ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

First off JB is a USA wrestling legend but after comments made @ NCAA and then with Mitch sorry you walk into the terrordome you may not have friends

Hawkeye fans so happy for Spencer but I truly feel if the 4 NLWC loss and Spencer won they would be happier than spencer taking silver and the 4 NLWC wrestlers won Olympic gold.

I used to think Greco wrestlers let it fly but it seems like a very boring discipline

AB is the next Snyder.

snyder next topic dude is a beast.

last comment hopefully we see Carter @ 197 next year.

A nice balanced article - almost like NPR or CNN - maybe I dislike Nebby more than Iowa. What is up with these hayseed schools?

The clown who wrote this didn’t even know the right name of the venue? Maybe the crowd in Rec was booing him too.

A nice balanced article - almost like NPR or CNN - maybe I dislike Nebby more than Iowa. What is up with these hayseed schools?

"I've represented the USA at 74kg, with the utmost class, respect, and dominance since 2011. Shame on anyone who rooted against me today." - Jordan Burroughs, 2015

Unfortunately, that quote pretty much sums up the entire situation...you better kiss the ring.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
"I've represented the USA at 74kg, with the utmost class, respect, and dominance since 2011. Shame on anyone who rooted against me today." - Jordan Burroughs, 2015

Unfortunately, that quote pretty much sums up the entire situation...you better kiss the ring.
Heard Dake, at his post match presser, make a remark about Nolf hurting his knee in rd 1 and he wasn’t going at it in rd 2. Thought that was a nice shot at JB for his Carter remarks.

The one thing that is very apparent is that the NLWC room is very tight. Mess with one guy and you are messing with them all which I don’t think you want to do.

Where was all the fuss when Burroughs was booed for his behavior during the WTT finals against Marstellar last year in Newark, NEW JERSEY? His home state, btw.

Heard Dake, at his post match presser, make a remark about Nolf hurting his knee in rd 1 and he wasn’t going at it in rd 2. Thought that was a nice shot at JB for his Carter remarks.

The one thing that is very apparent is that the NLWC room is very tight. Mess with one guy and you are messing with them all which I don’t think you want to do.
I caught that too and knew right away that was pretty awesome of Kyle having his teammates back, and at the same time taking a shot and direct hit on asshole JB, without ever raising a suspicion or being obvious. Makes me like and respect Kyle even more. I am hoping and praying that Kyle ends this assholes career next year.

I can't find the video and all the broadcasts cut off the part when JB shoves MM after the match about the time MM was shaking hands with coaches and judges and about to walk off the mat. JB was trying to explain something to Mitchell and he just didn't care enough listen so JB gave him a little shove. That's when we really started to boo. Anyone have that small bit of video?

I caught that too and knew right away that was pretty awesome of Kyle having his teammates back, and at the same time taking a shot and direct hit on asshole JB, without ever raising a suspicion or being obvious. Makes me like and respect Kyle even more. I am hoping and praying that Kyle ends this assholes career next year.
JB was a freaking great wrestler and is still pretty darn good, but he has nothing for Dake. Plus next year is world cup so if Dake chooses to compete some more I have to believe Nolf slides up a weight.. Assuming Dake gets his gold and decides to forego the 25 championships JB had nothing offensively to threaten Nolf with so he goes to 79kg and with AB at 86 I have to believe Hidley, Marsteller and Dieringer block his path there. There probably is no place for JB to go without younger, stronger better conditioned athletes await.

Reactions: Ski
Don't interrupt him. He is busy dragging his wife back to his cave.
That's stupid. A true, intelligent cave man makes her walk back to the cave herself. Then waits for her to cook, clean and do laundry before taking a minute or two to properly defile her.
Just saying.

I think this entire situation has been blown way out of proportion going all the way back to JB's NCAA comments and the responses to them. However, I'm glad to see the team stick together on this, and I'm disappointed with the media responses (especially the above posted article) of the incident at the trials and twisting of all of this. But what do you expect of the media today......no nuance, and definitely not truthful. They report what fits their narrative.

I do find it interesting that right after JB shoved MM's head, commenter Jim Scherr said Jordan "is better than that". I couldn't agree more! And Scherr is a decorated Nebraska wrestler, Olympian, and past US Olympic CEO.

I can't find the video and all the broadcasts cut off the part when JB shoves MM after the match about the time MM was shaking hands with coaches and judges and about to walk off the mat. JB was trying to explain something to Mitchell and he just didn't care enough listen so JB gave him a little shove. That's when we really started to boo. Anyone have that small bit of video?
Agree that’s what set it off.

So JB shoved him twice?? TV cut the 2nd one off.

So JB shoved him twice?? TV cut the 2nd one off.
Yes. The first was more aggressive but at least it was during the match in the heat of the moment. Everyone saw that one during the broadcast. The second wasn't as aggressive as the first. It was just a shove but it was completely unprovoked and unnecessary. The match was over.

Last edited:
Random thoughts:

I found it a fantastic event. My primary focus was Men's Free Style. I was very impressed with the quality of the WFS. Was my first real experience with GR, it was like baseball to me 90% boring but that 10% with some of those throws...pretty fun.

I liked the flow. Wrestlers entered one side and left the opposite (from my perspective). It built anticipation.

Aaron Brooks.

I wish Mark Hall got more of a send off. Took us a few seconds to realize it happened on our side. He deserved more.

The future is so bright. Loved seeing the HS kids and young Nittany Lions go with the very best. The fact that some of these kids made the team and get to train with the Champs, you can't buy that experience.

First off JB is a USA wrestling legend but after comments made @ NCAA and then with Mitch sorry you walk into the terrordome you may not have friends

Hawkeye fans so happy for Spencer but I truly feel if the 4 NLWC loss and Spencer won they would be happier than spencer taking silver and the 4 NLWC wrestlers won Olympic gold.

I used to think Greco wrestlers let it fly but it seems like a very boring discipline

AB is the next Snyder.

snyder next topic dude is a beast.

last comment hopefully we see Carter @ 197 next year.
It is such an amazing accomplishment that Snyder is on a 10-year run of representing the U.S. at the World Championships and Olympics, all while only being 28-years-old. So far he has won four gold, three silver and two bronze medals and will have a chance to add to his hardware in three months. And from what Kyle has said the last few years, I would not be at all surprised if he continues to compete through the 2028 Olympics, thus giving him the opportunity to match Bruce Baumgartner's freestyle record of medaling in four Olympic games. These are good times to be an American wrestling fan!

JB was a freaking great wrestler and is still pretty darn good, but he has nothing for Dake. Plus next year is world cup so if Dake chooses to compete some more I have to believe Nolf slides up a weight.. Assuming Dake gets his gold and decides to forego the 25 championships JB had nothing offensively to threaten Nolf with so he goes to 79kg and with AB at 86 I have to believe Hidley, Marsteller and Dieringer block his path there. There probably is no place for JB to go without younger, stronger better conditioned athletes await.
I think Carter could possibly be at 79kg also but that could change if he's moving up to 197 next year.

Carter should set up an exhibition match with JB. Sounds like a money maker to me.

No doubt that David elevated the program. Ed, Q, and Frank combined for 6 titles and 8 finals appearances. If those are role players ... Sounds more like a foundation to me.
Ok, I accept your conclusion. What's interesting is after the foundation, we have a foundation and empire. Penn State has been dominating college wrestling since 2011. The latest group just set new NCAA scoring records along with Penn State records. Do we call them the 2nd foundation? 🤔

Ok, I accept your conclusion. What's interesting is after the foundation, we have a foundation and empire. Penn State has been dominating college wrestling since 2011. The latest group just set new NCAA scoring records along with Penn State records. Do we call them the 2nd foundation? 🤔
I think it's going to get interesting in a couple years with the Buckeyes. They're putting together some excellent classes. Should add to the fun.

Reactions: creamery freak
If Michigan would let go of KJ they might actually have a shot...
The staff has obviously done a great job developing Parris, but they need to do better. Relying on the portal to field a competitive team isn't going to get it done. Portal talent allows Michigan to compete for a trophy, not a championship.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
The staff has obviously done a great job developing Parris, but they need to do better. Relying on the portal to field a competitive team isn't going to get it done. Portal talent allows Michigan to compete for a trophy, not a championship.
... and costs more too.

Reactions: vhsalum
Throw in Micic, Amine, and Pantaleo (plus Dieringer and Gomez), and CKWC is possibly the 2nd best training center in the world behind NLWC. Beloglazov is doing a great job.

It's not translating up and down the varsity lineup though.

Throw in Micic, Amine, and Pantaleo (plus Dieringer and Gomez), and CKWC is possibly the 2nd best training center in the world behind NLWC. Beloglazov is doing a great job.

FYI - I don't know how many PA District 3 wrestling fans are aware of this but way back in either 1975 or 1976, there was a Jr level exhibition FS dual at Cumberland Valley HS with a group of local PA guys vs an all star Jr level team from Russia. The two big stars for the Russian team were Sergei and Anatoly Beloglazov who are twins. They beat our guys pretty badly and I think we got a pretty good idea then as to how good both Beloglazov brothers would be when they were a little older.

PS @jefe - did you miss my reference to the Foundation trilogy in my previous post? 😁

Reactions: danoftw

Because KJ. lol

• Wow
Reactions: diggerpup
Random thoughts:

I found it a fantastic event. My primary focus was Men's Free Style. I was very impressed with the quality of the WFS. Was my first real experience with GR, it was like baseball to me 90% boring but that 10% with some of those throws...pretty fun.

I liked the flow. Wrestlers entered one side and left the opposite (from my perspective). It built anticipation.

Aaron Brooks.

I wish Mark Hall got more of a send off. Took us a few seconds to realize it happened on our side. He deserved more.

The future is so bright. Loved seeing the HS kids and young Nittany Lions go with the very best. The fact that some of these kids made the team and get to train with the Champs, you can't buy that experience.
Regarding Mark Hall, I would suggest PSU give him the recognition he's due by inviting him to the first 2024-2025 home dual to help raise the 2024 championship banner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT