ADVERTISEMENT

5 reasons PSU will not win in St Louis

JPW, I think we need at least one more to get into the top half of the podium in that case. Or, everyone on the bottom half to move up one more spot.

I think Brock and Heil both winning the whole thing would make OSU tough to beat if everyone else holds serve to some degree.
125-Pic 8th
133-1/st
141-1/st
149-2/nd
157-6/th
165-8/th
174-5/th
184-5/th
197-8/th
285-7/th

Would this do it? It looks possible to me.

This would put them at 80 points in placement only, that doesn't account for advancement, which could be about 24ish? Accounting for some bonus too, I think this puts them in the 110 range.

This would put them at 80 points in placement only, that doesn't account for advancement, which could be about 24ish? Accounting for some bonus too, I think this puts them in the 110 range.
When I did my estimates, I had us finishing with 105. Without Suriano, I had PSU with 115. Of course, I lose our bracket pool every year, so....take that for what it is worth.

We would need some major upsets along the way. Sorry @WildTurk, may have to cheer for Brooks and Sorenson. But if I do that, then I have to cheer for Palacio. And of course, Picc to beat Gilman!

When I did my estimates, I had us finishing with 105. Without Suriano, I had PSU with 115. Of course, I lose our bracket pool every year, so....take that for what it is worth.

We would need some major upsets along the way. Sorry @WildTurk, may have to cheer for Brooks and Sorenson. But if I do that, then I have to cheer for Palacio. And of course, Picc to beat Gilman!

I find it interesting that Picc's road pretty much will intersect with the Lizak/Suriano/Terao quarter. (Once Picc loses to Gilman that is! ;))

Reactions: jtothemfp
If I always root for the guy wrestling Iowa is that the same as rooting against Iowa?

Just kidding, you better believe I was pulling for the Mullet last Sunday. The guy I root for/against depends on which result would help PSU. I think that's all part of rooting for my team.

Right; wasn't that on one of those old Mellon Bank buttons from the 80s:

"My two favorite teams are Penn State & whoever's playing Pitt"

Reactions: diggerpup
I find it interesting that Picc's road pretty much will intersect with the Lizak/Suriano/Terao quarter. (Once Picc loses to Gilman that is! ;))

Yep. Looking at the bracket, Picciccinni will need his A-game to place better than R12 / (2-2).

JPW, I think we need at least one more to get into the top half of the podium in that case. Or, everyone on the bottom half to move up one more spot.

Crutch is another guy I could picture winning the whole thing or failing to even place. He is so powerful when he pulls the trigger, but often looks disinterested while he is competing. I always see him as very dangerous but sometimes just lacking the will. I know he has fought injuries and maybe that is all I really see. Love his skill set.

I prefer to think of us as the REAL OSU, and them as the bucknuts.

I enjoy watching good wrestling, no matter who is doing it. I may want someone else to win, but I am not going to go all crazy about it. It isn't like my rooting for someone will make them win or lose.

Yeah, I'm this way too. Sometimes I'm surprised how much the move of my prime fandom from football to wrestling has:

a. Mellowed me out
b. Increased my appreciation for the talents of wrestlers on other teams
c. Made me far less partisan, and appreciative of fans of other teams

But I think that last one just shows that, very generally, Wrestling Fans are the best fans.

Yep. Looking at the bracket, Picciccinni will need his A-game to place better than R12 / (2-2).
hater. :rolleyes:

A guy over on Hawkeye is going through every match using wrestlestat. Has gotten through 174. Team scores so far are (not including bonus):
OSU 91.5
PSU 70
Bucknuts 50

I am liking it so far!

Yeah, I'm this way too. Sometimes I'm surprised how much the move of my prime fandom from football to wrestling has:

a. Mellowed me out

But I think that last one just shows that, very generally, Wrestling Fans are the best fans.
The ability to appreciate other fans and wrestling fans are the best fans.
Dang. That explains why Pitt has no wrestling fans.

I can't even imagine how depressing this would be if I hadn't bandwagoned myself to PSU. I'm stuck hoping for one low AA with some really good fortune without my "other" team. I enjoy the stories around the guys as much as anything. It amazes me how much all of these guys sacrifice to get the chance to heave their hearts torn out time after time. Anyone competing in this tournament has much respect imo. The college wrestlers left behind have earned it as well- It takes a ton of guts to go out there time after time and compete your best against guys clearly more talented. Wrestling builds men no matter the level of success.

Reactions: CowboyUp61

a. Mellowed me out

that is why nationals is so much fun. I have probably met a few of you, and shared a beer and a laugh, through the years. Same with Iowa fans. Try not to hang around with Bucknuts in fear something would rub off. Wrestling is one big happy family, at least between sessions, and excepting bulletin boards.

Can give you a cool example on small scale. At our recent Kids state tourney, one of the club coaches had a medical problem between the morning session and finals. It was announced at the beginning of the finals session, and before the end almost $4000 had been raised to help.

The ability to appreciate other fans and wrestling fans are the best fans.
Dang. That explains why Pitt has no wrestling fans.

Ha. But watch them join in if Pitt ever earnestly tries to grow!

But yeah, also, our sport enjoyed a perfect storm of sorts that [may have] injected a bit of bipartisan (sports bipartisan NO POLITICS) unity, or at least appreciation, all circa 2012:

1. The Olympic cancellation threat. This united the Wrestling Community in huge force. With a notable exception of the 2012 NWCA Coaches Meeting while Cael & Brands were in London, but NO POLITICS NOT EVEN WRESTLING POLITICS

2. Wrestlers began practicing Social Media. Jordan Burroughs led this charge, but Taylor & Dake supported it well. Hell, Ramos & Askren beefin supported it. And all the youngsters got to get way more #content from their favorite wrestlers. Delivered in real time. Big boon!

3. Burroughs terrorizing International competition. This goes with #2, cuz Burroughs named his twitter handle @allIseeisgold and a bunch of us were like, really? Come on dude. Until he went out and saw Gold. And again. And then a little Bronze. And then Gold again. He helped make it easy to drop the college partisanship when these guys advance to the Senior level. I never watched Jordan Burroughs after graduation and saw Nebraska. All I saw was Gold. Well, and a Leader, and a Teacher, and Man, who keeps it real. All. The. Time. Like when all he saw was losses.

Hey, so here we are. This week I listened to the Bloodround & The Inside Trip (yes, their acronym = TIT) podcasts hosted by a couple Michigan & Ohio State bros, respectively, and all I kept thinking was 'damn, I wish I had been in Bloomington with them!' I've never met any of those guys! But such is my wrestling fandom.

It's awesome.

Nolf slips and falls on one of David Taylor's contact lenses, lost during the 2012 NCAA tournament, and bleeds profusely. Trainers mummify Nolf but the procedure takes a half hour and significantly reduces Nolf's flexibility, allowing Joe Smith the opportunity to get in on Nolf's legs in overtime for the decisive takedown.

For me, it was "Failure is not an option-it is a reality. Get your ass up and work harder, do it better, don't make the same mistake, and accept success until the next failure with dignity." Good advice in every facet of life.

Now that I'm a senior citizen I find that golf teaches me pretty much the same thing.

hater. :rolleyes:

A guy over on Hawkeye is going through every match using wrestlestat. Has gotten through 174. Team scores so far are (not including bonus):
OSU 91.5
PSU 70
Bucknuts 50

I am liking it so far!
I ran Snyder v. Medberry on Sunday. It said Medberry 6-5. While that's possible, I wouldn't take that bet with your money.

I can't even make people change weights, pull shirts, or stall out the first without shooting. Not much of a fan I guess:(

What have you done with Mike T? Y'all must have broken his little typing fingers!!

What have you done with Mike T? Y'all must have broken his little typing fingers!!
I bet he is lurking somewhere, just biding his time, waiting for the perfect opening. I thought for sure he would have gotten in for some fun when Guns were going off, but he must have been riding his horse into the sunset with some Iowa woman.

a. Mellowed me out

Sorry for using the "L" word, but I absolutely love this post. Anyone listen to Cael early in the season (Radio Show), and again this past week? Profound in his introspection of self...and his progression, maturing, as a coach. And it wasn't coachspeak ;).

What if a pro scout is lucky enough to watch the little baseball game the boys play? I can't see them passing on the opportunity to offer a couple multi million dollar contracts, and that would really hurt this years chances. Hard to keep that kind of talent hidden forever.

For me, it was "Failure is not an option-it is a reality. Get your ass up and work harder, do it better, don't make the same mistake, and accept success until the next failure with dignity." Good advice in every facet of life.
Wrestling taught me that my girlfriend didn't care if I won or lost. Unless I got pinned, then I wasn't allowed to talk to her until we got outside.

Ha. But watch them join in if Pitt ever earnestly tries to grow!

But yeah, also, our sport enjoyed a perfect storm of sorts that [may have] injected a bit of bipartisan (sports bipartisan NO POLITICS) unity, or at least appreciation, all circa 2012:

1. The Olympic cancellation threat. This united the Wrestling Community in huge force. With a notable exception of the 2012 NWCA Coaches Meeting while Cael & Brands were in London, but NO POLITICS NOT EVEN WRESTLING POLITICS

2. Wrestlers began practicing Social Media. Jordan Burroughs led this charge, but Taylor & Dake supported it well. Hell, Ramos & Askren beefin supported it. And all the youngsters got to get way more #content from their favorite wrestlers. Delivered in real time. Big boon!

3. Burroughs terrorizing International competition. This goes with #2, cuz Burroughs named his twitter handle @allIseeisgold and a bunch of us were like, really? Come on dude. Until he went out and saw Gold. And again. And then a little Bronze. And then Gold again. He helped make it easy to drop the college partisanship when these guys advance to the Senior level. I never watched Jordan Burroughs after graduation and saw Nebraska. All I saw was Gold. Well, and a Leader, and a Teacher, and Man, who keeps it real. All. The. Time. Like when all he saw was losses.

Hey, so here we are. This week I listened to the Bloodround & The Inside Trip (yes, their acronym = TIT) podcasts hosted by a couple Michigan & Ohio State bros, respectively, and all I kept thinking was 'damn, I wish I had been in Bloomington with them!' I've never met any of those guys! But such is my wrestling fandom.

It's awesome.
Love wrestling, wrestling fans and talking wrestling. I guess now I am rooting against Terry Brands getting the Pitt job. I would hate to ever be in a position that I would respect, like or appreciate a Pitt fan.;)

I bet he is lurking somewhere, just biding his time, waiting for the perfect opening. I thought for sure he would have gotten in for some fun when Guns were going off, but he must have been riding his horse into the sunset with some Iowa woman.

Lurking and biding his time as in Voldemort?

Wrestling fans are the best, for the most part. There are exceptions, but they prove the rule.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Still don't see PSU not winning. Points get diluted at NCAAs...I just don't think tOSU will keep that pace and OSU doesn't have enough studs in the stables. Now, had DRinger had one more year, I would go with OSU if Suriano couldn't go.

Still don't see PSU not winning. Points get diluted at NCAAs...I just don't think tOSU will keep that pace and OSU doesn't have enough studs in the stables. Now, had DRinger had one more year, I would go with OSU if Suriano couldn't go.

Sound logic Az. Knew there was a reason I liked you.

I was wrong about B1Gs though...thought you guys would pull off the comeback ;)
I thought so too. Cory maintains his top position control for less than a second longer and I believe he wins in OT. Mark slides his hips on top of Jordan a spilt second quicker and Mark wins a B10 title.

Less than 2 seconds is the difference between the comeback being short compared to complete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT