ADVERTISEMENT

another special teams screw up?

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
I just thought about this....last week after Michigan scored to go up by a hundred they kicked off. The ball went out of bounds, flag was thrown, and PSU got the ball on the 35. But the ref said we declined and their was a rekick...Hamler was tackled on about the 21. Did this really happen or was the ref wrong. Please dont tell me we declined a gift penalty....was gonna post this earlier but forgot...thanks

I just thought about this....last week after Michigan scored to go up by a hundred they kicked off. The ball went out of bounds, flag was thrown, and PSU got the ball on the 35. But the ref said we declined and their was a rekick...Hamler was tackled on about the 21. Did this really happen or was the ref wrong. Please dont tell me we declined a gift penalty....was gonna post this earlier but forgot...thanks

He did intentionally decline it and I didn't totally disagree with it either. He said in the post game he was hopeful that KJ could return a big one and provide a spark. The offense had shown no signs of being able to move the ball. It didn't work and looked foolish after the fact, but it was probably 10th on his list of game day fubars.

Reactions: BBrown
Was already discussed multiple times. Franklin was trying to get a spark by giving Hamler a chance for a return

He did the same thing earlier this year and KJ brought it back to the 50 yard line.

Did not know it has been discussed...havent been around for a few days and did not feel like surfing this site to find out.

He did intentionally decline it and I didn't totally disagree with it either. He said in the post game he was hopeful that KJ could return a big one and provide a spark. The offense had shown no signs of being able to move the ball. It didn't work and looked foolish after the fact, but it was probably 10th on his list of game day fubars.

A spark????? We were down at least 35 I think. I think "The spark" was needed a bit earlier!!!! I also recall our offense starting around the 15 all day...starting at the 35 doesnt sound like a bad deal....ugh

Giving Hamler an opportunity in space is always a good call. But he didn't have a great return this time so FRANKLIN IS A MORON!!!

Take the ball on the 35...you are already being given a gift. Get Hamler the ball in space by using him in a jet sweep, which we have done maybe 3 times....how about bringing him in motion once in a while...how about using him in a screen situation.

Take the ball on the 35...you are already being given a gift. Get Hamler the ball in space by using him in a jet sweep, which we have done maybe 3 times....how about bringing him in motion once in a while...how about using him in a screen situation.

They had 186 yards of total offense the entire game. I'm sure that accepting a 10 yd penalty and running sideways against that defense would have made the difference.

I agreed with the call. Better to get the ball In Hamler’s hands then giving it to the offense.

Well, if you're down by 35 and it's 4th quarter...and your offense hasn't done jack all day...I guess miracles can happen but let's assume that 12 minutes remained...you need 5 scores so that's an average of 2.4 minutes per score (including the time that the opposing offense has with the ball - can your already abused defense put up 5 three and outs in a row?). Possible? Sure, if the offense is working...
The other thing you have to consider is that Hamler gets hurt on the return in what is a very low-percentage and probably futile effort. I won't discuss the possibility of Hamler fumbling or a muffed catch because, well, you're down 35 anyway, what's another gift to the opposing team, right?
I'm not sure what's the correct call in that situation (arguments can be made both ways, as always) but to me the negatives of a return vs. having good field position definitely outweight the positives at that point in the game. IDK, what had PSU done return-wise previously in the game?

They had 186 yards of total offense the entire game. I'm sure that accepting a 10 yd penalty and running sideways against that defense would have made the difference.
I would have taken the ball on the 35. But I am sure you are right. Thanks so much for helping me out, I wasn't aware that I was dealing with an expert.

I would hardly call that a game day fubar. It was a calculated risk that didn’t work out, but it was a good call before we knew the results. Everyone wants the ball in Hamler’s hands more, then when we do it and it doesn’t work, it’s a bad coaching decision. Arm chair quarterbacking at its finest.

I would hardly call that a game day fubar. It was a calculated risk that didn’t work out, but it was a good call before we knew the results. Everyone wants the ball in Hamler’s hands more, then when we do it and it doesn’t work, it’s a bad coaching decision. Arm chair quarterbacking at its finest.
I would take the ball at the 35...is that a bad coaching decision?

I would have taken the ball on the 35. But I am sure you are right. Thanks so much for helping me out, I wasn't aware that I was dealing with an expert.
Because he disagrees with you is no reason to make it personal. Lighten up.

I would take the ball at the 35...is that a bad coaching decision?
When the offense is doing less than nothing, then yes. We could have gotten the ball on Michigan’s 35 yard line and still not scored, so why not try something different?

I think Michigan was kicking into a strong wind. For that reason at the time I had no problem with the decision.

In this game we seemed out manned on special teams. In that circumstance one should take the "gift," but that is hindsight.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
When the offense is doing less than nothing, then yes. We could have gotten the ball on Michigan’s 35 yard line and still not scored, so why not try something different?

Well..since we started deep in our own territory all game, getting it at the 35 was doing something different! And after the bull shit block in the back call on Luketa on a previous special teams play I woulda been happy at the 35. Just my opinion...I am not saying Franklins call was wrong...I just would not have done it. Buy I understand why CJF declined the penalty.

I think Michigan was kicking into a strong wind. For that reason at the time I had no problem with the decision.

In this game we seemed out manned on special teams. In that circumstance one should take the "gift," but that is hindsight.

We "seemed" out manned on more than just special teams my friend...

Players that execute make coaches look like geniuses. Players that don't execute make coaches look like fools. It's not about the coaches.............

Reactions: WDLion
No.
And neither was opting for the re-kick.

That one is pretty much just a “flip of the coin” call (like a lot - but certainly not all - of game day decisions) depending on what the HFC thinks might fit his teams particular needs and abilities at that moment.
Unfortunately the real coaches don’t know the outcome of the decision beforehand, unlike the armchair experts

Players that execute make coaches look like geniuses. Players that don't execute make coaches look like fools. It's not about the coaches.............
But coaches go from smart to dumb by the week, by the day, by the series, and by the play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT