ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing Aliquippa football team. Update: Wins 4A state title so now forced to play 5A! Breaking: wins appeal, will stay in 4A

The Quips are getting dinged for their transfers, of which they have many. Southern Columbia doesn’t qualify as it’s a combo of winning and transfers that forces the move.

I heard Ampipe gave them a hell of a game. That Stef Djordjevic kid is a hell of a DB.
With the way he covers receivers, almost always committing interference then complaining about the call, he belongs in the B1G where the coaches (particularly U of M) coaches it and the refs will allow it.

Reactions: aworsnup
Southern Columbia is still AA. Have won 4 straight.
According to the formula, they didn't have the transfers to merit moving up. I'm surprised they don't voluntarily move up 1 class to make their season more competitive.

The Quips are getting dinged for their transfers, of which they have many. Southern Columbia doesn’t qualify as it’s a combo of winning and transfers that forces the move.
What is meant by transfers? Are those students transferring into the district? Otherwise they would graduate less than 39? Is that even sufficient for a school district? I'm not even talking football here.

What is meant by transfers? Are those students transferring into the district? Otherwise they would graduate less than 39? Is that even sufficient for a school district? I'm not even talking football here.
I really don’t know how the PIAA counts athletic transfers. But the move up rule considers success points and transfers into the school. The Quips had 8 apparently. Southern Columbia had plenty of success points but only or or two transfers in the time period as defined by the PIAA, so they don’t have to move up.

How one is supposed to define an athletic transfer has long been a major point of contention of and with the PIAA, and I don’t think it’s really possible as kids transfer for a host of reasons. Personally the transfer aspect is too murky and should just be removed from the calculus as they should define some other criteria for forced moves.

I really don’t know how the PIAA counts athletic transfers. But the move up rule considers success points and transfers into the school. The Quips had 8 apparently. Southern Columbia had plenty of success points but only or or two transfers in the time period as defined by the PIAA, so they don’t have to move up.

How one is supposed to define an athletic transfer has long been a major point of contention of and with the PIAA, and I don’t think it’s really possible as kids transfer for a host of reasons. Personally the transfer aspect is too murky and should just be removed from the calculus as they should define some other criteria for forced moves.
Why not just leave a school, especially a small public school in it’s enrollment defined classification. This competitive balance crap has really gotten out of hand. (Especially since the optics seem to show it is not applied the same across the PIAA.)

Reactions: bison13
Why not just leave a school, especially a small public school in it’s enrollment defined classification. This competitive balance crap has really gotten out of hand. (Especially since the optics seem to show it is not applied the same across the PIAA.)
I’m not a fan of the forced move up either. I was making the point that using transfers as part of the criteria seems impossible to manage. Another poster said about going back to 4 classes and I agree. They seemed logical and much easier to enforce. Really big schools are in 4A and really small in single A. From there you just mostly have to worry about double and triple A. Much less moving parts and perhaps and bitching about classes.

Because the true public schools raised hell and even went to court because Catholic and private schools recruit a ton. Not fair to play them at all. The PIAA tried this as a solution but it is hard to enforce. And making an A school play 5A isn’t right either.

Because the true public schools raised hell and even went to court because Catholic and private schools recruit a ton. Not fair to play them at all. The PIAA tried this as a solution but it is hard to enforce. And making an A school play 5A isn’t right either.
Exactly, This is my point a few posts back. PIAA should have separate catholic/private divisions. Leave the publics where they are classified.

Bumping this. Tonight, the Quips won their appeal to the PIAA by a vote of 21-4. They will remain in 4A for 2022. Aliquippa were represented by head coach Mike Warfield and Aliquippa alum/Pro Football HOF’er Ty Law.
Great news. Thanks for posting it! Will update title to reflect this news.

Edit: And for a Pitt guy......you aren’t bad!😉

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
It’s not really news. So, I didn’t want to start a new thread. Southern Columbia Head Coach Jim Roth said he’d like to open next year with a game against the Quips in Chambersburg. Was during an interview on WNEP 16 news

It’s not really news. So, I didn’t want to start a new thread. Southern Columbia Head Coach Jim Roth said he’d like to open next year with a game against the Quips in Chambersburg. Was during an interview on WNEP 16 news
Living near Frederick Md I might drive to see that one.

I'm not making any specific recommendation, but let's look at the math..
If a school is graduating 39 kids, that means:
-roughly 20 boys are seniors
-assuming most varsity players come from grades 10-12, that a total of 60 boys in the school from which to field a FB team (and a soccer team, etc).
-8 kids who moved into the district and then playing on the FB team is a massive number, and it certainly isn't random.

To take it to an extreme example, Penn State has 40K undergrads at UP. Notre Dame has 8800. Does that mean Notre dame can't compete with PSU? Frankly, Aliquippa should be struggling just to field a football team based on numbers, let alone winning 4A championships. I won't pretend to know all the dynamics of the area/school/team, but it would seem like making them play up a certain number of levels isn't that unjustified. If they are recruiting to a level to win back to back 4A titles, why not a move to 5A?
For those more familiar, what am I missing?

I might be wrong but I thought the Quips were opening against McDevitt. Good matchups either way.

-assuming most varsity players come from grades 10-12, that a total of 60 boys in the school from which to field a FB team (and a soccer team, etc).
-8 kids who moved into the district and then playing on the FB team is a massive number, and it certainly isn't random.

To take it to an extreme example, Penn State has 40K undergrads at UP. Notre Dame has 8800. Does that mean Notre dame can't compete with PSU? Frankly, Aliquippa should be struggling just to field a football team based on numbers, let alone winning 4A championships. I won't pretend to know all the dynamics of the area/school/team, but it would seem like making them play up a certain number of levels isn't that unjustified. If they are recruiting to a level to win back to back 4A titles, why not a move to 5A?
The Quips used to be a big school and played Quad A for years. But when all the steel mills closed they and other schools shrunk but Aliquippa did the most. They are now a single A team by enrollment but have always played up by their own choice at three A to play where most of their old rivalries now play. Beaver Falls, Ambridge, New Castle, and others (changes for time to time where each fall). And even though they have played up two more levels they kept winning. So the state made them play up to four A and they won again. So the state wanted them to move up yet again. Doesn’t seem fair to make them four levels higher.

As for kids transferring in, no doubt a lot do so for football. Same thing happens with Clairton. But when you look at most of these kids situation it can be justified. Most grow up in single parent homes....meaning no father. And often mom isn’t a decent mother. Lots of drug abuse, criminal records, abusive relationships.....so the kids go move in with the grandmother or uncle or older sister/brother. And since football is their dream to escape they look for a relative in those schools districts.

Rough situation without an easy answer. But making a single A school play five A doesn’t seem right.

A big issue for these kids transferring in would be money. Spin suggested a lot are going to relatives places to get out of a bad situation and I'm sure that is a lot of them.

I would say that if these kids were truly transferring for football reasons why aren't they going to a program like Central Valley which is just about as good, with nicer things. CV would have a nicer weight room, more gear, better travel to the games, probably have a booster club that feeds them after each game Etc. So to me its obviously a money issue where finding cheap house is much easier than anywhere else in that area.

Reactions: heckmans
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT