ADVERTISEMENT

Al Michaels out at NBC Sports

"Meanwhile, NBC is very high on Eagle and Blackledge following their first season calling the Big Ten. The duo will have NBC’s call of the Steelers and Bengals on Dec. 23. That day, Tirico and Collinsworth will be in the booth for the Bills and the Chargers that is exclusively on Peacock."

I haven't heard Michaels since he was on NBC but he was great there. I don't know if he's slipped some or not but it seems odd they'd do this during the season.

Reactions: jimarnp
How do they even judge these things? Al is a legend. Do they look at ratings and see them slip a little then blame Al? Is he now a poor play by play guy? Getting some millenial in there will do what?

How do they even judge these things? Al is a legend. Do they look at ratings and see them slip a little then blame Al? Is he now a poor play by play guy? Getting some millenial in there will do what?
I would love to know that. How do they decide? Unless Al has slipped badly, even if they didn't want him back in 2024, you'd think they'd say "This is Al Michaels swan song, tune in to hear his last game" and then they might get a ratings tweak that way. He's got to be their highest profile broadcaster or if not then very close to it.

Could it be a money thing? I read he gets $1 million per game. Maybe they can plug in a guy getting $100 K per game and save $900 K.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I would love to know that. How do they decide? Unless Al has slipped badly, even if they didn't want him back in 2024, you'd think they'd say "This is Al Michaels swan song, tune in to hear his last game" and then they might get a ratings tweak that way. He's got to be their highest profile broadcaster or if not then very close to it.

Could it be a money thing? I read he gets $1 million per game. Maybe they can plug in a guy getting $100 K per game and save $900 K.
He apparently has another year on his contract with Amazon Prime for Thursday night games. I don’t think he had called any games on NBC these last two years, but was going to be called in when NBC has more than one game in coming weeks. NBC just had Sunday night football and I guess the one crew of Tirico & Collingsworth.

There is obviously some way to evaluate all these guys that is beyond me. There are probably subtle finer points of the craft that you don't notice unless you are in the biz. On the surface all of these national broadcasters seem very professional so for me it is hard to differentiate between them.

Al is so good he has reached iconic status (think Keith Jackson) and has had so much staying power that it makes me wonder if it is not the technical part of broadcasting but more about control. They get some lesser name in there who some egotistical Exec producer can boss around and to your point save a ton of money without losing ratings then they make the decision.

There is obviously some way to evaluate all these guys that is beyond me. There are probably subtle finer points of the craft that you don't notice unless you are in the biz. On the surface all of these national broadcasters seem very professional so for me it is hard to differentiate between them.

Al is so good he has reached iconic status (think Keith Jackson) and has had so much staying power that it makes me wonder if it is not the technical part of broadcasting but more about control. They get some lesser name in there who some egotistical Exec producer can boss around and to your point save a ton of money without losing ratings then they make the decision.
You really think they’re going with Eagle and Blackledge so they can “boss them around”?

Seems like NBC needs a crew for one game…they’re going with their college crew that’s worked all season and will adjust to the NFL, rather than putting Michaels out there with a new partner. I’d probably rather Michaels and whoever, but seems like people were underwhelmed by Michaels/Dungy last year.

For a network like NBC, we can offer the perfect man from Fox to replace Al Michaels -- the upwardly mobile Gus Johnson.

College Basketball Dancing GIF by BIG EAST Conference

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
You really think they’re going with Eagle and Blackledge so they can “boss them around”?

Seems like NBC needs a crew for one game…they’re going with their college crew that’s worked all season and will adjust to the NFL, rather than putting Michaels out there with a new partner. I’d probably rather Michaels and whoever, but seems like people were underwhelmed by Michaels/Dungy last year.
Just seems odd that there is no home for Al at NBC now. What about Tirico and Collinsworth? Yes, a producer can influence an Eagle to their way much easier than Al. Maybe Al is getting more difficult to work with as he is older. Has Blackledge everv done an NFL game?

Just seems odd that there is no home for Al at NBC now. What about Tirico and Collinsworth? Yes, a producer can influence an Eagle to their way much easier than Al. Maybe Al is getting more difficult to work with as he is older. Has Blackledge everv done an NFL game?
NBC has two games that weekend…Tirico will cover one, and Michaels thought he’d have the other one (as his only game for NBC all season).

Eagle and Blackledge are on a game next weekend too when NBc has two games. Not sure if Todd has done any regular season NFL games, but he’s definitely done preseason games as a color guy.

I am sure they do post game analysis of the announcers every week. Did he miss cues to commercials? Miss the spotters in the truck on a replay? Use the wrong names for players? Talk too much or not enough? And a dozen more criteria.

About a month ago he did a game and at one point his speech was really slurred, like his dentures were lose or something. He didn’t seem as sharp as he was in the past. But that was one game….maybe he was fighting a cold or something.

Seems they could have handled this better. The guy is an icon and deserves a curtain call. Or two.

I am sure they do post game analysis of the announcers every week. Did he miss cues to commercials? Miss the spotters in the truck on a replay? Use the wrong names for players? Talk too much or not enough? And a dozen more criteria.

About a month ago he did a game and at one point his speech was really slurred, like his dentures were lose or something. He didn’t seem as sharp as he was in the past. But that was one game….maybe he was fighting a cold or something.

Seems they could have handled this better. The guy is an icon and deserves a curtain call. Or two.
Agreed but he's 79 years old. I have to believe the travel can be tough. I don't have any scorecard but he's been spotty. As you said, I watched a game where he sounded really bad. Then, more recently, he's been just fine. But the studio is investing a lot ($1m a game, as I understand it) and has a lot to lose. Not only does he have to be good, he has to be good every single time. He seems to be inconsistent.

I saw this article, a couple of months old, where he was asked about retirement.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Agreed but he's 79 years old. I have to believe the travel can be tough. I don't have any scorecard but he's been spotty. As you said, I watched a game where he sounded really bad. Then, more recently, he's been just fine. But the studio is investing a lot ($1m a game, as I understand it) and has a lot to lose. Not only does he have to be good, he has to be good every single time. He seems to be inconsistent.

I saw this article, a couple of months old, where he was asked about retirement.

As a 79 year old, I walk 3-4 miles every day. I am dragging my butt as I walk into our garage. Every year, you lose a % of your energy. As you near 80, that % is greater every year. Time for AL to travel and see the world.
PS. I found a whole new avocation and ministry after I retired. Retirement should open new doors , not restrict your life.

As a 79 year old, I walk 3-4 miles every day. I am dragging my butt as I walk into our garage. Every year, you lose a % of your energy. As you near 80, that % is greater every year. Time for AL to travel and see the world.
PS. I found a whole new avocation and ministry after I retired. Retirement should open new doors , not restrict your life.
to me, everyone is different. I am sure Al enjoys the perks that come along with being at every major sports event in America and getting paid $1m to be there. But it appears that this decision is being made for him.

1skfpd.jpg

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Too funny - The next Headline was just as good: Harvard President Claudine Gay In Hot Water For Plagiarizing Large Sections Of 'Mein Kampf'

They did a follow-up with the I have A Dream speech.

Corso's 88. Doesn't stop ESPN from propping that fossil up in front of a camera every Saturday for 3 hours.

Michaels was pretty good with Collinsworth about 6 or 8 years ago. Now they're both too political and Collinsworth thinks he gets paid by the word. I have the sound off for most games anyway. Most sports fans understand what's going on without these people's spin on it.

Reactions: royboy
Corso's 88. Doesn't stop ESPN from propping that fossil up in front of a camera every Saturday for 3 hours.

Michaels was pretty good with Collinsworth about 6 or 8 years ago. Now they're both too political and Collinsworth thinks he gets paid by the word. I have the sound off for most games anyway. Most sports fans understand what's going on without these people's spin on it.
..or Terry Bradshaw.

My guess is that they'd give Michaels as studio job, if he wanted it. but play by play has passed him by.

Now, don't get me started on those embarrassing Chris Berman halftime clips. Woop!

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
to me, everyone is different. I am sure Al enjoys the perks that come along with being at every major sports event in America and getting paid $1m to be there. But it appears that this decision is being made for him.

1skfpd.jpg
I agree but it also takes courage to let go and then see what and see what God has ub store for your sone people are afraid to let go.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT