ADVERTISEMENT

6th Year

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Did anyone notice during Nolf/Pagaldo match, the announcers said that Pagaldo took advanatage of the “NEW” rule change for a 6th year?

Basically they said the new rule is if you get hurt after taking your redshirt year you can get a 6th year.

If this is the case Cassar will get it for sure since he was hurt at least 2 yrs and if Shakur was injured in one of his years he will get it as well.

I like it. Not just for our guys, but for anyone that lost an opportunity to compete because of injury. A lot more lenient than the “old” rules that have been posted here many times

Did anyone notice during Nolf/Pagaldo match, the announcers said that Pagaldo took advanatage of the “NEW” rule change for a 6th year?

Basically they said the new rule is if you get hurt after taking your redshirt year you can get a 6th year.

If this is the case Cassar will get it for sure since he was hurt at least 2 yrs and if Shakur was injured in one of his years he will get it as well.

I like it. Not just for our guys, but for anyone that lost an opportunity to compete because of injury. A lot more lenient than the “old” rules that have been posted here many times
Wasn’t that Gibbons saying that? Not the best source IMO.

Yeah I don’t trust Jim Gibbons knowledge of NCAA rules. For goodness sake he can’t even get RBYs initials right!!

He makes a lot of mistakes every broadcast.

I think they should hire David Taylor and Kyle Dake to commentate every televised wrestling event for college. They are more knowledgeable about today’s wrestlers and techniques. JMO.

What I find most amazing about this post is that there are still members of this community that don’t turn down the volume on their TVs and listen to the PSU audio broadcast like the rest of us.

The 5 second delay is a small penalty to pay to listen to a more exciting and knowledgeable pbp.

I don’t sync them up but i do tune out most announcers. Most add no value, just noise.
I never heard the rby/rbv etc. I did catch the 6th year comment and i was SMH.

I had to learn to tune out announcers since watching football, we get fed too much collinsworth, buck and aikman who are all awful. And not enough Romo who still has some insight from recent experience. .

Reactions: a_mshaffer
I don’t sync them up but i do tune out most announcers. Most add no value, just noise.
I never heard the rby/rbv etc. I did catch the 6th year comment and i was SMH.

I had to learn to tune out announcers since watching football, we get fed too much collinsworth, buck and aikman who are all awful. And not enough Romo who still has some insight from recent experience. .
Ironhead is not an announcer. He’s a crazed fan that they let announce!

I think they should hire David Taylor and Kyle Dake to commentate every televised wrestling event for college. They are more knowledgeable about today’s wrestlers and techniques. JMO.
It would be cool to see more turnover like this. Robles is also great, IMO. But there's something to be said about a "professional broadcaster" when they are real pros. Knowledge does not translate into polish. Bryant comes to mind.

What I find most amazing about this post is that there are still members of this community that don’t turn down the volume on their TVs and listen to the PSU audio broadcast like the rest of us.

The 5 second delay is a small penalty to pay to listen to a more exciting and knowledgeable pbp.

A few clicks of the pause button and I'm golden every time. Just wait for a whistle and it's a peice of cake to time it.

Hard to do when you watch the game from a DVR after returning from the match.

Yeah I don’t trust Jim Gibbons knowledge of NCAA rules. For goodness sake he can’t even get RBYs initials right!!

He makes a lot of mistakes every broadcast.

But that would end the " nose over toes" and "bringing your hips to the party" drinking games. I don't mind Gibbons as much as some announcers. And he definitely beats some of the student U announcers.

Hard to do when you watch the game from a DVR after returning from the match.
Obviously your wife or kids are helping you with the DVR. Perhaps you might ask one of them how to record the Lionvision audio as well.;)

PS If Ironhead did the commentary on Mrs. Antaeus’ shows (“This Is Us”, “The Voice”, :confused:etc.) we “might” actually watch a show together as he upgrades viewing at least 50%.

FWIW it was the pbp guy that claimed this was a new rule. Seems his source was Zeke, but might be assumptions based. I find Gibbons brings good insight, but he has his irritating ticks.

I'm guessing Jim really drives you guys crazy! He is a friend and I still get irritated by the stuff sometimes. He does know the sport and really respects all things wrestling. He did give us the famous "no sh_t" plus he doesn't accuse anyone of an illegal fist to the back. Just sticking up for my buddy;)
And yet.... the fist to the back is a source of never ending smiles. Lol. We gotta have some fun once in a while.

I don't mind Gibbons I think he knows history and obviously understands the technical aspect of the sport. Although when the announcers were talking about dynasty programs I think that it should always be mentioned how the 9.9 rule started I think in 1990 changed the dynamics of the sport. It is far more difficult to dominate the team sport than what Iowa and Ok St did prior to the rule. Even after 1990 Iowa worked loopholes to create an advantage in recruiting.

There is no new rule, or the NCAA would have published something. This is not a wrestling-only phenomenon, and by my thinking is a change in application of existing rules. I will keep looking for clarification, but that's the way I see it right now.

I enjoyed Ken Chertow. Felt like he brought a lot to the broadcast.

Chertow was/is great but I don't believe he covered any of the mat action at NCAAs last spring, did he? He was definitely part of the coverage in prior years.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Gibbons. He has tons of knowledge as a coach and wrestler. When he is among fresh faces I think it makes the PBP/ commentary much better.

I do also enjoy Robles. He’s been a great addition during the NCAA tournament.

I also agree that Byers would add a ton of excitement to the TV broadcasts. I enjoy listening to him give PBP on lionvision.

Reactions: lionlover
Ironhead is great, but he interprets (?) a lot of the moves incorrectly... wouldn't trade him for anyone though!

Ironhead is great, but he interprets (?) a lot of the moves incorrectly... wouldn't trade him for anyone though!
That’s why Byers and Gibby would be good together - the dulcet tones of Ironhead paired with true technical acumen.

I’d like Ironhead to do a play by play of a typical trip by me to Target. “And now Chickenman is checking out the Milf in Yoga Pants near the Intimates Aisle. HOW DO YOU DO CHICKENMAN TESTA”

Byers is a great radio announcer for Penn State. His intensity and bias plays great on radio. He would have to tone it down for national TV event.
I typically do not watch the matches unless there on broadcast TV. Ironhead makes it great to listen to it. He's able to paint a picture thru his fanatical eyes that plays great for us Penn State fans.

Reactions: BoHunter0210
There is no new rule, or the NCAA would have published something. This is not a wrestling-only phenomenon, and by my thinking is a change in application of existing rules. I will keep looking for clarification, but that's the way I see it right now.

Just listening to Doug Schwab interview on trackrestling. At around 3:15 minute mark he goes into same stuff the announcer said in PSU match. It may not be posted but obviously these coaches know something we don’t. And he makes it seems the rules are black and white

It's not a new rule. Applying for a 6th year based on certain circumstances has been in place for a long time. What's new is the NCAA in its desire to become more friendly toward the athlete's has been more prone to grant those 6th years, where in years past it has been fairly rarely awarded.

It's not a new rule. Applying for a 6th year based on certain circumstances has been in place for a long time. What's new is the NCAA in its desire to become more friendly toward the athlete's has been more prone to grant those 6th years, where in years past it has been fairly rarely awarded.

If the guidelines have changed its “new” just as Schwab said

As Schwab describes it, the old rule was you had to lose 2 yrs to get 1 back. Now it’s 1 for 1

Last edited:
I don't mind Gibbons I think he knows history and obviously understands the technical aspect of the sport. Although when the announcers were talking about dynasty programs I think that it should always be mentioned how the 9.9 rule started I think in 1990 changed the dynamics of the sport. It is far more difficult to dominate the team sport than what Iowa and Ok St did prior to the rule. Even after 1990 Iowa worked loopholes to create an advantage in recruiting.
Prior to 9.9 it was 11. Not a huge difference. When the cut was made it was 10% across the board for all men's sports. It was to free up money for women's scholarships. I'm to lazy to look up when it happened.

Gibbons’ technical acumen is usually spot on. He usually understands what’s about to happen before it does. Pronouncing names, remembering current details of teams and competors, recognizing we are in new set of glory days—those aren’t his strengths.

I love JB as much as anyone, but his calls are best for the radio—word pictures, and excitement transference are his bread and butter. Is ok for a PSU fan with video, but it’s a different skill set to augment what everyone is seeing vs describe what you’re seeing to everyone.

Reactions: Callthestall
I wonder if these 6th years become more frequent how that impacts recruiting and the 9.9 allocations. Could cause some guys to bolt for other places, would make the team race tighter, which I feel is good for the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT