ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Dean Hamiti in the portal
Wow. I can hear GIA heads exploding from here. For one thing, they've already got a log jam at 165 with Caliendo and PK, and 174 blocked with Gabe, but on the other hand, every guy who hits the portal is bound for Iowa until he isn't. Would they do a double recruiting over both PK and Caliendo?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Hamiti will fill one of many holes in UM's lineup. They lose 7 starters (DeAugustino @ 125, Gomez @ 149, Lewan @ 157, Amine @ 165, Griffin @ 174, Striggow @ 197, and Davison @ 285).
Amine has another year (remarkably), and Mantanona looked really good in limited action, so 165/174 is probably down at the bottom of their list of needs.

Reactions: BruceK-PSU83
Hamiti will fill one of many holes in UM's lineup. They lose 7 starters (DeAugustino @ 125, Gomez @ 149, Lewan @ 157, Amine @ 165, Griffin @ 174, Striggow @ 197, and Davison @ 285).
Not sure Michigan really has a lot of lineup holes without digging thru their individual results.

They strategically imported 1-year guys in order to shirt their 2023 class, which was very good. Of that class, Lemley was the only one to not shirt. Ragusin was also going to shirt until Cannon got hurt.

Reactions: hlstone
Any idea what Cannon is going to do? He had 2! whole years left if he wants them but Ragusin should have 133 locked in at this point

Not sure Michigan really has a lot of lineup holes without digging thru their individual results.

They strategically imported 1-year guys in order to shirt their 2023 class, which was very good. Of that class, Lemley was the only one to not shirt. Ragusin was also going to shirt until Cannon got hurt.
sddefault.jpg

If it's Michigan, then 174. Amine has a year left. They don't have a good 174 backfill for Griffith unless Mantanona moves up, and he's the future 165 after Amine graduates.
Thanks. Another post had Amine gone, casting doubt on my belief he had a year left (good or bad). He had a weird year (similar but different from Nagao) making me wonder what was plaguing him. I didn’t get the sense everybody simply caught up. (And I sense Nagao could be back to top-4 next year)

Crazy to think for 2025 the Portal is almost an afterthought. I assume Kerk will stay, so there is only a 'slight' need at 197 if we want to shirt Marisola, Cockran has the smell of an AA from the glimpses we saw. If we get noone there is hardly an impact.

Cardinas is interesting, otherwise...yawn. what a great place to be. I prefer a home grown lineup as much as possible anyway.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
What’s with Michigan snapping up everyone in the portal each year? Do they have the corner on NIL money or something? Probably been discussed before but I missed it.

Sammy Alvarez and Connor McGonagle some other big names on the list. What happened to Alvarez? He was a young star then he couldn't make weight then he was kicked off the team then he couldn't win a spot at Ok St.

McGonagle seems like a good candidate for Iowa. They need a lightweight (either 133 or 125 if Ayala can't hold the weight).

Reactions: goldenanimal
What’s with Michigan snapping up everyone in the portal each year? Do they have the corner on NIL money or something? Probably been discussed before but I missed it.
Last year they had a large incoming freshman class and wanted to shirt them. Coincidentally a lot of 1-yr rentals became available.

This year they'll likely start several of those guys. 174 remains a need, so Hamiti makes sense.

Crazy to think for 2025 the Portal is almost an afterthought. I assume Kerk will stay, so there is only a 'slight' need at 197 if we want to shirt Marisola, Cockran has the smell of an AA from the glimpses we saw. If we get noone there is hardly an impact.

Cardinas is interesting, otherwise...yawn. what a great place to be. I prefer a home grown lineup as much as possible anyway.
If Kerk leaves, we know Cochran is a LOT better than the Rutgers AA 285.

Reactions: RB-Old
Last year they had a large incoming freshman class and wanted to shirt them. Coincidentally a lot of 1-yr rentals became available.

This year they'll likely start several of those guys. 174 remains a need, so Hamiti makes sense.
Mantanona needs to start next year, too. He was a high recruit (top 10 on Willie's big board) and looked pretty good as a redshirt. Bringing in Hamiti over Mantanona is risking losing him (and possibly his brother). My gut says Bormet is not willing to take that risk.

This will be the last year for super seniors. It gives Michigan boosters one more chance to throw money at second place.

Edit: it looks like 2026 will be the last year. A kid who entered 2021 still has a RS plus 4 more.

Last edited:
Cardenas makes by far the most sense. East Coast kid with 1 year left. Off seeds (removing seniors), here's Top 10 at 197 next year.

1. Beard
2. Cardenas
3. Glazier
4. Buchanan
5. Little
6. Allred
7. Smith
8. Elam
9. Hopkins
10. Poznanski
Cardenas is my guess.

Current scuttlebutt out of Lock Haven is that Grace Stem may be looking to transfer out of the women’s program

Cardenas is my guess.
If he wants PSU, Cardenas is the best option. He's already said he's leaving Cornell.

Buchanan is also a JR and woukd make sense, though there's no indication of him wanting to leave Oklahoma.

Braunagel is shirting and should be top 10. He also has 1 year left. Also no indication of him leaving Illinois.

The rest aren't happening for various reasons -- not leaving, not upgrades, and/or too many years remaining and would sit after Mirasola shirts.

"Nobody" is also a viable option.

If he wants PSU, Cardenas is the best option. He's already said he's leaving Cornell.

Buchanan is also a JR and woukd make sense, though there's no indication of him wanting to leave Oklahoma.

Braunagel is shirting and should be top 10. He also has 1 year left. Also no indication of him leaving Illinois.

The rest aren't happening for various reasons -- not leaving, not upgrades, and/or too many years remaining and would sit after Mirasola shirts.

"Nobody" is also a viable option.
Agreed. I think it's Cardenas if he seeks out PSU the way Dean did, or it's Cochran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT