ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Bourdain suicide...

I know several kids on those types of meds. All come from middle and/or upper middle class 'stable' families. All of the kids are on drugs because the mom essentially pushed the doctor to the point of making it happen. Some of the parents went to three or four different doctors before finally finding one that 'agreed' with their personal diagnosis. It is the parents who are the issue, not the doctors 99 times out of 100. Doctors aren't 'experimenting' with drugs on kids because they own shares in Merck or Pfizer, if you think that then you are part of the problem.
Agree. 'here is my kid, fix him.'

I know several kids on those types of meds. All come from middle and/or upper middle class 'stable' families. All of the kids are on drugs because the mom essentially pushed the doctor to the point of making it happen. Some of the parents went to three or four different doctors before finally finding one that 'agreed' with their personal diagnosis. It is the parents who are the issue, not the doctors 99 times out of 100. Doctors aren't 'experimenting' with drugs on kids because they own shares in Merck or Pfizer, if you think that then you are part of the problem.
So parents can prescribe meds? I think not. Hippocratic oath dictates do no harm. How do you know all come from middle class families? Where are your stats? See, just don’t throw out bullshit and expect it to stick.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ayments-mirror-doctors-brand-name-prescribing

And I know these kids, they don't need medication. One girl has missed so much school that the mom is getting a lawyer involved to make sure that she passes 8th grade because she has missed too many days to qualify. Yet this same girl is plenty 'healthy' enough to participate in club sports 4 nights per week. These parents are the ones with the disease most times, not the kids. It is way more of the middle and upper class families with good medical benefits that are over medicating, not the poor people with limited to no health care coverage. And these people are educated people that should not be 'fooled' by the drug companies. They are just weak minded individuals who are looking for excuses for the daily issues that people have in life.

He did a show on a town near me In MA that I was pretty disappointed with. There are a number of good new restaurants there and all he did was talk about the opioid crisis. Now that was a legit topic for some Sixty Minutes episode, but that's not why people watched him.

wow.

Well he was clearly having drug issues.

Maybe it's time to change the conversation about suicide... again.
CDC just released new surveillance report on suicide in the USA. The numbers and rates have been increasing since the nadir in 1999, now standing at 15/ 100,000/yr, more than 45,000 deaths per year 10th leading cause death; one of only three causes that are increasing. This represents 25% increase in that time period. The increase has been nation wide. Half of all suicide deaths are from gunshot. The main group at risk is middle aged males. And there was a significant increase in deaths among people without a recognized/ diagnosed mental illness, but who were in some other type crisis, family/ marriage, job, financial. These should be sobering statistics for all of us.

OT - Why is it that every time I go the the Dr and Dentist, I feel like I’m being “churned” as a profit center? Yeah, we have to do more blood work or I want to take some x-rays.

What? Why?...”well because we want to know if the prescription is working”. That’s the answer I got yesterday regarding a simple low dosage of blood pressure meds. I said “my bp is in the optimal range right? Then why?”

Just curious, does anyone know what % of GDP the US spends on Health and Pharma? What’s the trend? And what are our neighbors and allies?

Because if they don't ask and you end up having a complication, then you sue the doctor. If they ask and you say no, then they are covered. Everything the doctor does is to prevent getting sued pretty much in today's world. Plus everything has to be documented to get paid by the insurance company. It is just a self defense mechanism. You say you have a sympton and they don't prescribe something, then you can sue them in the 1 in million chance what you had was super serious. If you prescribe something for the ailment you say you have, then you cannot sue them. Literally that is what a lot of it is. So easier for the doctor to oversubscribe medication to prevent the one case every few years that he gets sued for multi-millions of dollars.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I really liked the idea of his show, but TBH, there was something dark and cynical about his personality that made me not want to watch it that much. Also, it seemed kind of weird to be getting political lectures from a cook/ex? junkie.

Not sure why it matters that he was a cook. If you don't want politics, fine but why does him being a cook matter.

CDC just released new surveillance report on suicide in the USA. The numbers and rates have been increasing since the nadir in 1999, now standing at 15/ 100,000/yr, more than 45,000 deaths per year 10th leading cause death; one of only three causes that are increasing. This represents 25% increase in that time period. The increase has been nation wide. Half of all suicide deaths are from gunshot. The main group at risk is middle aged males. And there was a significant increase in deaths among people without a recognized/ diagnosed mental illness, but who were in some other type crisis, family/ marriage, job, financial. These should be sobering statistics for all of us.

My amateur theory based on nothing but opinion. People don't connect on a personal level anymore. Texting on cell phones and posting on social media are "fake" socializing. Families are smaller, so people have less close relatives. While being more "connected" via electronics, we are at the same time more alone on an intimate level, so when despair sets in the support structures are not there. Some times you just need a hug.

Cell Phone Subscribers in the U.S., 1985-2010
Year Subscribers
1985 340,213
1986 681,825
1987 1,230,855
1988 2,069,441
1989 3,508,944
1990 5,283,055
1991 7,557,148
1992 11,032,753
1993 16,009,461
1994 24,134,421
1995 33,758,661
1996 44,042,992
1997 55,312,293
1998 69,209,321
1999 86,047,003
2000 109,478,031
2001 128,374,512
2002 140,766,842
2003 158,721,981
2004 182,140,362
2005 207,896,198
2006 233,000,000
2008 262,700,000
2009 276,610,580
2010 300,520,098

OT - Why is it that every time I go the the Dr and Dentist, I feel like I’m being “churned” as a profit center? Yeah, we have to do more blood work or I want to take some x-rays.

What? Why?...”well because we want to know if the prescription is working”. That’s the answer I got yesterday regarding a simple low dosage of blood pressure meds. I said “my bp is in the optimal range right? Then why?”

Just curious, does anyone know what % of GDP the US spends on Health and Pharma? What’s the trend? And what are our neighbors and allies?

Because that’s the way world works. Everyone is a profit center in most industries. Not just healthcare and big pharma. There only a few that go into healthcare because they truly care about relieving human suffering. It’s more Bout the prestige and pay.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
My amateur theory based on nothing but opinion. People don't connect on a personal level anymore. Texting on cell phones and posting on social media are "fake" socializing. Families are smaller, so people have less close relatives. While being more "connected" via electronics, we are at the same time more alone on an intimate level, so when despair sets in the support structures are not there. Some times you just need a hug.

Year Subscribers
1985 340,213
1986 681,825
1987 1,230,855
1988 2,069,441
1989 3,508,944
1990 5,283,055
1991 7,557,148
1992 11,032,753
1993 16,009,461
1994 24,134,421
1995 33,758,661
1996 44,042,992
1997 55,312,293
1998 69,209,321
1999 86,047,003
2000 109,478,031
2001 128,374,512
2002 140,766,842
2003 158,721,981
2004 182,140,362
2005 207,896,198
2006 233,000,000
2008 262,700,000
2009 276,610,580
2010 300,520,098

I think you're onto something with this. A larger part of our social world now is fake and superficial now. So much of peoples lives is to put on a performance in the "social" world of Facebook or Twitter or whatever. Making a real connection with a human you actually know is so much more important.

BTW, there are people trying to combat this a bit (see link below). They know that getting rid of tech is unrealistic and not necessarily desirable anyway so they're trying to figure out better ways for humans to use it.

http://humanetech.com/

I was listening to WNYC and they had a guest on to talk about the Anthony Bourdain. She happened to have been an old friend of his but also currently runs a suicide prevention hotline.
Anyway, she says she rarely says this, because she is asked to talk after suicides and she holds this information back.

But children under 15 who's parents commit suicide don't do very well after. I know it sounds obvious of course, but she means for the rest of their lives. You literally destroy your own child's life. Even if you think you are a terrible person or a terrible parent, your child still needs you to be there. Even if you were a cynical old curmudgeon who travels the world, divorced your child's mother, and rarely see them, they still need you.

She said a lot of times, just knowing how bad the outcome is for their children will cause people to take suicide off of the table.

Tragic!

He will be missed.

The conversation needs to be about more than suicide. We need to change our attitudes about mental illness and reaching out for help.

(My fav Bourdain episode)
Yeah, that episode was excellent. A few years back, I ate at Boulud's 3 Michelin star restaurant named "Daniel" here in NYC. It was exquisite. My wife and I were celebrating her 50th birthday.

Year Subscribers
1985 340,213
1986 681,825
1987 1,230,855
1988 2,069,441
1989 3,508,944
1990 5,283,055
1991 7,557,148
1992 11,032,753
1993 16,009,461
1994 24,134,421
1995 33,758,661
1996 44,042,992
1997 55,312,293
1998 69,209,321
1999 86,047,003
2000 109,478,031
2001 128,374,512
2002 140,766,842
2003 158,721,981
2004 182,140,362
2005 207,896,198
2006 233,000,000
2008 262,700,000
2009 276,610,580
2010 300,520,098

This is one of the reasons I live in New York City. When I was a child, I always wanted to live in a town with a main street and stores and people. That is dead in so many parts of the country. It is still there in NYC luckily. I see people and talk to people all of the time. I make plans to see friends and see different friends every weekend. The suburbs is dehumanizing, you live in your car and you don't interact with people, you don't even talk to your neighbors. It all seems so strange to me but I think it is part of it.

I just worked on a book called Abandoned America, and while, I don't exactly agree with the premise as a whole, it talks about how the decline of church is fueling the ruin of the heart land. Now, I am an agnostic, so I don't think it is religion itself but rather the community that it provides that matters. In NYC, we have fought tooth and nail to keep Walmart out so we can protect our small businesses. (the small businesses are getting stomped other ways right now, but I digress)

Anyway, this is so sad and so stupid.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. He values his opinion less because he is cook/chef.

Some people (myself included) don't like it when a celeb ventures outside their field to lecture us about politics. I've been thinking about why that is.

One conclusion I've come up with is that it feels like a bait & switch since they got famous for something other than politics. It's like going to the grocery store and while the clear is checking you out she's telling you who to vote for. Dude, your job is to check my groceries, just stick with that.

Another may be that some of them just do it in a way that is annoying a la the anti-Trump Meryl Streep speech at the Golden Globes that was famous for being so off-putting even to anti-Trump people

Re. Bourdain, obviously it's very sad he killed himself but to be honest his persona rubbed me the wrong way. He came off as so smug and superior.

Another thing that bugged me which wasn't Bourdain per se was that you'd go onto the CNN website and they'd have articles about him and you'd wonder why and then eventually you'd realize that "news" articles on their website were really just promos for his show.

Now that I've become aware of that I see it all the time on CNN, NBC News, CBS News, etc. You think a news site is giving you news when in reality they're giving you ads for TV shows on their network. Thus I now more often go to sites whose only purpose is to give news.

Reactions: ssn774

They will test to make sure you are taking the medicine. Happens all the time.

Some people (myself included) don't like it when a celeb ventures outside their field to lecture us about politics. I've been thinking about why that is.

One conclusion I've come up with is that it feels like a bait & switch since they got famous for something other than politics. It's like going to the grocery store and while the clear is checking you out she's telling you who to vote for. Dude, your job is to check my groceries, just stick with that.

Another may be that some of them just do it in a way that is annoying a la the anti-Trump Meryl Streep speech at the Golden Globes that was famous for being so off-putting even to anti-Trump people

Re. Bourdain, obviously it's very sad he killed himself but to be honest his persona rubbed me the wrong way. He came off as so smug and superior.

Another thing that bugged me which wasn't Bourdain per se was that you'd go onto the CNN website and they'd have articles about him and you'd wonder why and then eventually you'd realize that "news" articles on their website were really just promos for his show.

Now that I've become aware of that I see it all the time on CNN, NBC News, CBS News, etc. You think a news site is giving you news when in reality they're giving you ads for TV shows on their network. Thus I now more often go to sites whose only purpose is to give news.

It is an incredibly ironic post.

I'm going to get blasted for this but If someone has severe mental illness is suicide really such a bad outcome for them? It's seems like society says these people have to keep suffering until they ultimately die anyway just so those around them don't have to deal with their suicide.

Granted I don't think this holds up when there's children involved but otherwise I reject the idea that the severely mentally ill need to keep suffering for decades just to please some societal norm.

Reactions: ssn774
I'm going to get blasted for this but If someone has severe mental illness is suicide really such a bad outcome for them? It's seems like society says these people have to keep suffering until they ultimately die anyway just so those around them don't have to deal with their suicide.

Granted I don't think this holds up when there's children involved but otherwise I reject the idea that the severely mentally ill need to keep suffering for decades just to please some societal norm.

I think that's a good point. A lot of the time the "Don't commit suicide" comments really mean "Don't make me deal with the fact that you committed suicide." They don't actually care that the other person is miserable but they just want to make sure they don't have to feel any of it themselves.

I think you're onto something with this. A larger part of our social world now is fake and superficial now. So much of peoples lives is to put on a performance in the "social" world of Facebook or Twitter or whatever. Making a real connection with a human you actually know is so much more important.

BTW, there are people trying to combat this a bit (see link below). They know that getting rid of tech is unrealistic and not necessarily desirable anyway so they're trying to figure out better ways for humans to use it.

http://humanetech.com/

Beyond that, social media is really showing the divide between the have's and the have not's. Everything is in your face. All you see is people's vacation photos and achievements. Sometimes makes your life seem mundane or boring. Or why don't i have what they have. Committing suicide means the pressure is so immense and you hate your life so much to kill yourself. Why do these people hate their lives more at a higher rate that in previous history. For all intents and purposes, life now is much easier than generations ago with the modern convenience. Food is plentiful, access to medicine is greater than ever before, houses are bigger, cars are better, TV, internet, etc...but people are more unhappy now then ever before. I think it has a lot to do with not being able to come to grips with seeing all the time what other people have and how good their lives appear to be on the surface making people think there own lives are just not very good.

One conclusion I've come up with is that it feels like a bait & switch since they got famous for something other than politics.

Everyone has opinions -- Including actors and chefs. Many like to share their opinions. Some opinions are more valid than others. Feel free to disagree with -- or not even listen to -- the opinions of others, but if you're being offended (or "off put") by an opinion because you don't respect the person's career choice, that is more of a (negative) reflection on you than it is on them.

I don't have any reason to believe that Leonardo Dicaprio is any more knowledgeable on climate change than am I. After all, I have a formal education (Bachelors of Science) in engineering/science, and he's "just an actor." But like anyone else who's at least moderately aware of current events, he's formed opinions on climate change. The difference between him and many others though is, because of his career, he often times has a stage (or one might say soap box) to communicate his opinions.

So he takes the opportunity his career has allowed him, and tells us what he thinks. Big deal. Some times I agree, sometimes I don't, but I'm not "off put" because they get to communicate their opinions in places/ways so that more people hear them. They have no responsibility or obligation to keep their opinions to themselves.

It's like going to the grocery store and while the clear is checking you out she's telling you who to vote for. Dude, your job is to check my groceries, just stick with that.

No, it's not like that at all. First, unlike the clerk, the line between an actor's "job" and personal time/life is very blurry. Secondly, the clerk is clearly working on behalf of a business, and they have an obligation to conduct themselves in a certain manner that's been (supposedly) established and agreed upon between the business and the worker. When an actor is at the podium at the golden globes or whatever, are they "at work?" And if so, on who's behalf are they working? To whom are the obligated to conduct themselves in a certain manner?

I would contend that the podium at the golden globes is their personal time/life, and they have no obligation to anyone at that time. And if Leonardo Dicaprio is communicating (or even "preaching") his opinions on climate change, and how he thinks we should change X, Y, and Z because of those opinions -- If I'm choosing to watch/listen and give him the power to offend me (or make me "off put"), then that's my problem. Not his.

JMO

This is one of the reasons I live in New York City. When I was a child, I always wanted to live in a town with a main street and stores and people. That is dead in so many parts of the country. It is still there in NYC luckily. I see people and talk to people all of the time. I make plans to see friends and see different friends every weekend. The suburbs is dehumanizing, you live in your car and you don't interact with people, you don't even talk to your neighbors. It all seems so strange to me but I think it is part of it.

I just worked on a book called Abandoned America, and while, I don't exactly agree with the premise as a whole, it talks about how the decline of church is fueling the ruin of the heart land. Now, I am an agnostic, so I don't think it is religion itself but rather the community that it provides that matters. In NYC, we have fought tooth and nail to keep Walmart out so we can protect our small businesses. (the small businesses are getting stomped other ways right now, but I digress)

Anyway, this is so sad and so stupid.

How can I get a copy of the book please GreggK ??

Thank you in advance sir.

Everyone has opinions -- Including actors and chefs. Many like to share their opinions. Some opinions are more valid than others. Feel free to disagree with -- or not even listen to -- the opinions of others, but if you're being offended (or "off put") by an opinion because you don't respect the person's career choice, that is more of a (negative) reflection on you than it is on them.

I don't have any reason to believe that Leonardo Dicaprio is any more knowledgeable on climate change than am I. After all, I have a formal education (Bachelors of Science) in engineering/science, and he's "just an actor." But like anyone else who's at least moderately aware of current events, he's formed opinions on climate change. The difference between him and many others though is, because of his career, he often times has a stage (or one might say soap box) to communicate his opinions.

So he takes the opportunity his career has allowed him, and tells us what he thinks. Big deal. Some times I agree, sometimes I don't, but I'm not "off put" because they get to communicate their opinions in places/ways so that more people hear them. They have no responsibility or obligation to keep their opinions to themselves.

No, it's not like that at all. First, unlike the clerk, the line between an actor's "job" and personal time/life is very blurry. Secondly, the clerk is clearly working on behalf of a business, and they have an obligation to conduct themselves in a certain manner that's been (supposedly) established and agreed upon between the business and the worker. When an actor is at the podium at the golden globes or whatever, are they "at work?" And if so, on who's behalf are they working? To whom are the obligated to conduct themselves in a certain manner?

I would contend that the podium at the golden globes is their personal time/life, and they have no obligation to anyone at that time. And if Leonardo Dicaprio is communicating (or even "preaching") his opinions on climate change, and how he thinks we should change X, Y, and Z because of those opinions -- If I'm choosing to watch/listen and give him the power to offend me (or make me "off put"), then that's my problem. Not his.

JMO

To be clear, I'm making a separate distinction between (1) someone using their position as a celeb to make political statements and (2) the manner in which they make the statement. Given that you are going to make a statement about something you can make it in an off-putting or non-off-putting way. I was saying that the manner in which a lot of celebs give their opinions is off-putting. That's separate than the fact that they're giving their opinion in the first place.

Here is Meryl Streep's Golden Globe speech. See what you think of it. It sounds like Frasier Crane except Frasier Crane was a fictional character created for comedy.

Obli's right, his ego out-kicked his coverage. I think he fancied himself as the "Ernest Hemingway of Culinary Journalism". Common traits:

1. Author
2. Giant egos
3. Inner demons
4. Suicide two and a half weeks prior to their 62nd birthday.

Coincidence? I think not.

Year Subscribers
1985 340,213
1986 681,825
1987 1,230,855
1988 2,069,441
1989 3,508,944
1990 5,283,055
1991 7,557,148
1992 11,032,753
1993 16,009,461
1994 24,134,421
1995 33,758,661
1996 44,042,992
1997 55,312,293
1998 69,209,321
1999 86,047,003
2000 109,478,031
2001 128,374,512
2002 140,766,842
2003 158,721,981
2004 182,140,362
2005 207,896,198
2006 233,000,000
2008 262,700,000
2009 276,610,580
2010 300,520,098
I, for one, stepped WAY back from Facebook a few years ago because it was so corrosive seeing the “best” of people’s lives day in and day out. You can let that eat at you. I’m in the trenches as a single dad with 2 special needs children. Life is a grind to be honest. I don’t need the superficial, external noise.

Damn, I really loved all of Anthony's shows. He brought a light to so many cultures/experiences I would never have seen otherwise. At times I loved his personality, and other times I hated it. But I was always interested.
This is how I feel. I was looking forward to his Philadelphia show for “No Reservations” I believe and it was pretty crappy. He let his NYC smugness and dismissiveness overwhelm everything else. He was denigrating hipsters which is usually funny, but half the episode involved him being chummy with over-tatted, bearded hipsters with ironic T-shirts - the general antithesis of normal Philadelphians

I thought AB did a good job of keeping his politics out of his shows. At the very least he gave the other side a platform to speak.

Great episode with he and Ted Nugent shooting assault rifles together.

I, for one, stepped WAY back from Facebook a few years ago because it was so corrosive seeing the “best” of people’s lives day in and day out. You can let that eat at you. I’m in the trenches as a single dad with 2 special needs children. Life is a grind to be honest. I don’t need the superficial, external noise.

Yeah, I removed it from my phone and don't miss it. I check every now and then at home on my computer or on my iPad. I do use Messenger to stay in touch with relatives (and Instagram as my 'preferred' social media platform). The careful curating of one's lives, constant uninformed political posturing and preaching by 'friends and relatives', serious data privacy concerns, and the sheer number of completely misleading or intentionally fake news stories makes me feel pretty good about my decision. Facebook is likely the worst thing to happen to the world since AIDS.

Having said that, being married with kids means my family is my best friend, and with our work schedule and lifestyle and especially commute we don't really have the luxury of friends outside of a very few close ones (and even then trying to get together with them is like trying to schedule five minutes with the Queen of England).

I thought AB did a good job of keeping his politics out of his shows. At the very least he gave the other side a platform to speak.

Great episode with he and Ted Nugent shooting assault rifles together.

To be clear, I didn't actually watch AB's show so my comments about celebs & politics were more general and come from other celebs I've found annoying. I have no idea how much or how little AB injected politics into his show.

How can I get a copy of the book please GreggK ??

Thank you in advance sir.

unfortunately it isn't out till 2019
It does have an amazon page right now though

For some reason the amazon link won't work but it is:

Abandoned America
Why some places collapse while others thrive
Peter Carney

The publisher is Harper Collins and the editor is in fact Adam Bellow (Saul Bellow's son)

When I worked at Harper, Anthony Bourdain worked very closely with us. We put out his books and we went on to give him his own imprint. I never got a chance to meet him but everyone who did say he was extremely nice and generous.

RIP sir.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Obli's right, his ego out-kicked his coverage. I think he fancied himself as the "Ernest Hemingway of Culinary Journalism". Common traits:

1. Author
2. Giant egos
3. Inner demons
4. Suicide two and a half weeks prior to their 62nd birthday.

Coincidence? I think not.

What does ego have to do with anything here? I am really confused by this line of thinking.
An author with demons, I get it, so many of them have that. It is what makes them great at seeing the world in a different way.

To be clear, I didn't actually watch AB's show so my comments about celebs & politics were more general and come from other celebs I've found annoying. I have no idea how much or how little AB injected politics into his show.
His politics on the show weren't so apparent. He, like many globe hoppers, had more severance for those outside the USA than those inside. By that I mean that he cared more about global issues than US issues. Regardless all that, he had a great way about describing the feel of a place which is what I love about international travel.

Reactions: aferrelli
My magazine issued a statement this am... again so very sad.

Of course their will be many rumors flying around for sometime as there currently is with Kate Spade.

Terrible loss for his family and fans...

His politics on the show weren't so apparent. He, like many globe hoppers, had more severance for those outside the USA than those inside. By that I mean that he cared more about global issues than US issues. Regardless all that, he had a great way about describing the feel of a place which is what I love about international travel.

I do think that one part of the divide in our country is that a significant segment of people have an ethos that we should bend over backwards to understand and appreciate "different" peoples but they only apply the ethos to people outside the US. So they constantly preach we need to understand people in other countries when they themselves don't bother to understand lots of people in the US and not only that but they outright look down on them.

If you apply your "we need to understand different people" ethos only to some people then your ethos isn't actually "we need to understand different people."

ETA: To be clear, those comments aren't meant to apply to AB, whose show I didn't watch and thus can't judge. I've seen it in lots of others though.

ADVERTISEMENT