ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ferentz

00southpaw

Sep 17, 2018
I know 2021 was a tough pill to swallow based upon how Iowa fans acted as well as their coaching staff. I was surprised Coach Ferentz made the "smelled a rat" comment. For those reasons alone I was thrilled we pulverized them on national TV. However, I just watched his Wednesday conference, and it's so hard to not like the guy. I'm going to give him a pass on his "rat" comment and chalk it up to being caught up in his emotion of being stunned by beating us.
I like him. He seems like a great person. I will continue my disdain for many of their fans, and forever cherish humiliating them 31 - 0, but Coach Ferentz is all good in my book.

Reactions: blair10
It's great for college football that there are still programs committed to playing football the way it was played 30 or 40 years ago. I'm glad Penn State is not one of those programs, but as long as Iowa wants to continue being kind of a museum of football offense under the Ferentz family, it's fine with me.

I don't really care but I understand why Iowa hasn't fired Ferentz. It isn't clear they would be successful playing 21st-century football. They probably couldn't recruit the athletes necessary to do it. Wisconsin under Chryst tried to get away from playing Wisconsin football and it didn't work out for them. You gotta do what you can be successful at.

On the other side of the coin, Northwestern was successful, beginning under Barnett but continuing for 15 years or so, with a West Coast passing/possession game. They were able to recruit highly mobile quarterbacks and pesky receivers and small but quick running backs. Fitzgerald thought he could change that and turn NW into more of a pro-style offense with big, tall relatively immobile pocket quarterbacks. But NW couldn't recruit the linemen to pull it off. Fitz ended up destroying what Barnett and Randy Walker built.

Reactions: m3driver
Ferentz is originally from Upper St. Clair and played for Joe Moore (Moore would ultimately coach for ND and Cathedral Prep in Erie - Moore is recognized as perhaps the GOAT of OL Coaches).
Yes. Moore was great. Less is Ferentz. He is a true yawner.

I know 2021 was a tough pill to swallow based upon how Iowa fans acted as well as their coaching staff. I was surprised Coach Ferentz made the "smelled a rat" comment. For those reasons alone I was thrilled we pulverized them on national TV. However, I just watched his Wednesday conference, and it's so hard to not like the guy. I'm going to give him a pass on his "rat" comment and chalk it up to being caught up in his emotion of being stunned by beating us.
I like him. He seems like a great person. I will continue my disdain for many of their fans, and forever cherish humiliating them 31 - 0, but Coach Ferentz is all good in my book.
I think he is kind of a scumbag between the racism stuff from a few years ago and the recent gambling stuff, since the buck ultimately stops with the head coach. Not sure how they are academically, but otherwise he is just an average guy running an average program.

I think he is kind of a scumbag between the racism stuff from a few years ago and the recent gambling stuff, since the buck ultimately stops with the head coach. Not sure how they are academically, but otherwise he is just an average guy running an average program.
Don't forget the strength conditioning scandal too. Generally I appreciate the old school coaches, but as his sun sets, guys like Deion are rising. Even in Iowa they won't accept offensive futility in favor of "tradition"'much longer. If he has to fire his son he may well quit. We shall see...

Remember like 25 years ago Ferentz was the young up and comer, smart coach from Pittsburgh. Got some PA kids to go to Iowa then beat us in our dark years. People yearned for him to take over from Joe (as in right after he beat us) given his PA roots, etc.

IMHO he is the most likable of the B1G coaches since the NW coach got scapegoated by his alma mater.
Rhule? Allen is pretty good but yes compared to Harbaugh, Day, Bielema. Fleck, Tucker (LOL!), Locksley not saying that much. Fickell seems like a decent guy. Have no idea about the Purdue guy.

IMHO he is the most likable of the B1G coaches since the NW coach got scapegoated by his alma mater.
It's unfortunate, but as we all know, coaches get scapegoated quite a bit. I refuse to believe Coach Ferentz is a racist or hires anyone he knows is a racist. I don't believe he knew kids were gambling. All things point to him being a great person,...especially a great Dad. 😉

Fans are what they are. The words spoken by a veteran coach like Kirk long after the contest was over, were inexcusable. His special teams coach should have served a 1 game suspension. Coach Ferentz received a well earned dose of karma.

Rhule? Allen is pretty good but yes compared to Harbaugh, Day, Bielema. Fleck, Tucker (LOL!), Locksley not saying that much. Fickell seems like a decent guy. Have no idea about the Purdue guy.
Is Rhule likeable? With Fitz gone Ferentz probably does win that contest.

Remember like 25 years ago Ferentz was the young up and comer, smart coach from Pittsburgh. Got some PA kids to go to Iowa then beat us in our dark years. People yearned for him to take over from Joe (as in right after he beat us) given his PA roots, etc.
He beat us because Joe insisted all passes be outside the hashmarks, almost never over the middle. He gave them 2 extra defenders, the side lines.

Reactions: Cambria Lion
Not in mine. His comment was inexcusable and his laughing at one of his assistant coaches flopping on the ground was worse.

Ferentz is originally from Upper St. Clair and played for Joe Moore (Moore would ultimately coach for ND and Cathedral Prep in Erie - Moore is recognized as perhaps the GOAT of OL Coaches).
So your saying that Joe Moore was the coach at USC before Render? And Ferentz didn't play for Render?

My oldest son played for Render who is 4th I believe on the WPIAL wins list with 406.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT