter who is president.

Yes we will disagree on this. IMO Trump made it 100x worse than it was.

Reactions: Obliviax
FYI: "The media" is not the same thing as "Hollywood." Just because you see both of them on your TV doesn't mean they're the same thing.

I realize that and it was a somewhat of a shorthand to lump the two together. But they are both big players in the business of telling stories and relating narratives to the public. While I think there's probably more bad stuff in the media we didn't hear about I think it's more likely to come out. OTOH I suspect there is way, way more stuff that happened in Hollywood that we'll never hear about.

I've watched a few of these Pre-Season NFL games and how they (Godell and CO.) manage to screw up an almost perfect game is mind boggling.
There are now more flags and stoppages than ever before. This new tackling rule is about as clear as last years "Catch" rule.
Unbelievable. I will probably be watching even less this year and, for me, its got nothing to do with kneeling, standing, sitting...whatever, its the fact that they are making this unwatchable. :mad:

Reactions: Obliviax
I've watched a few of these Pre-Season NFL games and how they (Godell and CO.) manage to screw up an almost perfect game is mind boggling.
There are now more flags and stoppages than ever before. This new tackling rule is about as clear as last years "Catch" rule.
Unbelievable. I will probably be watching even less this year and, for me, its got nothing to do with kneeling, standing, sitting...whatever, its the fact that they are making this unwatchable. :mad:

Replay is not helping matter either. I can handle a bad call as long as it’s not intentional much more than I can handle idiotic delays to look at a replay.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT