ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Hagens get a pass?

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Evidently he is a great recruiter. 2023 proves that he needs improvement as a coach. His job was to teach kids how to play the position. Most of the other coaches were successful. Young players got better. Not one WR got better and at the end the room showed a huge regression.
There is hope. Kotelnicki says that he spends a lot of time observing each player group in practice. Maybe he can teach Hagens how to reach technique for the position.
He was a total, absolute failure as a coach this year.
The 247 crew sorta covered fir him because he did not have one of his recruits. That is baloney. He gets paid to teach, show and encourage kids to play the position and how to get better.

Evidently he is a great recruiter. 2023 proves that he needs improvement as a coach. His job was to teach kids how to play the position. Most of the other coaches were successful. Young players got better. Not one WR got better and at the end the room showed a huge regression.
There is hope. Kotelnicki says that he spends a lot of time observing each player group in practice. Maybe he can teach Hagens how to reach technique for the position.
The 247 crew sorta covered fir him because he did not have one of his recruits. That is baloney. He gets paid to teach, show and encourage kids to play the position and how to get better.
Already have the winner of the dumbest post of the year...

Already have the winner of the dumbest post of the year...
You are clueless. A coach, manager or supervisor must be a good teacher to be successful. He failed to teach in 2023.
By what silly knowledge are you basing tour reply? Do you think he did a good job?
Look at the development of our youg OL this year. Dud you see any development at WR..
Your response highlights your lack of knowledge or experience teaching people how to do better things using better techniques and effort.
Franklin is a great teacher based on the success of his direct reports in leaving for head coaching jobs.

Were Joe, Galen, and McQueary failures when they couldn’t coach up Gerald Smith and Mark Rubin to Big Ten level receivers in 2004, but suddenly discovered how to coach WRs when DWill, Butler, and Norwood arrived?
LMAOROFL we're talking about SEVENTEEN kids, not 2. I have taken over failed operations and taught them how to get better. I believe Kotelnicki will do the same.
Hagens supervisor was fired. He did not help Hagens get the job done.

LMAOROFL we're talking about SEVENTEEN kids, not 2. I have taken over failed operations and taught them how to get better. I believe Kotelnicki will do the same.
Hagens supervisor was fired. He did not help Hagens get the job done.
So I guess I needed to add Terrance Philips, Terrell Golden, Kinta, Surma, Ryan Scott, etc? I’m sure a good coaching staff would have taught them to play at a Big Ten level, right? Talent means nothing, since you’ve taken over failed operations?

You are clueless. A coach, manager or supervisor must be a good teacher to be successful. He failed to teach in 2023.
By what silly knowledge are you basing tour reply? Do you think he did a good job?
Look at the development of our youg OL this year. Dud you see any development at WR..
Your response highlights your lack of knowledge or experience teaching people how to do better things using better techniques and effort.
Franklin is a great teacher based on the success of his direct reports in leaving for head coaching jobs.
You might want to learn how to write before you talk about teaching...By the way, the "hair from the dog that bit you" isn't helping, start chugging again.

I think to a certain extent most of you are correct but an ignored factor is the impact of illness and/or injury or both in the development of Wallace, Evans and Carmelo Taylor. You can instruct players about technique outside a real game environment but you cannot completely teach them to play the position without reps. Game reps are more impactful than practice reps in development and teaching.

Otherwise, the wr room, among the many that were there .... Looks to me like the portal might be their friend.

BTW ... Where has Lambert-Smith gone?

Reactions: hoflane
"I have taken over failed operations and taught them how to get better"

Q. Did you decide they should put the fries in a bigger bag than the one they were using after getting them out of the deep fryer?

Reactions: Phil's Rug
Talk to any middle school or high school teacher. The best teaching is for naught if the student is not invested. There have been plenty of reports about a lack of commitment in the WR room.
In the business world, when operation is unsuccessful, the manager is always responsible. PS.
A coach is also responsible for the morale of his team. I expect that Koltelnicki will help Hagens and the WR room improve.

Are you guys watching the Wisky/LSU game. Wisky has a true freshman WR that looks very good. Was just a high 3 star recruit but has decent length, gets open and can actually catch a football. But then again their QB seems to actually throw the ball to him where he can catch it. I'm not trying to pin PSU's passing game woes on the QB's or the WR, although we all know the WR's aren't making many plays, but as the years go by and PSU fails to recruit/develop playmakers at WR I don't understand why we don't see players like this kid breaking out at PSU. Especially since PSU consistently out recruits Wisky year in and year out.

Last edited:

Q. Did you decide they should put the fries in a bigger bag than the one they were using after getting them out of the deep fryer?
I did 2 major turn arounds. In the last one 6 managers reported to me and 600+ people. I did not replace the poor performers. I taught the team better strategies, and better techniques. I did not fire any of the management. Everyone learned how to improve.
That was 20 years ago and my salary was $87,000. Both Ford and GM ISO inspectors Saud the operation was one of the best in the industry.
I am impressed with Kotelnicki. He will improve the WRs and their coach. This is a great career opportunity for Hagens. He needs it.
Anyone who thinks he did a,good job has never managed people who supervise others. I wish him well.

Are you guys watching the Wisky/LSU game. Wisky has a true freshman WR that looks very good. Was just a high 3 star recruit but has decent length, gets open and can actually catch a football. But then again their QB seems to actually throw the ball to him where he can catch it. I'm not trying to pin PSU's passing game woes on the QB's or the WR, although we all know the WR's aren't making many plays, but as the years go by and PSU fails to recruit/develop playmakers at WR I don't understand why we don't see players like this kid breaking out at PSU. Especially since PSU consistently out recruits Wisky year in and year out.
Jahan Dotson and KJ Hamler both seem to be a “player like this” that broke out.

Talk to any middle school or high school teacher. The best teaching is for naught if the student is not invested. There have been plenty of reports about a lack of commitment in the WR room.
That’s coaching. If you can’t inspire at least half the room what good are you? Then why are they here on scholarships? Thin the bloody herd. It didn’t just happen overnight. They knew what they had long before Hagans showed up. Yes, they lost two guys to the NFL but what the hell happened to KLS? The mighty Cephus was terrible. What happened? McClain, Wallace and Meiga still can’t catch. My god it’s the worst receiving corp is CFB. Play the kids that are invested and teach them to get better. Scheme an offense to their strengths and not their weaknesses. That’s coaching. You have 12 kids on scholarship and you can’t find 4 guys to play?

That’s coaching. If you can’t inspire at least half the room what good are you? Then why are they here on scholarships? Thin the bloody herd. It didn’t just happen overnight. They knew what they had long before Hagans showed up. Yes, they lost two guys to the NFL but what the hell happened to KLS? The mighty Cephus was terrible. What happened? McClain, Wallace and Meiga still can’t catch. My god it’s the worst receiving corp is CFB. Play the kids that are invested and teach them to get better. Scheme an offense to their strengths and not their weaknesses. That’s coaching. You have 12 kids on scholarship and you can’t find 4 guys to play?
Explain to us the higher points of Hagen's coaching skills this year.

Hagens a great recruiter? What a joke he can’t even get the wide receivers to run the right routes

Would you say it’s more the talent level of the WR’s than the coaching? In your opinion

I think it's systemic and multifaceted.

Hagans may or may not be a great WR coach. I think judging him off one season is shortsighted, partially when the OP is all "in 1987 I coached people up without firing anybody" yet this is her 3rd created post ripping Hagans.

At the end of the day, we have a QB who plays scared and a scheme that seems stale and got limited the longer the season went. If you watch a lot of college football, or even NFL for that matter, QB play can make WRs look better than they are.

If AK can fix our QB play, our WRs will appear improved.

Jahan Dotson and KJ Hamler both seem to be a “player like this” that broke out.
Yes, those are two very good examples, although both as I remember were rated higher than the Wisky WR I linked. But right now PSU has 11 scholarship WR's on the roster and even KLS hasn't really been they type of consistent performer that Dotson and Hamler were in their last couple of seasons as I remember. KLS was heading that way at the end of last season but pretty much faided away this season.

I think more of the passing woes need to go on the qb, scheme, and wr in that order. You can interchange them as you like as they are all contributing, perhaps equally.

Time and time again you see other teams wr get opened, the qb delivers, and plays are made. Are you telling me we have no one that can get open or that the d for every game we play has blanket coverage?

I get the sense the wr have given up on the scheme and on Allar. When they do get open Allar does not deliver. And/or they just have poor play design to help them get open.

It becomes mental and frustrating. Allar does not throw a deep ball till like 6 games in. Meanwhile you are the wr running the routes time and time again. Never a carrot and you become disinterested.

What a mess. I think the new coordinator will help and give the O some optimism. It will do the same for Allar though in my opinion he may not be fixable. I’m just not sure he has the ability to process the game at the level that is needed.

Add the Wisky QB and WR's to the PSU OL and defense and PSU would likely have a win over either OSU or UM, or both...... o_O

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
In the business world, when operation is unsuccessful, the manager is always responsible. PS.
A coach is also responsible for the morale of his team. I expect that Koltelnicki will help Hagens and the WR room improve.
This isn't the business world. This is a football team with scholarship commitments and a history of not running kids off. Now one could be critical of the recruiting and vetting efforts before the players arrive on campus but once there you work with the hand that is dealt. We shall see what changes are made for next year but don't hold your breath because there are not many scholarships available.

No PSU210 is spot on.

Reactions: bytir
I did 2 major turn arounds. In the last one 6 managers reported to me and 600+ people. I did not replace the poor performers. I taught the team better strategies, and better techniques. I did not fire any of the management. Everyone learned how to improve.
That was 20 years ago and my salary was $87,000. Both Ford and GM ISO inspectors Saud the operation was one of the best in the industry.
I am impressed with Kotelnicki. He will improve the WRs and their coach. This is a great career opportunity for Hagens. He needs it.
Anyone who thinks he did a,good job has never managed people who supervise others. I wish him well.
Well ain’t you special.

You can't do that mid season. We will have to await the changes in the winter and spring. But keep in mind the scholarship limits. Don't expect to see a lot of new faces next year in the WR room.

I think it's systemic and multifaceted.

Hagans may or may not be a great WR coach. I think judging him off one season is shortsighted, partially when the OP is all "in 1987 I coached people up without firing anybody" yet this is her 3rd created post ripping Hagans.

At the end of the day, we have a QB who plays scared and a scheme that seems stale and got limited the longer the season went. If you watch a lot of college football, or even NFL for that matter, QB play can make WRs look better than they are.

If AK can fix our QB play, our WRs will appear improved.
And vice versa. Good thoughts. It just bothers me that the players are reviled while their coach is praised. I believe AK will get all aspects of the offense improved AND that Hagens will become a better coach under AK.

Reactions: lazydave841
You can't do that mid season. We will have to await the changes in the winter and spring. But keep in mind the scholarship limits. Don't expect to see a lot of new faces next year in the WR room.
I expectthat AK will get better results from existing talent + additions. I probably over reacted but I never once in my career blamed team members as a whole for bad results. I don't blame the WRs for being pissed.

I think to a certain extent most of you are correct but an ignored factor is the impact of illness and/or injury or both in the development of Wallace, Evans and Carmelo Taylor. You can instruct players about technique outside a real game environment but you cannot completely teach them to play the position without reps. Game reps are more impactful than practice reps in development and teaching.

Otherwise, the wr room, among the many that were there .... Looks to me like the portal might be their friend.

BTW ... Where has Lambert-Smith gone?
Not sure what KLS status is but his body language suggests he quit on the team. Probably grew tired of bad passes from Allar, realized the season was a waste of time and mentally and emotionally checked out. A marked difference in his play following the Ohio State game except for the one big catch against Indiana. I doubt he suits up again for PSU.

No reason to be an ass with the personal insult.

The failures of this receiver group stands out on an otherwise good team and should be understood.

Here's another high 3 star (.8867 247 composite) that is playing as a ture freshman. And playing well enough to be playing for UM in the national semi-final......... I don't believe Franklin will likely even get in the 12 team playoff unless he gets the WR position improved considerably.

I think more of the passing woes need to go on the qb, scheme, and wr in that order. You can interchange them as you like as they are all contributing, perhaps equally.

Time and time again you see other teams wr get opened, the qb delivers, and plays are made. Are you telling me we have no one that can get open or that the d for every game we play has blanket coverage?

I get the sense the wr have given up on the scheme and on Allar. When they do get open Allar does not deliver. And/or they just have poor play design to help them get open.

It becomes mental and frustrating. Allar does not throw a deep ball till like 6 games in. Meanwhile you are the wr running the routes time and time again. Never a carrot and you become disinterested.

What a mess. I think the new coordinator will help and give the O some optimism. It will do the same for Allar though in my opinion he may not be fixable. I’m just not sure he has the ability to process the game at the level that is needed.
I disagree with your first sentence. QB is #3, and it's more because of #1 and #2. Which of our WRs would start at Michigan, Ohio State, or even Ole Miss? Please tell me. Which would start over any of the receivers we had in 2016?

Clearly Franklin doesn't agree with you, because the coordinator was changed and Allar is still here. We're also going after WRs in the portal as I understand it.

We were 10-3 with a first year starter at QB. A lot of times that's been a recipe for 4 or more losses. The problem is expectations vs. reality.

He's better than anyone else we've got on the roster. The question is whether he can help us take that next step and live up to his first-round billing.

He needs at least one bona fide big-time receiver, for one. It sounds like we may have help coming.

The bigger issue in taking that next step is developing mental toughness. Allar seems like a really nice, humble kid, and that seems to carry over to his play. He also seems like the type that blames himself when things go wrong. He needs to learn to put things behind him and just focus on what he can do in the moment to make things better. He seems to make plays as soon as the pressure is off - witness the late TDs in the Ohio State and Michigan games. When the game is still in doubt he seems to not handle the pressure as well. I believe that is fixable, but it will take some work in the offseason.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions

Nobody got better? KLS went from the #2 receiver to #1 and had twoces as many catches.

Harrison Wallace was better. He was hurt and missed half the year but he has the same number of catches.

Clifford increased his numbers.

If a player or coach only has one season then how do you judge progress? Hagens has been here for 11 months.

How do you know he is even a good recruiter when his recruits have yet to set foot on campus?

Last edited:
I mean Hagans literally couldnt have been any worse year 1. But agree its too early to write him off.

Considering the OC / QB coach got booted, I probably disagree.

Going to be interesting what they do going forward. Departures, portal work, working with the same bunch next season.

Reactions: bytir
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT