ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Horwath undeniably struggled and didn't get good results as a redshirt, but that's not unheard of, either. He was a pretty high recruit. I doubt they're going to recruit over him after one struggling season as a redshirt, unless maybe it's someone who is a finals contender (no idea who, though).
He wasn't THAT good of a recruit. I doubt they'd pass on a clear upgrade if they have the opportunity.

I wouldn't throw a lot of money at 125. Almost everyone is back, and after Figs and Ayala, it's pretty much a coin flip who reaches AA.
But if Noto were graduating and wanted to do a grad transfer, you'd take him, right?

No idea if he would leave Lock Haven. Just that he's a JR and finished 4th and 3rd the last 2 years. If you were looking at a 125 import, he'd check the boxes.

But if Noto were graduating and wanted to do a grad transfer, you'd take him, right?

No idea if he would leave Lock Haven. Just that he's a JR and finished 4th and 3rd the last 2 years. If you were looking at a 125 import, he'd check the boxes.

Yeah, he would be a better investment than DeAugutino was.

Swamp monster made a ton of money on the backside of the 2022 bracket. Never came close to placing again. Only won 2 NCAA tournament matches the rest of his career lol.
Swamp monster, LOL. I pictured D'Augestino as a guy just back from a 5 year hermit-like existence in the remote Canadian wilderness. Same basic idea, I guess, but deep woods versus a swamp.

Swamp monster made a ton of money on the backside of the 2022 bracket. Never came close to placing again. Only won 2 NCAA tournament matches the rest of his career lol.
Swamp monster, lol.

I was thinking Adrian Pimento from Brooklyn 99.

tumblr_os4bjfktZa1w4nkyqo3_400.gif

Bring in Noto and have the BigTen Champ/#1 NCAA seed and #1 overall recruit/U17 World Champ backing up on redshirt, that seems reasonable, lol. Crazy thing is, it's not beyond the realm of possibilities.

I had been calling for Noto for a couple of years. He was my top portal pick but, now, with what we have in house and on the way it makes much less sense for both sides.

Crookham? ;-). Nah, give me some Cardinas, and assuming Kerk comes back we might have a 2026 need at heavy, otherwise it seems for a couple of years we are going to see the Portal door swing the other way.

PSU should ship guys up to Lock Haven for their first two yrs if they don’t make it and bring em back in as needed…
I was thinking the same thing except that PSU would upgrade a branch campus to D-1 wrestling. It wouldn’t look so god awful as abusing poor Lock Haven.

It seems like lately some of these portal guys already know where they are going even before they announce they're even in the portal. Hamiti was in the portal for about a day wasn't he?

Difficult to envision a transfer anywhere except 285, and that’s only if Kerkvliet isn’t returning.

Reactions: creamery freak
Cochran IMO is a better heavyweight than 197. Think it was telling he beat Yara but wasn’t competitive with Beard and Cardenas.

When a wrestler enters the portal with a 'do not contact' request, I can't help but suspect there's been some skulduggery.
Only if it’s settled immediately. If someone goes in and plans to reach out to a few specific schools and doesn’t want 50 reaching out to him, that’s fine.

At least initially, it sounds like Max Dean walked-on, if you are Cael, how do you say no to that?

Note how there have no reports of any PSU guys entering the portal
In time it is inevitable.

I don't think that Grey & Redshirts can address all of the overlap that is on the horizon. I am sure that Cael is up front with all of our kids, and quite honestly the combination of the Portal and NIL may actually drive up the market price of some hammers in our room, when after a redshirt year they see the writing is on the wall.

The Gibson brothers are just one example where the chances of a multi year starter career seem to be quite unlikely. Maybe they stay, maybe not, but my guess is they collect a very minor % of the 9.9 if any, and NIL for them at PSU is probably limited as well. There are lot of programs that could present a pretty attractive package to them.

I really like the depth this program is building and this year was a glowing example of the benefits. Nonetheless, I also like the idea that those who don't make it to the top level in our program can get a second chance at a solid career somewhere.

Reactions: mcpat
In time it is inevitable.

I don't think that Grey & Redshirts can address all of the overlap that is on the horizon. I am sure that Cael is up front with all of our kids, and quite honestly the combination of the Portal and NIL may actually drive up the market price of some hammers in our room, when after a redshirt year they see the writing is on the wall.

The Gibson brothers are just one example where the chances of a multi year starter career seem to be quite unlikely. Maybe they stay, maybe not, but my guess is they collect a very minor % of the 9.9 if any, and NIL for them at PSU is probably limited as well. There are lot of programs that could present a pretty attractive package to them.

I really like the depth this program is building and this year was a glowing example of the benefits. Nonetheless, I also like the idea that those who don't make it to the top level in our program can get a second chance at a solid career somewhere.
With the Gibsons, when they announced they were switching their commitment to Penn State, I got the impression that it was in large part because they wanted to be at Penn State regardless of wrestling, so they may be content to be room guys if that's how it plays out. Regardless, Erik Gibson has to see the writing on the wall already. He has Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo, Sealey, Duke, Ryder, Henckel, and Asher either in the room with multiple years of eligibility left or coming in the next two years. There will be a lot of national championships coming out of that group, and it would be hard for anyone to win a spot there. For Mason, he'll have a year to figure out whether he can beat Nagao, Lilledahl, Davis, Evans, etc. If he appears to be clearly behind, then it's going to be a tough road to get a starting spot, but we'll see, I guess.

Regardless, there definitely will be portals out. There will be guys who are potential AAs caught up in the numbers who will want to seek a chance for themselves elsewhere. Barraclough seems like a prime example this year. There will be at least a couple others from that list of upper middleweights.

Reactions: hlstone
Why would they? It’s a different breed in the PSU room…
Typically because there's a logjam at a weight and a guy on the bench could start and win elsewhere, like Michael Beard. You can see that being possibly the case now at 149, where David Evans showed that he'd jumped levels but is nevertheless behind two AAs in Kasak and Van Ness at 149, and Levi if he bumps up.

There's also a potential logjam at 125 or 133 if Lilledahl can go right away.

Last edited:
Re: Willie’s post… if there has been talk of someone, then I assume it is someone wrestling freestyle right now and wanting that coaching until his freestyle season is over this year. In other words, most likely Facundo or Barraclough, or possibly Steen or Evans, as the latter two are signed up for the last chance qualifier. (Barraclough also is signed up for last chance.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT