ADVERTISEMENT

A coach must be a Teacher at any level

rag195

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2006
NE Pa
Some of you may know that my brother coached at FSU, Marshall and the Naval Academy among other schools in a college career of about 18 years. Since then he has voluntarily coached in HS for 20 some years. Over the years, I have met his HCs and other assistants. Guys who were famous and others not so famous but definitely professional. One of the guys that I knew quite well is Jim Gladden. As an aside he says the most favorite photo he has is one in which he was sitting on a couch during a coaches cruise. On one side was Bobby Bowden and on the other side was Joe Paterno. What Jim told me that the most important characteristic of any Coach at any level is that he is a teacher first!!!

I ask, if you evaluate our PSU coaches, are all of them teachers first and foremost.

Of course, I don’t know that answer.
I wish I knew this.
The AD should know this
So should our HC see if our assistants are teachers.
Post Joe, as an example look at our OL coaches.

Under O’Brien it was Mac Mcwhorter: A true professional. He coached at Texas. His Ols there were top rated
Herb Hand coached at PSU in 2014 and 2015. He left PSU. Coached at Auburn 2016-2017. He coached at Texas 2017-2020. He is now at UCF.
Matt Limegrover at PSU 2016-2019. PSU did not renew his contract why? His record with OL was excellent.
Trautwine began at PSU in 2020. This year well, ?

Mac and Limegrover were teachers

I don’t know about the others.

Yes, coaches are teachers, or they should be. And, if they are really good, like Joepa, they teach more than football. I thought O"Brien was a good coach and was sorry to see him leave. He brought toughness and spirit to a team that had been devastated by the NCAA, PSU BOT, and the media. IF Franklin was to leave I would love to see O'Brien or someone of his style take over. This team seems to need some toughness, as PSU teams of the past were noted for.

Matt Limegrover at PSU 2016-2019. PSU did not renew his contract why? His record with OL was excellent.

Please comment how you came to that conclusion.
Wickopedia. In 2018 PSU averaged 204 yards per game rushing. Best in 10 years. Finished 29 th Nationally and 5 th in big 10. Despite this. PSU did not renew his contract. Check it out

This is a good topic, in general.

It has been said, and it has been my experience as well, that if you can teach something to another person, and explain it at the most basic level, then you really understand the topic at hand.

Whereas if your understanding of the topic isn't deep or well founded, then you're unable to teach it.

Really, it is an IQ test on the topic at hand. If you can teach it, you really, really understand it.

Who was the running back? How many yards per game did the QB have
Who was the running back? How many yards per game did the QB have?
In 2018 there were a number of running backs with Miles Sanders being the featured back. Others also carried the ball. They all did well. Sanders had about 1200 yards if I remember. Trace was QB. Steven’s was Backup. Clifford was third team. The OL consisted of a handful of Studs including Bates and McGovern. Trace had great instincts but he also was banged up in 2018 only completing 53% of his passes. In other words the focus was placed on the run game and Limegrover did his part and our OL took care of business. PSU had a down year and Played Kentucky in Orlando. Got beat badly.

In 2019 PSU went 11-2 and kicked butt in the Cotton Bowl. Limegrover coached well as OL coach and Asst OC/ Run Game coordinator. The unit finished about 19th nationally in the run game with a hodgepodge of RBs including Ricky Slade, Journey Brown, Noah Cain and Devyn Ford.
SC was QB.

Yet his contract was not renewed. I asked that question. No answer just a Rhetorical question. Again I ask why was it not renewed?

Non renewal of K or losing an Offensive coach or 2 seems to be the norm.

In my opinion, the next 3 games are very important for CJF to get this team on the right track for 2022.

Last edited:
In 2018 there were a number of running backs with Miles Sanders being the featured back. Others also carried the ball. They all did well. Sanders had about 1200 yards if I remember. Trace was QB. Steven’s was Backup. Clifford was third team. The OL consisted of a handful of Studs including Bates and McGovern. Trace had great instincts but he also was banged up in 2018 only completing 53% of his passes. In other words the focus was placed on the run game and Limegrover did his part and our OL took care of business. PSU had a down year and Played Kentucky in Orlando. Got beat badly.

In 2019 PSU went 11-2 and kicked butt in the Cotton Bowl. Limegrover coached well as OL coach and Asst OC/ Run Game coordinator. The unit finished about 19th nationally in the run game with a hodgepodge of RBs including Ricky Slade, Journey Brown, Noah Cain and Devyn Ford.
SC was QB.

Yet his contract was not renewed. I asked that question. No answer just a Rhetorical question. Again I ask why was it not renewed?

Non renewal of K or losing an Offensive coach or 2 seems to be the norm.

In my opinion, the next 3 games are very important for CJF to get this team on the right track for 2022.

Presumably his contract wasn't renewed because the line wasn't performing quite to the standard that Franklin sought.

Which is ironic given what's happened the last couple years.

Personally, though Limegrover took a fair amount of heat, I thought his OL performed respectably at least. Not brilliantly by any means. But let's face it: much better than what we've seen since he left.

By the way, I think you may be overstating the record in 2019. My recollection is that Penn State ranked in the mid-30's in the rush game that year...at least in the regular season. It was capped by a fantastic finish in the Cotton Bowl: 400 rushing yards. And then Limegrover was fired.

I reckon we'd kill to have a rushing offense ranked in the mid-30's this year. I mean, it's been pretty awful. In fact, are we still dead last? If not, we're pretty close to that. Did finally show faint signs of life in the 2nd half last week though.

Presumably his contract wasn't renewed because the line wasn't performing quite to the standard that Franklin sought.

Which is ironic given what's happened the last couple years.

Personally, though Limegrover took a fair amount of heat, I thought his OL performed respectably at least. Not brilliantly by any means. But let's face it: much better than what we've seen since he left.

By the way, I think you may be overstating the record in 2019. My recollection is that Penn State ranked in the mid-30's in the rush game that year...at least in the regular season. It was capped by a fantastic finish in the Cotton Bowl: 400 rushing yards. And then Limegrover was fired.

I reckon we'd kill to have a rushing offense ranked in the mid-30's this year. I mean, it's been pretty awful. In fact, are we still dead last? If not, we're pretty close to that. Did finally show faint signs of life in the 2nd half last week though.
2018-29th
2019-36th
Limegrover gone

2020- 55th
2021-119th

Before 16 when Limegrover got here, Herb Hand did worse. I know for a fact that Mark Duda said that PSU guys during Hand’s stint
Did not know who to block and the schemes were very complicated

Yes, coaches are teachers, or they should be. And, if they are really good, like Joepa, they teach more than football. I thought O"Brien was a good coach and was sorry to see him leave. He brought toughness and spirit to a team that had been devastated by the NCAA, PSU BOT, and the media. IF Franklin was to leave I would love to see O'Brien or someone of his style take over. This team seems to need some toughness, as PSU teams of the past were noted for.
I would love to have Schiano as coach! Immediate elite defense and special teams and a disciplined and motivated team that swarms to the ball and never gives up!! He has zero talent at RU except for Bo Melton, Fukasi at LB and of course Johnny "Mr. Football" Langan! and his teams still put out the effort no matter what the score. Wait until he gets his players in place in 2-3 years. He will be kicking our ass regularly. We need tough coach and elite teacher like Schiano.

2018-29th
2019-36th
Limegrover gone

2020- 55th
2021-119th

Before 16 when Limegrover got here, Herb Hand did worse. I know for a fact that Mark Duda said that PSU guys during Hand’s stint
Did not know who to block and the schemes were very complicated
I know people dump on Hand but if he was that bad, how come he has no problem finding jobs at big programs as an OL coach? He must be doing something right?

I would love to have Schiano as coach! Immediate elite defense and special teams and a disciplined and motivated team that swarms to the ball and never gives up!! He has zero talent at RU except for Bo Melton, Fukasi at LB and of course Johnny "Mr. Football" Langan! and his teams still put out the effort no matter what the score. Wait until he gets his players in place in 2-3 years. He will be kicking our ass regularly. We need tough coach and elite teacher like Schiano.
Thank you. Rutgers kicking PSU’s ass regularly gave me a much needed laugh.

I know people dump on Hand but if he was that bad, how come he has no problem finding jobs at big programs as an OL coach? He must be doing something right?
It is easier to get jobs when you are part of the network

The pass protection this year was better than I can recall in a really long time. Pass protection would break down regularly in the past through 2018. Judging the OL soley on the run game is not fair. Our RBs were awful this year with inexperience and injury and our TEs could not block well either on designed runs.

That settles it, hire John Urschel. He taught calculus, surely he can coach the OL. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT