ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing Aliquippa football team. Update: Wins 4A state title so now forced to play 5A! Breaking: wins appeal, will stay in 4A

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
So the ‘quips used to be a large school and was always a major power. But the steel mills closed and hard times hit the town. Now the school is so small it should be in the A classification, the smallest in the state. But the state has a rule that if a team wins consecutive championships it must move up in classification. The rule was adopted as a way to keep Catholic and private schools from dominating the playoffs. But Aliquippa has been so consistently good that this year they were forced to play AAAA, despite objections it wasn’t safe for its players.

So how did they do? A school graduating 39 kids playing schools graduating 280 or more? Well....they won the WPIAL district championship by defeating heavy favorite Belle Vernon 28-13! Simply amazing!

Warfield joked Saturday that Belle Vernon has more cheerleaders than Aliquippa’s high school has seniors.

“It’s incredible and shameful at the same time,” Warfield said. “It’s incredible that a school that graduates 39 kids is playing against teams that are graduating 280 kids — seven or eight times as many. That’s incredible that we can compete.

“But it’s shameful to me for the people that are making those decisions to have us playing up so high. … There’s no team in the country that’s being forced to play up three classifications.”

With respect to this--- The Quips are playing in 4A against their wishes because of a PIAA competitive-balance rule that forced them up one classification. The team wanted to remain in Class 3A, and Warfield has insisted for months it’s unsafe for a school Aliquippa’s size to face 4A teams.
Is Southern Columbia playing up one class ?

Reactions: creamery freak
I wonder why they don't do this for field hockey? Sem has won 4 in a row as a small private school.

Reactions: step.eng69
With respect to this--- The Quips are playing in 4A against their wishes because of a PIAA competitive-balance rule that forced them up one classification. The team wanted to remain in Class 3A, and Warfield has insisted for months it’s unsafe for a school Aliquippa’s size to face 4A teams.
I think what happened was their enrollment dropped to 2A several years ago but they wanted to stay in 3A so that they could still play their long time rivals like Beaver Falls, Ambridge, New Castle, and more. Now their enrollment is down to single A level but since they kept winning the 3A championships they are now forced to play quad A.

Another aspect is the state reorganized and added 6A so the enrollment cutoffs for each classification changed. But the ‘quips are still a single A school and won a 4A championship!

Personally I would love for them to play 1A ball next year and destroy all those privates who play at 1A, OLSH, Canevin, Bishop Guilfoyle, etc. I guess its more wanting to call out those private coaches who claim they dont recruit but really do, and even lie about not doing it to the press when there is evidence of them offering.

Personally I would love for them to play 1A ball next year and destroy all those privates who play at 1A, OLSH, Canevin, Bishop Guilfoyle, etc. I guess its more wanting to call out those private coaches who claim they dont recruit but really do, and even lie about not doing it to the press when there is evidence of them offering.
Amen

Reactions: bison13
The formula that forces schools to move up classifications isn't only about winning championships, but number of transfers as well. I don't know specific facts regarding recruiting for Aliquippa, but they have long had a reputation of bringing kids in from other districts. City league kids escape the weak football, limited facilities and bad coaching by transferring to schools like Aliquippa. I have no respect for Warfields whining. Has anyone seen the size of the Quip linemen? There are several that are well over 300#. How can a school graduating 40 or so kids a year produce the kind of talent and roster numbers that they do? Warfield doesn't have scholarships to offer like the privates, but that doesn't mean they aren't bringing in kids to play ball.

So the ‘quips used to be a large school and was always a major power. But the steel mills closed and hard times hit the town. Now the school is so small it should be in the A classification, the smallest in the state. But the state has a rule that if a team wins consecutive championships it must move up in classification. The rule was adopted as a way to keep Catholic and private schools from dominating the playoffs. But Aliquippa has been so consistently good that this year they were forced to play AAAA, despite objections it wasn’t safe for its players.

So how did they do? A school graduating 39 kids playing schools graduating 280 or more? Well....they won the WPIAL district championship by defeating heavy favorite Belle Vernon 28-13! Simply amazing!

Warfield joked Saturday that Belle Vernon has more cheerleaders than Aliquippa’s high school has seniors.

“It’s incredible and shameful at the same time,” Warfield said. “It’s incredible that a school that graduates 39 kids is playing against teams that are graduating 280 kids — seven or eight times as many. That’s incredible that we can compete.

“But it’s shameful to me for the people that are making those decisions to have us playing up so high. … There’s no team in the country that’s being forced to play up three classifications.”

WPIAL coach told me they got 6 transfer kids in this year that are good football players and it’s a yearly occurrence. My ? Is who wants to transfer to Alliquippa ?

WPIAL coach told me they got 6 transfer kids in this year that are good football players and it’s a yearly occurrence. My ? Is who wants to transfer to Alliquippa ?
Players who want to play good competition, win championships and be exposed to college recruiters. Yeah, Warfields whining is dishonest. He doesn't mention those transfers.

Players who want to play good competition, win championships and be exposed to college recruiters. Yeah, Warfields whining is dishonest. He doesn't mention those transfers.
I agree with that, but he is still fielding a small team numbers wise compared to top 3A, 4A, and 5A schools. MaxPreps has them with 46 kids, which is a lot of a 1A school. Picking top WPIAL teams roster size: 5A Moon Area has 87, 4A Belle Vernon has 68 and 3A Central Valley has 70. They probably shouldn't be playing 1A ball, but I also don't think they should be at 4A or 5A.

Reactions: step.eng69
NO they are not

Winning cures all. If you have a dominant school with 3-4 nearby, kids want to go play for the dominant school. Particularly talented kids or marginal kids with parents who think Jr or Bub is gonna be a D1 star.

Do they redshirt the kids in 8th grade? Another advantage when you got essential grown men out there with full beards busting heads with kids 2-3 years younger.

I still remember the time I was at the Babadook Diner in Port Charlesburgh near Bishop OShammin and they expected me to belieb Charles Barkeley IV was there but the slick orange jeep rover in the parking lot wasnt a Sweet Pulp OJ deal.

That’s what I thought . If this is the supposed PIAA techs why not ? Is it a WPIAL reg instead ? Buehler ? Anyone ?
There is transfer component as well. If you bring in transfer players AND win championships then you must move up. Don’t know the exact numbers

Reactions: The Spin Meister
That’s what I thought . If this is the supposed PIAA techs why not ? Is it a WPIAL reg instead ? Buehler ? Anyone ?
They tried to move them up two years ago and they somehow whined their way out of it

Last edited:
Reactions: katchthis
this is all BUNCH OF CRAP IF YOUR GOOD THAY MOVE YOU UP SCHOOL SIZE SHOULD BE ALL THAT MATTERS!!
When schools bring in a bunch of top-notch transfers, that is hardly fair to the schools on their schedule that play by the rules. The Quips have a much bigger roster, much more size and talent than schools with similar enrollment.

So the ‘quips won the state 4A championship by beating Bishop McDivitt 34-27! And what is most amazing thye have been led by a freshman running back Tiqua Hayes that had 23 TDs and 1746 yards. And a sophomore QB. And another sophomore running back.

Sounds like a great game. Down 13 before running a play stormed back to take the lead 14-13 by end of first quarter. Hard fought to the end.

So the ‘quips won the state 4A championship by beating Bishop McDivitt 34-27! And what is most amazing thye have been led by a freshman running back Tiqua Hayes that had 23 TDs and 1746 yards. And a sophomore QB. And another sophomore running back.

Sounds like a great game. Down 13 before running a play stormed back to take the lead 14-13 by end of first quarter. Hard fought to the end.

Was a really good game. Aliquippa's coach made all the right calls. He's top notch. McDevitt played a pretty good game, but they made more mistakes and Aliquippa made them pay for it. Watching from the stands, I wondered why McDevitt didn't start run-blitzing as early as the 2nd Q. The Quips were ramming it down their throats. They started to do it late in the 3rd Q and finally forced that RB to the outside, where he wasn't gaining as much yardage. Too little too late. Big pass and catch for the Quips to set up their go-ahead TD. Great play by that receiver with two guys on him. Walking out of the stadium I get a text from a friend watching the game on TV and tells me that Quips RB is only 14 years old...he was hitting that hole like a MAN. Completely unafraid of contact. The kid from McDevitt who kept tackling him (Russo) is walking on at Rutgers, so he's no slouch. I know some of his family and they are pretty big folks, so I imagine the kid is pretty tough. That RB was just amazing.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Was a really good game. Aliquippa's coach made all the right calls. He's top notch. McDevitt played a pretty good game, but they made more mistakes and Aliquippa made them pay for it. Watching from the stands, I wondered why McDevitt didn't start run-blitzing as early as the 2nd Q. The Quips were ramming it down their throats. They started to do it late in the 3rd Q and finally forced that RB to the outside, where he wasn't gaining as much yardage. Too little too late. Big pass and catch for the Quips to set up their go-ahead TD. Great play by that receiver with two guys on him. Walking out of the stadium I get a text from a friend watching the game on TV and tells me that Quips RB is only 14 years old...he was hitting that hole like a MAN. Completely unafraid of contact. The kid from McDevitt who kept tackling him (Russo) is walking on at Rutgers, so he's no slouch. I know some of his family and they are pretty big folks, so I imagine the kid is pretty tough. That RB was just amazing.
Tiqwai Hayes is the freshman you mentioned. He had 1700 yards rushing this year, 23 touchdowns, 5’11” and 188 pounds. Pitt offered him yesterday.

I heard Ampipe gave them a hell of a game. That Stef Djordjevic kid is a hell of a DB.
It was the 62 STACK MONSTER!!! I am sending the play to DEX now. It could be our only hope against Walnut Heights, I mean Arkansas!

Well, it’s now official. The reward for a Class A team winning the 4A state champions is now,they must play a 5A schedule next year. School, appealed once and lost but now filed second appeal.

Doesn’t seem right......
There are tons of public school transfers here in Maryland every year. Any of them where the kids are athletes are vetted through the athletic department and in most of them it's just a kid's family moving from one apartment complex to another. so it's pretty tough to indicate if the transfer was for athletics but we all know it happens. So what they're doing in Pennsylvania is a terrible rule especially since they allow private schools to play Public Schools. As I mentioned in the prior post the private schools claim they don't recruit but I've had one of them try to recruit one of my own players after a game where they beat us back when I coached in the wpial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT