ADVERTISEMENT

Ancestry

What isn't? I'm not enamored with business practices these days.
Have been interested in my Father's family, he's been gone many years, he had a sister, she too has been gone many years. Story is his own father died when my Dad was very young. No other family, have wondered for a long time. Found a few old names, not family but they were neighbors. Real question, is the Ancestry site a rip=off?

Have been interested in my Father's family, he's been gone many years, he had a sister, she too has been gone many years. Story is his own father died when my Dad was very young. No other family, have wondered for a long time. Found a few old names, not family but they were neighbors. Real question, is the Ancestry site a rip=off?
I cannot say but best to you in finding more info

I cannot say but best to you in finding more info
What further peaked my interest, father was born 1914, aunt, his sister 1917. Word always was the father, my grandfather died, my father went to Girard College for those of you who know what that is. Recently I found someone with the same name as my grandfather born in Philadelphia 1890, died 1973, no further information, that's why I was thinking of something like Ancestry. I just don't want to get into some endless trivia drop and continuing expense. So, has anyone had success with Ancestry.

I have used Ancestry for the DNA profile. It’s fascinating and well worth the money. It shows my ethnicity breakdown fairly close to what I expected it to be (Italian, German, Irish, Scottish with tiny percentages from other areas of Europe.) It shows what ethnicity is inherited from what parent. It shows my siblings (who submitted samples as well) as my siblings and my daughter as my daughter. It actually found an unknown uncle. My grandfather had a lot of illegitimate fun in Philly and fathered a child with an unknown woman, who then put him up for adoption! Many delving into this are finding similar skeletons in their families. On the DNA side of ancestry it’s a once and done with no additional fees. It actually updates your breakdown over time as it gets more data from all the samples coming in from around the world.

Reactions: We Are . . .
I have used Ancestry for the DNA profile. It’s fascinating and well worth the money. It shows my ethnicity breakdown fairly close to what I expected it to be (Italian, German, Irish, Scottish with tiny percentages from other areas of Europe.) It shows what ethnicity is inherited from what parent. It shows my siblings (who submitted samples as well) as my siblings and my daughter as my daughter. It actually found an unknown uncle. My grandfather had a lot of illegitimate fun in Philly and fathered a child with an unknown woman, who then put him up for adoption! Many delving into this are finding similar skeletons in their families. On the DNA side of ancestry it’s a once and done with no additional fees. It actually updates your breakdown over time as it gets more data from all the samples coming in from around the world.
Thank you, not interested in submitting DNA, think that is how they caught the college killer, 4 students in Idaho, I think. Through family DNA. I just hope to find family contacts.

My daughter gave me the Ancestry DNA test five years ago. LMT points out some interesting features, many of them recent improvements such as my parent's I'll point out a couple of things users should be aware of. They update ethnicity estimates periodically as they add to their database. I've had fun tracking the changes.

One thing to beware of is using family trees that people load onto Ancestry. I found several that listed my dad correctly but had his father - my grandfather - misidentified as a guy with the same first and last name but the wrong middle name. They had a photo of this other person who resembled but was not my grandfather. The problem is that others simply merge family trees into their own so there are several trees on Ancestry with just that one bit of bad information.

What further peaked my interest, father was born 1914, aunt, his sister 1917. Word always was the father, my grandfather died, my father went to Girard College for those of you who know what that is. Recently I found someone with the same name as my grandfather born in Philadelphia 1890, died 1973, no further information, that's why I was thinking of something like Ancestry. I just don't want to get into some endless trivia drop and continuing expense. So, has anyone had success with Ancestry.
My grandfather went to Girard College. My grandfather attended Girard College around 1908 to about 1915. I wrote to Girard College for any information that they could provide me with about my grandfather. Girard College had family information as well as information about my grandfather at Girard College. It was quite interesting to read about him. Not sure if Girard College would have information on your family but it might be worth looking into.

I’ve had an Ancestry subscription for as long as I can recall. It’s only gotten better over the years. More records have been added but the real value are their big data capabilities. They are very good at predicting which records you should review. As others stated, some lazy researcher rely on that too much and end up with invalid information so you can’t blindly trust the recommendations or other trees.

If you’re not interested in signing up for a subscription, I can offer up my services for free to help you out. I also subscribe to other related services. Just let me know if you want my help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT