ADVERTISEMENT

322 is a challange

I dont know if it's everywhere but they dont teach those type of things in Drivers Ed anymore. They dont teach it as a class in school either from what I see. I regularly see a 'drivers ed teacher' driving down rt 100 here in MD going 45 in the left lane and not using turn signals.
Yep. We should have a poll on what state’s drivers are least likely to get back into the right lane after passing a vehicle. I am thinking about getting that new bumper sticker that’s out. You put it on the drivers side rear bumper ......IF YOURE READING THIS - YOURE THE IDIOT I JUST PASSED ON THE RIGHT. :mad:

Reactions: bison13
They don’t teach people that you dim your lights as a courtesy anymore either apparently.

Total aside, but bought a new Subaru Outback last week and it has automatic high beams. So you just always have the high beams set to on and it automatically lowers them when necessary. Works pretty well. A neat feature I never even knew existed.

Yep. We should have a poll on what state’s drivers are least likely to get back into the right lane after passing a vehicle. I am thinking about getting that new bumper sticker that’s out. You put it on the drivers side rear bumper ......IF YOURE READING THIS - YOURE THE IDIOT I JUST PASSED ON THE RIGHT. :mad:

Florida would win hands down... Never have I been in a state where so many people drive 50-55mph in the left lane where posted speed limit is 70mph ... The elderly dont seem to care and the people from central and south america look petrified to be behind the wheel. I have been in almost all 50 states and FL is by far the worst. I love the people down here with their cell phone up to their ear doing 50 mph in the left lane at rush hour oblivious to the 2 miles of cars stacked up behind them

Total aside, but bought a new Subaru Outback last week and it has automatic high beams. So you just always have the high beams set to on and it automatically lowers them when necessary. Works pretty well. A neat feature I never even knew existed.

I bet there are a lot of posters this board that probably know this but I thought, as a kid, I remember a car that did have auto dimmers. It was another "light" looking thing beside the actual headlight.

If cars have "Lane Assists" I don't see why they can't have auto dimmers as well.

Or not to tailgate. It is unbelievable at times.

I've driven a lot of places but I've never scene a group or area that tailgates worse than, Shippensburg, Newburg, Chambersburg, Roxbury area. Its like a freaking mindset with those people.

Yeah it'll still back up just due to people being clueless on how to merge. At least the death trap of Potters Mills won't amplify it anymore.

Give you 8 to 5 that it will be worst. Traffic Circles (Roundabouts) are notorious death traps.

Florida would win hands down... Never have I been in a state where so many people drive 50-55mph in the left lane where posted speed limit is 70mph ... The elderly dont seem to care and the people from central and south america look petrified to be behind the wheel. I have been in almost all 50 states and FL is by far the worst. I love the people down here with their cell phone up to their ear doing 50 mph in the left lane at rush hour oblivious to the 2 miles of cars stacked up behind them
Some will say they are entitled to do so....

Last edited:
They don’t teach people that you dim your lights as a courtesy anymore either apparently.

Not just a courtesy, the law says you have to.

§ 4306. Use of multiple-beam road lighting equipment.

(a) Approaching an oncoming vehicle.--Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the driver shall use the low beam of light.

Reactions: crayfish67
I've driven a lot of places but I've never scene a group or area that tailgates worse than, Shippensburg, Newburg, Chambersburg, Roxbury area. Its like a freaking mindset with those people.
And if your traveling from that area, you have to use I 81. That’s the worst.

Reactions: BBrown
Way too many trucks, only 2 lanes, and a speed limit that suddenly drops to 55 for no good reason.

No good reason besides all the people killed in accidents along that stretch because of all those trucks. My mom was almost killed there. A semi clipped her while passing her. She rolled my dads pickup. Ended up upside down along the side of the road after midnight. The semi kept going. Luckily someone else saw her and stopped to help her out.

Reactions: NedFromYork
They should want it because there is too much truck traffic on that two lane stretch. It freaks me out every single time I drive that stretch at night. Seems rather dangerous to me.[/

Let give some credit. Roundabouts do work in the US. Jersey has some and they seem to work well. There is a new one on 222 between Reading and Allentown. Seems to be working well.

Now on to where the four lanes narrow down to two. The big problem has always been from where Brownies Tavern sat tonpast the 144 interchange at Potters Mills. After you got past that , traffic. moves along. Same thing on the return trip The Potters Mills intersection and the narrow stretch past
Brownie’s created a major problem.

When I was working, we’re always tackled all problems by working on the vital few, and the trivial many took care of themselves. The State is working on the vital few. Dauphin, the Juniata narrows, Bypasses around Lewistown and State College, and now the Potters Mills interchange.

Since we're bitching, north atherton is now 25 mph from about beaver avenue until tgifridays on north atherton. Kids on bicycles pass you on the sidewalk now.

81 around Carlisle is a mess as well. Way too many trucks, only 2 lanes, and a speed limit that suddenly drops to 55 for no good reason.
We just returned from North Carolina. My wife commented how interesting it is that the vehicles there are not manufactured with turn signals. :rolleyes:

Reactions: LionJim and psu00
Some good sensible posts in this thread, and some clueless.
Good, safe, courteous driving is really really simple. Passing and getting back to the right lane, moving to left lane when there is merge from right, not tailgating, using zipper merge, use of turn signals at ALL times before actually making a move, turning your head an inch to check blind spot, etc etc.
Again all really easy stuff, the issue is this actually takes a little effort, and that is the problem, a little effort is just too much for so many.....

A "shitty drivers" thread would likely become an all time winner for most posts. Hell, "shitty Maryland drivers" would give it the ol' college try.

It appears most American drivers can't grasp the simple "zipper technique" when reaching a merge point. Roundabouts are way, way, way too complex for these people.

Yeah, apparently Americans don't get the concept of allowing people to merge in. Driving isn't NASCAR, you don't "win" by denying someone entry.

Everybody just relaxes, the traffic flows and everybody gets where they're going a lot faster than if they have to stop every 500 feet for a traffic light. At least that's how it works in Europe. Here in the U.S., people waste quite literally years of their lives at traffic lights. Which aggravates teh problem of people watching videos and playing games on their phone. So much driving in this country isn't actually driving, it's just waiting.

Last edited:
I don't know why Americans can't handle roundabouts. Maybe because merging requires too much intellectual exercise. Or maybe because they don't want to be forced to look up from their phones.

But roundabouts are MUCH safer than conventional traffic signals because you don't get head-on collisions, you don't get high-speed rear-end crashes, you don't have to do left turns across incoming traffic. When people screw up, it's fender benders, no injuries. A whole lot better than getting t-boned at 50 mph by some teenager playing Candy Crush.

Also roundabouts save a lot of time because you slow down to enter the circle but you don't usually have to stop. Let alone wait 2 minutes for a typical American 4 cycle traffic light.

If you drive in France, you see how much easier it is to travel with modern road design (the Europeans are 20 years ahead of us in this area). Driving is such a pleasure in the countryside because you can go hours driving through villages and towns without having to stop at a red light.

Hey man we have had them in Jersey for years. No big deal until
Someone from out of state (looking at you Pa drivers) tries to navigate them.

They did some of them in highly congested areas and created fly overs and intersections. But many still exist.

Hey man we have had them in Jersey for years. No big deal until
Someone from out of state (looking at you Pa drivers) tries to navigate them.

They did some of them in highly congested areas and created fly overs and intersections. But many still exist.

I navigate a few of them on my way to see my Jersey girl and I must admit that some of my fellow Pennsylvanians struggle wth them. I gave her white knuckles the first time she witnessed my traffic circle technique.

How about the people who are merging onto a multi-lane road, and insist on getting into the left lane as soon possible...yet drive slow once they get there.

Thank you. Roundabouts save lives. If they ever came to the US I've seen estimates that they'd save 10,000 lives a year and 10x that many serious injuries. They LOOK scary if you're not familiar but looks are deceiving.

It's red lights that are death traps. Because of red lights, people don't slow down and look both ways (as they should) when they enter an intersection -- most people actually speed up because they're trying to beat the light.

So with one driver speeding and not looking, all it takes is a second driver coming the other direction to make a left turn into his path -- or a driver at the cross street to miss the light -- and you have all the ingredients for a fatal or nearly fatal accident.

That scenario goes completely away with a roundabout. Driver 1 is forced to slow down and follow the rightward flow. Driver 2 making the left turn never crosses paths with driver 1. Driver 3 merges in either before or after Driver 1.

And for all drivers, the beauty is, they only have to look one direction -- left -- to avoid an accident. There are fewer ways to screw up. And if you do screw up, you don't have a high-speed head-on or t-bone accident, you have a glancing blow between two vehicles traveling the same direction at relatively low speed .So in most cases a fender bender.

I think people hate roundabouts because they force you to drive actively -- you have to slow down, you have to look, you have to steer and judge your merge into other vehices. And you have to trust drivers to some extent. But all those things help safety -- the paradox of traffic safety is what makes motorists uncomfortable usually improves safety by forcing people to slow down and pay attenition.

Whereas traffic lights turn people into bored, passive drivers, disengaged (i.e. on their phones) and driving too fast when they have the green light. When people aren't paying attention, that's when people get killed.

Last edited:
New Jersey has "jughandles" which i thought were fantastic for eliminating traffic lights and congestion. Rotaries/circles are different and i also think they work well in the right circumstances. I think people are conflating the two. Not sure what 322 is.

New Jersey has "jughandles" which i thought were fantastic for eliminating traffic lights and congestion. Rotaries/circles are different and i also think they work well in the right circumstances. I think people are conflating the two

Jersey has circles in many locations, as well as jughandles in many locations. I haven't seen anything in this thread that indicates a conflating of the two by a poster

New Jersey has "jughandles" which i thought were fantastic for eliminating traffic lights and congestion. Rotaries/circles are different and i also think they work well in the right circumstances. I think people are conflating the two. Not sure what 322 is.

New Jersey does a great job I think of moving vehicles through a very old road network. They kind of had to or, given the population density, they'd just have gridlock 7 days a week. 4 cycle red lights with full left turn signals both directions means you are cutting a highway's capacity by up to 75%. If you are traveling straight, it means you only get a green light for 1 of the 4 cycles.

With jughandles you eliminate the left turn signal so a straight-ahead driver gets 1 of the 2 cycles. Therefore the highway capacity is much much higher than it is, say, in Pennsylvania where 4 cycle red lights are the norm.

Jughandles are also a lot safer because you don't have cars having to make left turns across opposing traffic of the primary highway.

Thanks for that, I've seen these in France. They take some getting used to because the lanes reverse direction on the secondary road on the bridge. But it saves everybody a lot of time vs. a conventional intersection, and they are safe.

There's one near me. It was a little odd driving through it the first time, but it does make a lot of sense.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I was taught that if you can see the rear lights of the car in front of you, then turn off your high beams. Apparently they don't teach that anymore either.

Yes 1000%. It’s maddening and starts for me normally in North Carolina. NC, SC, people have no care about sitting in the left lane. Georgia is better because it’s three lanes mostly. But then FL starts the parade again.

This thread should be re-titled to 322 is a nightmare!! I have been hearing this morning that is taking people 2 hours to get from Lewistown to State College these past couple of days.

I thought same thing but then I looked it up. The roundabout looks like it will be after you get off the new interchange and not directly on 322

http://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffi...Potters_Mills_Gap_Transportation_Project.aspx

However, with the 4 lanes going back down to 2 lanes right after the new interchange, I suspect it will still get backed up until they make it 4 lanes all the way into Boalsburg to connect with the existing 4 lanes.

Many of us will be dead before its 4 lanes all the way to Boalsburg. :rolleyes:;)

As long as the lane restrictions are gone by football season. Is that likely?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT