ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Wow. I can hear GIA heads exploding from here. For one thing, they've already got a log jam at 165 with Caliendo and PK, and 174 blocked with Gabe, but on the other hand, every guy who hits the portal is bound for Iowa until he isn't. Would they do a double recruiting over both PK and Caliendo?
Haven't seen any of this. People are excited about Gabe.

Mantanona needs to start next year, too. He was a high recruit (top 10 on Willie's big board) and looked pretty good as a redshirt. Bringing in Hamiti over Mantanona is risking losing him (and possibly his brother). My gut says Bormet is not willing to take that risk.
Hamiti is likely going 174.

Hamiti is likely going 174.
Right. With Amine back at 165, Mantanona should be 174 for them next year. My gut feeling is that Bormet is not going to do anything to risk losing Mantanona long term (and possibly his brother, too) by recruiting Hamiti over him for a one year rental.We'll see, I guess.

So if PSU guys start taking coaching jobs hiw does that impact PSU recruiting.

I think you would be silly to say it wouldn't have an impact. Would that put some pressure on the brake pedal of a dynasty? 🤔

I think you would be silly to say it wouldn't have an impact. Would that put some pressure on the brake pedal of a dynasty? 🤔
We'll still get our share. Ryan and Brands would be harder hit.

Won't affect Rutgers either, they'll still be elite.

Brands is gonna have a hard time recruiting wherever he lands after DT takes his job, you're right.

Reactions: slaterun

It will have an effect for sure, especially if those guys start having some success in getting the best results out of every level of wrestler the way Cael has, but it's going to be a long ramp. There are no brakes on the dynasty in the immediate future since PSU just set a points and margin of victory record and have the #1 recruiting class next year (with a similar margin of victory in recruiting for this class...), and some studs in Desmond and Duke and Henckel lined up for the 2025 class already as well.

Michigan's freshman class hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

Lemley had a nice season (4th at BIGS, 1-2 at NCAAs). Mantanona went 14-7 in a RS year; his best win was over Fish. After that, Horwath (2-6), Ramsey (0-2), Gilcher (7-7), Owens (8-4), Gulacha (0-0), Walters (0-0).

Gulacha is from Canada; I'm surprised they didn't try to get him folk experience at a few tourneys. Walters was a top-25 recruit; I'm not sure why he didn't wrestle.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Lemley had a nice season (4th at BIGS, 1-2 at NCAAs). Mantanona went 14-7 in a RS year; his best win was over Fish. After that, Horwath (2-2), Ramsey (0-2), Gilcher (7-7), Owens (8-4), Gulacha (0-0), Walters (0-0).

Gulacha is from Canada; I'm surprised they didn't try to get him folk experience at a few tourneys. Walters was a top-25 recruit; I'm not sure why he didn't wrestle.
Mantanona's record wasn't sparkling, but he did look good and pass the eye test in the couple matches I actually saw him wrestle. Obviously, Lemley was very good, but I don't know what happened to the others.

Reactions: jack66

Lemley had a nice season (4th at BIGS, 1-2 at NCAAs). Mantanona went 14-7 in a RS year; his best win was over Fish. After that, Horwath (2-2), Ramsey (0-2), Gilcher (7-7), Owens (8-4), Gulacha (0-0), Walters (0-0).

That's a surprisingly low match count for most of them. Wondering if there were injuries or a focus on freestyle, or something else.

Reactions: jack66

Another point in the Cael can’t coach argument…Horwath beat Davis multiple times in high school and Davis never was able to notch a win against him. Horwath was the higher ranked recruit as well. In their freshman seasons Horwath goes 2-2 and doesn’t beat out DeAugustino while Davis gets the number 1 seed at the national tournament and beats DeAugustino multiple times. But Cael can’t coach 🤣

Another point in the Cael can’t coach argument…Horwath beat Davis multiple times in high school and Davis never was able to notch a win against him. Horwath was the higher ranked recruit as well. In their freshman seasons Horwath goes 2-2 and doesn’t beat out DeAugustino while Davis gets the number 1 seed at the national tournament and beats DeAugustino multiple times. But Cael can’t coach 🤣

Horwath was 2-6. I made a typo in my original post, but that doesn't change your point.

Reactions: danoftw and zzs006

Lemley had a nice season (4th at BIGS, 1-2 at NCAAs). Mantanona went 14-7 in a RS year; his best win was over Fish. After that, Horwath (2-6), Ramsey (0-2), Gilcher (7-7), Owens (8-4), Gulacha (0-0), Walters (0-0).

That Horwath record is wild and it's not like he was wrestling a tough schedule. Didn't he use to beat Davis consistently?

Reactions: goldenanimal
Iowa? Or does GIA force their best wrestler down to 157?
GIA is split on whether to force PK or Caliendo to starve themselves down to 157, but I don't really see either one making it comfortably, so 157 is probably a need for them. Iowa is in a weird spot where they have a bunch of holes in their lineup, but 4 of their 5 best guys (along with Ayala) are all concentrated at 165 & 174 (Caliendo, PK, Gabe, and Angelo). Obviously, Angelo can RS with the intention of growing into 184, but Gabe has been pretty steadfast that he is a lifetime 174, and he's the best of the bunch, so he will be the one to dictate to the others where he's wrestling and if it's 174 for him, they are left with two AA-caliber guys with multiple years of eligibility for one spot at 165.

I'm not sure "force" would be the right word. I have no inside info, but some say Caliendo's been a 157 his whole career, but wrestled up because of Franek. I know he certified at 157 this year. It could be his natural weight class.

Is he that much better than what they've got? 8th, 5th, 7th at BIGS so far.

Personally, I like Cobe. He offers something most other Hawks don't, but many GIA regulars seem to be leaning toward the Okie St model. They would have him suck down to 149.

Last edited:
I'm not sure "force" would be the right word. I have no inside info, but some say Caliendo's been a 157 his whole career, but wrestled up because of Franek. I know he certified at 157 this year. It could be his natural weight class.
Count me in the “if it ain’t broke” group on this one. Saldate would be another infusion of an active wrestler that your room could use. Callie, Saldate and Kennedy would be battles. Gabe is free to win what he can.

Interesting, I did not know that. I thought Caliendo looked great this year against everyone not named Mesenbrink or Carr. He threatened KOT last week for 3rd.

If Caliendo's natural weight is really 157 I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the hunt for high podium spot next year and maybe even in the finals.

Reactions: js8793
Interesting, I did not know that. I thought Caliendo looked great this year against everyone not named Mesenbrink or Carr. He threatened KOT last week for 3rd.

If Caliendo's natural weight is really 157 I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the hunt for high podium spot next year and maybe even in the finals.
He'll be in the hunt for the finals at whatever weight he wrestles with Carr and O'Toole (and maybe even Hamiti) moving out of 165. He's really really good and would be more highly regarded if he wasn't in such a monster weight.

So I guess this discussion means Franek is done tho I thought he had another year.
But whats the fuss about Saldate; 25-6 and seeded 24th; lost 1st match to Lewan, and lost next match to 25th seed Chumbly - or do I have my dance card filled out wrong.

Reactions: ikS and GOLDBANGER
So I guess this discussion means Franek is done tho I thought he had another year.
But whats the fuss about Saldate; 25-6 and seeded 24th; lost 1st match to Lewan, and lost next match to 25th seed Chumbly - or do I have my dance card filled out wrong.
I don't know if it's a 'fuss', merely an observation that Saldate is in the portal. If we're looking at data, he also pinned Chumbley at B1Gs and was a literal second away from beating the national champ in a dual. He'd be a really nice pick up for someone.

Saldate was R12 last year but then 0-2 this year. Also took Levi to OT this year and has beaten Lewan and Coleman.

That's the book on him -- talented but inconsistent. He should be more consistent in a better room, and that might be enough to put him on the podium, but he's unlikely to be a high AA.

But should be a good pickup for somebody.

Franek is out of eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT