ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Tony Shalhoub Drinking GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

So do we have a shot at picking up Blaze? Incredible performance by him this tournament. So much talk about Jax and Lilledahl but Blaze might be the best of the bunch. I assumed he ends up at Purdue or Ohio State but in the recruiting thread someone mentioned PSU is a possibility? Having Desmond, Lilledahl, Davis, and Blaze for 125, 133, and 141 would be pretty nice
Having 4 guys from the NLWC winning trials while he has a front row seat can only help us

Wrestlers that forfeited out of the OTT:
JB, Starocci, Yianni, Fix, Suriano, Richards, Alirez, Green, and Vincenzo.
Hopefully you hold all of them to the same standard you hold Spencer too.
The concern about Spencer wrestling back if he loses goes back further than just his last NCAA tournament. When did he last wrestle back after losing? The good news is he doesn't lose often so hopefully he steamrolls his way to the finals and we never find out.

Reactions: creamery freak
Slowly untied while sitting on the side of the platform. Officials ushered next combatants onto the mat. Mark just left this shoes on the edge of the platform, hopped down and walked off. Fans slowly recognized what was going on as Mark walked down past the end of the mats. By the time he disappeared into the tunnel, … he had received a very nice standing O. Sad to see him go. I was so very excited the day he signed with PSU.

Who needs a coach?

Good guy all around. He never had the career he hoped for, but he is a classy guy who always gave what he had. Does a great job teaching kids wrestling these days.
We've had a lot of fun at his expense, that we wouldn't have had if he were at any school but Iowa or Ohio State or Michigan.

But I think most people recognized all along that he just put his head down and worked. We just didn't like his choice of school.

I felt absolutely awful for him when he broke his ribs in SV against Griffith in the NCAA quarters. Can't say I wished for a different match result -- no offense to him, but Stanford might not have wrestling. But not the injury, the lost opportunity to place, and the emotional anguish that likely came from it.

I hope he remains in the sport in some capacity.

I’m a big Adeline fan but I really hope Blades win this. She is the future and has the ability to dominate this weight. She figured out Adeline in the first match but she’s done that before. Let’s see if she can finish this off

Kennedy needs to wrestle from space. Adeline is controlling the ties and is much stronger there. Blades is great from space. Great defense from Blades. Looked like Adeline had a sure td and Kennedy turned it into her own points. 8-2 now

And that’s it! Blades wins 8-3! Wins the series 2-0 and is headed to the Olympics. Long time coming. This US women’s team is going to be very good

Last edited:
Zain is pure class. He has had Russian try to hit him in interviews and Poke fans yelling abuses at him, and he never loses composure. There are Olympians/world medalists who could learn from Zain 😒
That time at Cadet Worlds when the Russian sucker-punched Zain behind the stands, and Zain just stood there and laughed it off ...

Zain is a special person and has always handled himself with maturity and class.

PSU will come back to earth after Zain stops making Wall Street money.

Snyderman coming up next. Trumble has had a great tournament but I would be shocked if Snyder doesn’t finish this off here. Would’ve liked to see one more J’Den vs Snyder match but J’Den just looked like a shell of his former self

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
97kg Best of 3 Match 2: Kyle Snyder vs. Issac Trumble

Snyder won the first match 5-0
P1:
Here we go.
Tying up in the center, Snyder snaps, gets a leg, drives Trumble out 1-0
Snyder snap, tying up in the center
Snyder gets to the leg again, gets another push out 2-0
Tying up in the center & pushing, Snyder snaps, but nothing
Snyder working an underhook
1:30 left
Restart, Snyder snaps, but nothing
Trumble not doing much
Snyder moving forward & tying up, leaning into Trumble, and they break
Snyder back to an underhook, but just pushing
30-sec left
Snyder pushing him to the edge, but it's stopped, restart
Back to center, tying up, Snyder locked in on the head as the period ends

P2:
Snyder shoots for a double, comes up to a body lock & takes Trumble out of bounds for another step out point, 3-0
Back to center, tying up & circling
Snyder headlocking or collar tying, Trumble & they break
Snyder back to an underhook
Trumble with a low single, but Snyder pulls out of it
Back to center
Trumble on the shot clock, no scoring
Shot point Snyder, 4-0
1-min left
Tying up in center, Snyder pulls away
Trumble working forward a little more
Snyder in on a low single, Trumble with a body lock trying for a life, but no score, stalemate
20-sec left
Tying up, pushing as time expires.

Kyle Snyder DEC Issac Trumble 4-0

Snyder wins the "Best of 3" finals by two matches to zero.

Last edited:
I feel for a lot of these guys retiring. Mark Hall, J’Den and the bull were all warriors and great people.

Have a feeling there will be one more person retiring tonight.

Reactions: ccdiver
Hildebrandt is so good. Unfortunately she is in the same weight as Susaki which means silver is probably the best she can hope for. Susaki is on a different level

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT