ADVERTISEMENT

A Quick Medical Update - Knee Replacement Surgery!

ILLINOISLION

May 29, 2001
For those considering or needing knee replacement surgery, I encourage you to proceed.

After becoming more and more bothered by bone upon bone and the lack of any relief by injections over the last two years, I had a total right knee replacement on 12/31/16.

Three days in the hospital.....a week in a rehab facility.....two weeks of in-home rehab /nursing visits.....six weeks of out-patient visits (3 3 2 2 2 2). (Nineteen days without Fonzie.)

As of today, I'm FREE!

I'm fortunate that I never experienced any pain or discomfort after the surgery higher than a 2 on the 10 point "pain scale". Was walking without a walker on day four and without a cane on day seven. Driving again at the two+ week mark and by all accounts my flexibility and strength came back several weeks ahead of what would normally be expected throughout the process.

I realize not everyone will be as fortunate as I was but it is so nice not to be in constant discomfort as I was for the last two years. While I know I must continue the rehab process on my own going forward, most of the time I'm unaware of any differences between the two knees.

I just want to again encourage anyone contemplating this process to seriously think about going ahead with it. Personally the relief was immediate.....there was never one time from the recovery room onward that I didn't feel better than I did walking into the hospital that morning for the surgery!

Resuming bowling next Tues morning and making plans for a week of golf in LaQuinta in early-March!

I hear Mr. Andrew likes his Moderators healthy. Can now pass the physical test.....the mental test, well, to be determined!

Great news. My wife is an O.T. and works the Hip/Knee Program at the hospital where I had my surgery. She sees successes everyday with those procedures.

At least 8 more weeks for me of follow ups and 12 weeks of cardio rehab.. I look forward to duplicating the feat my good pal MaconNitt did post his procedure, hole-in-one first time out golfing after rehab!

For those considering or needing knee replacement surgery, I encourage you to proceed.

Great news. My wife is an O.T. and works the Hip/Knee Program at the hospital where I had my surgery
HEY GUYS...
thumbs-up.gif

After becoming more and more bothered by bone upon bone and the lack of any relief by injections over the last two years, I had a total right knee replacement on 12/31/16.

Three days in the hospital.....a week in a rehab facility.....two weeks of in-home rehab /nursing visits.....six weeks of out-patient visits (3 3 2 2 2 2). (Nineteen days without Fonzie.)

As of today, I'm FREE!

I'm fortunate that I never experienced any pain or discomfort after the surgery higher than a 2 on the 10 point "pain scale". Was walking without a walker on day four and without a cane on day seven. Driving again at the two+ week mark and by all accounts my flexibility and strength came back several weeks ahead of what would normally be expected throughout the process.

I realize not everyone will be as fortunate as I was but it is so nice not to be in constant discomfort as I was for the last two years. While I know I must continue the rehab process on my own going forward, most of the time I'm unaware of any differences between the two knees.

I just want to again encourage anyone contemplating this process to seriously think about going ahead with it. Personally the relief was immediate.....there was never one time from the recovery room onward that I didn't feel better than I did walking into the hospital that morning for the surgery!

Resuming bowling next Tues morning and making plans for a week of golf in LaQuinta in early-March!

I hear Mr. Andrew likes his Moderators healthy. Can now pass the physical test.....the mental test, well, to be determined!
Illinois. ...my wife suffers from the same bone on bone problem. However she is only 45 and her ortho said she is too young for knee replacement since they only last about 15 years.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
(If you do mind I'm withdrawing my support for your board moderator campaign :p)

Reactions: 91Joe95
Great news. My wife is an O.T. and works the Hip/Knee Program at the hospital where I had my surgery. She sees successes everyday with those procedures.

At least 8 more weeks for me of follow ups and 12 weeks of cardio rehab.. I look forward to duplicating the feat my good pal MaconNitt did post his procedure, hole-in-one first time out golfing after rehab!

I asked my doc if I could play golf after my surgery, he said yes. I said that's great, I couldn't play before! (Sorry, an old AND bad joke!)

I was lucky I had very good people like your wife guiding me through the rehab process. Good luck, your rehab battle is a lot tougher than mine was but you are off to a great start.....keep us advised, you have a lot of good friends here!

Reactions: rudedude
Illinois. ...my wife suffers from the same bone on bone problem. However she is only 45 and her ortho said she is too young for knee replacement since they only last about 15 years.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
(If you do mind I'm withdrawing my support for your board moderator campaign :p)

Based on the birth records from Temple University Hospital and maintained by The State of Pennsylvania, I'll be 67 next month.

But based on the level of corruption in PA.....exceeded only by the corruption here in IL.....I'm maintaining I'm much younger than that. (Most people guess I'm mid-50's.)

As of today, I'm FREE!

It looks like I'm headed that way in a couple of months. I don't want to spend another ski season like this, bone on bone with arthritis. Shots got me back on the groomers only but walking is still painful. Luckily the Doctor everybody has been recommending in Denver has just moved to the Steadman clinic so the logistics will be simpler. They tell me that if you are in good shape he does the surgery as a one hour out patient basis. Glad yours worked out. Hope mine does.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Based on the birth records from Temple University Hospital and maintained by The State of Pennsylvania, I'll be 67 next month.

But based on the level of corruption in PA.....exceeded only by the corruption here in IL.....I'm maintaining I'm much younger than that. (Most people guess I'm mid-50's.)
Knowing your age explains your sharp wit which is generally a combination of intellect and experience. You and I are close in age, although I will leave open the question of who is more senior. In any event, Happy Birthday in advance in case the actual date finds me in the mountains of Tibet.:)

ILLI...Glad to hear that you are recovering well. My sister-in-law had a knee replacement 16 months ago and she feels great. I think she was 61 or 62 at the time.

I had to retire from playing soccer about 10 years ago ("I hit 50--50 hit back") due to bad knees and have been lucky to be mostly pain free since. But my dad, who had bad hip problems all his life, was finally allowed to have hip replacement surgery at about 85. He noted that he was in less pain right after the surgery than he had been for the previous 20. It was a godsend and gave him a much better quality of life for his last 5 years. Prior to that, they didn't want to do the surgery as he was "too old". Fortunately, the concept of quality of life came more to the fore in those years.

Congrats. Most every one that has the surgery feels so much better that they should have done it sooner. Just keep doing the exercises.

One thing to be aware of. Doing such surgeries, hip and knees, often will make one leg longer than the other. If not corrected for by using shoe inserts, it could lead to your hips shifting and causing back problems. Most surgeons check for it but some don't.

As of today, I'm FREE!

Always rate your pain an 8 out of 10. :D

As of today, I'm FREE!

Glad to hear you're recovering quickly, Illinois. I had both hips done 9 years ago. I felt 20 years younger when I left the hospital than I did when I went in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT