ADVERTISEMENT

Another PR blunder by psu

Sproul

Sep 20, 2015
Penn state student on film (with kid dad laughing) driving through the protests yesterday shouting “n-words, the klan is coming.” Penn State puts 2 little tweets out saying they don’t tolerate racism. How hard is it for them to kick out one kid and be done with this? Instead they are letting the furor fester and it’s getting out of control. It’s amazing that penn state doesn’t the wrong thing every single time.

The video is in the comments of Penn states twitter.

Edit: and his mother said on Twitter that he apologized to her and that was enough, before she backtracked and blamed it on her husband, who works at Key Bank

Ok...let’s wait until It makes national news tonight before we put out the fire. Is that preferred?
Instead, they should rush to judgment and expel him before they can gather any facts (other than some on Twitter declaring that it’s him)?

Reactions: Hugh Manatee
Ok...let’s wait until It makes national news tonight before we put out the fire. Is that preferred?
The video was posted last night. It's approaching 1pm Eastern the next day. What else do you expect? If PSU brings back the statue, will you feel better?

Reactions: bison13
This isn't PSU's problem until someone makes it their problem, which has apparently already happened. PSU didn't utter the offensive phrase, but they are well-within their right to expel the student for conduct unbecoming of PSU's values.

I won't be surprised if Key Bank is pressured / strongly encouraged to discipline the father for the same reason.

After reading Key Bank's Code of Conduct policy, the father will likely be severely reprimanded or possibly even terminated. Employees sign these agreements (with annual renewals/acknowledgment forms) and then forget they did so.

1. Remember, conduct that is unprofessional
    or harms Key’s reputation is not tolerated and could result in disciplinary action, including termination of your employment.
http://investor.key.com/Cache/IRCache/0ce977aa-9c36-ee9d-0758-cbc078dc3240.PDF?O=PDF&T=&Y=&D=&FID=0ce977aa-9c36-ee9d-0758-cbc078dc3240&iid=100334

Last edited:
Expel him immediately. It’s not hard. There’s 15,000 non-racists that would love to come to psu
Should they do any type of investigation to confirm that it’s him? Or just take Twitter’s word on it?

I would hope they dot the i’s and cross the T’s before expelling him, to make sure they got it right.

This isn't PSU's problem until someone makes it their problem, which has apparently already happened. PSU didn't utter the offensive phrase, but they are well-within their right to expel the student for conduct unbecoming of PSU's values.

I won't be surprised if Key Bank is pressured / strongly encouraged to fire the father for the same reason.

After reading Key Bank's Code of Conduct policy, the father will likely either be severely reprimanded or terminated. Employees sign these agreements (with annual renewals/acknowledgment forms) and then forget they did so.

http://investor.key.com/Cache/IRCache/0ce977aa-9c36-ee9d-0758-cbc078dc3240.PDF?O=PDF&T=&Y=&D=&FID=0ce977aa-9c36-ee9d-0758-cbc078dc3240&iid=100334
They may or may not be within their rights....probably should do research to make sure. That’s why acting too quickly is not prudent.

They may or may not be within their rights....probably should do research to make sure. That’s why acting too quickly is not prudent.

quarter million views on the video on a high school kid’s tweet in the past 6 hours

Barron just put out a statement on the protests, etc...why is PSU even saying anything. Why do they have to comment at all on this as it has nothing to do with educating at PSU. Just remain silent and focus on maximizing students education. let the commentary to the media.

So is criticizing everything the university does, as in the circumstance the OP is bitching about.

What in the world does one have to do with the other? I agree with you about people reflexively blaming Penn State all the time. AND I think your whole Joebot act is beyond worn out. Why do you believe these 2 positions are mutually exclusive?

When you go on social media sites it’s trending with Penn State hashtags. The first thing you see when you search for Penn State. It’s not PSU’s fault, but you need to get ahead of this since every post of the video mentions Penn State and that he’s a student.

Barron just put out a statement on the protests, etc...why is PSU even saying anything. Why do they have to comment at all on this as it has nothing to do with educating at PSU. Just remain silent and focus on maximizing students education. let the commentary to the media.
yeah...agreed...these people are idiots....as soon as you comment, you own it. Nothing need be said by PSU because it was such a damned stupid thing to do. If cornered you state that he is simply a student and he was not acting in any capacity that had anything to do with the university. So now if someone calls someone any phrase or term that can be even remotely labeled it PSU has to address it. I mean, even giving someone the ok sign is not ok anymore.

What in the world does one have to do with the other? I agree with you about people reflexively blaming Penn State all the time. AND I think your whole Joebot act is beyond worn out. Why do you believe these 2 positions are mutually exclusive?

If you think the Joebot act is worn out, then put me on ignore. I think people blaming PSU at every possible circumstance is even more tiring, and many of those who post garbage like the OP happen to be textbook Joebots.

If you think the Joebot act is worn out, then put me on ignore. I think people blaming PSU at every possible circumstance is even more tiring, and many of those who post garbage like the OP happen to be textbook Joebots.

Ok.

yeah...agreed...these people are idiots....as soon as you comment, you own it. Nothing need be said by PSU because it was such a damned stupid thing to do. If cornered you state that he is simply a student and he was not acting in any capacity that had anything to do with the university. So now if someone calls someone any phrase or term that can be even remotely labeled it PSU has to address it. I mean, even giving someone the ok sign is not ok anymore.

exactly. it is gone in a day as the 24 hour news cycles goes onto the next story. obviously anybody knows with half a brain this is not PSU sanctioned but just some idiot.

When you go on social media sites it’s trending with Penn State hashtags. The first thing you see when you search for Penn State. It’s not PSU’s fault, but you need to get ahead of this since every post of the video mentions Penn State and that he’s a student.
So don’t do any investigation or due diligence, just act to stay in front of public opinion? Hmm, that sounds familiar. PSU screwed it up in 2011, so they should do it again....check.

So don’t do any investigation or due diligence, just act to stay in front of public opinion? Hmm, that sounds familiar. PSU screwed it up in 2011, so they should do it again....check.

I never said that - just said a response from PSU makes sense. Twitter had this kid’s name, major, and PSU email account on display in about five minutes. How long would you wait? I’m not saying they should do more without an investigation, but a comment denouncing the act is easy and worth it.

Reactions: dwiz
I never said that - just said a response from PSU makes sense. Twitter had this kid’s name, major, and PSU email account on display in about five minutes. How long would you wait? I’m not saying they should do more without an investigation, but a comment denouncing the act is easy and worth it.

Do you think a comment denouncing the act will be even close to enough to satisfy people? It may end up being worse than doing nothing.

Do you think a comment denouncing the act will be even close to enough to satisfy people? It may end up being worse than doing nothing.

Probably not, but disagree it's worse than doing nothing.

USC just did the same thing...
EZcUAooUwAQuVd8

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT