ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

You guys going to become Spencer Lee fans now? What a stud performance over the Champ
It was clear when he was a junior that he had the potential to be an all-time freestyle great. He is a technically superior freestyler.

Wait, Track was wrong?
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

97kg Best of 3 Match 1: Kyle Snyder vs. Issac Trumble

P1:
Hand fighting in the center, Snyder with a chest wrap, Trumble back to his feet & they break
Snyder tapping at the head, pulls Trumble down & has another chest wrap, restart
Snyder pushing forward, restart
2-min left
Snyder pushing forward, Trumble resisting, Snyder keeps pushing, Trumble tries a whizzer, Snyder goes behind, lifts & returns for the TD 2-0
Back to center, Snyder another chest wrap
Snyder driving Trumble towards the edge again, Trumble tries a whizzer, & then a head snap & they go out of bounds, no scoring
>1-min left
Snyder pushing forward again, Trumble tries a shot, nothing, Snyder chest wrap, Trumble gets away & circles back to center.
Pushing into each other & now I'm seeing a loading van & all 4 mats, what happened to the feed?

P2:
The video went out, but I can still hear the announcer.
Snyder gets a step out 3-0
2:30 left
Snyder snaps, but nothing, Snyder snaps, tries a go behind & gets the TD 5-0
Video feed comes back as they restart
1:30 left
Tying up & restart for something
Tying up again, Trumble tries a half shot, nothing, Trumble coming forward again, Snyder with another chest wrap
1-min left
Snyder gets an ankle pick, but can't convert, back to center
30-sec left
Snyder tapping at the head, circling & pushing
Trumble takes a shot, but Snyder blocks him off as time expires

Kyle Snyder DEC Issac Trumble 5-0

Last edited:
125kg 3rd Place- Daniel Greg Kerkvliet vs. Dom Bradley

P1:
Tying up in the center & then breaking apart
Kerk moving forward, then back to center
Bradley passivity warning
Pushing into each other, Kerk moving forward, but Bradley circles back to center
2-min left
Tying up, Kerk moving forward
Kerk shoots, working near the edge, and gets a step out 1-0
Back to center, pushing, Kerk moving forward a little
Kerk tries a shot, but doesn't commit fully
Passivity warning, Bradley on the clock
1-min left
Kerk shot clock point, 2-0
30-sec left
Back to center, pushing into each other & looking for an opening
Time expires as they circle in the center.

Looks like Cael & Cassar in Kerk's corner
P2:
Tying up & breaking apart
Kerk with a collar tie & they break
Tying up & circling, breaking
Passivity warning Kerk, I think
Tying up & pushing into each other, Kerk moving forward a little, but then they're back to center
2-min left
Passivity warning Kerk & he's on the clock
Tying up in the center, but no action
Bradley shot clock point, 2-1
Back to center circling
1-min left
Circling in the center, Bradley head snap,
Back to center
30-sec left
Bradley driving forward gets a step out, 2-2, advantage Bradley
20-sec left
Tying up in the center, Kerk fakes a shot & then takes a desperation one & another, but can't score.

Dom Bradley DEC Daniel Greg Kerkvliet 2-2

Last edited:
One fan, in all of BJC, yelled that Burroughs career was over? The outrage is like he spit on him, threw things at him or used a racial slur. Shame on the guy for yelling something the announcers actually talked about during the broadcast. Fake outrage by people trying to get clicks
In any case of libel or slander, the first defense is the truth. For better or worse, time has taken something out of him, just as it did to Cael.

He ignored the first rule of handling hecklers, ignore them. The second rule is see the first.

The reason this is getting so much drama is the heckler "went for the knee", in this case his wounded, but titanic ego. If I was in the stands I might have said "sweep the knee next time".

Honestly, when I heard Burroughs make the knee comment, I thought he was setting an MMA event by going full heel.

When he was yammering about Cormier's physique, because DC was talking about KC BBq, I thought what an obnoxious ass.. Next time get a less decorated but more professional commenter, like Amine..

Was he a great wrestler, sure. But I don't bow before athletes and the minute you tell me I must..well that's like the White House telling us we can't ridicule Biden for making up the "my uncle was eaten by cannibals" story.

Last edited:
Ok. But what does that say about yelling 'career is over?' Is that the kind of basic human respect to which you speak?

I believe basic human dignity is better preserved when mercy is shown to the vanquished.
I think having the expectation that fans consuming massive amounts of alcohol will behave in a cordial manner says a lot no matter who they are rooting for lol.

Reactions: ccdiver and Hotshoe
Here's a question. Assuming Spencer qualities the weight; if he loses a match in Paris will he wrestle-back for third or quit?

Reactions: AgSurfer
I don’t see how Nolf can score on Dake. He wasn’t close to getting to a leg, Dakes positioning is just too good.
Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over ……. and expecting a different result. Jason ain’t gonna score with that straight on stuff. Jason ain’t gonna set up a scramble with that straight on stuff. Let the coaches hold forth and let’s see some fire tonight.

Kudos to Spencer and Zain. USA wrestlers and hopefully they qualify and bring home the gold. One thing I’ve noticed. It’s time for the next wave. Gilman and Taylor looked old and slow against these younger guys. As did Burroughs. Cox and Hall agree. Move over and let these young guys come in. I hope Taylor looks better and would love to see him win gold again but he looked old against a guy that had already wrestled three matches and had to cut weight. Brooks is unbelievable just like Spencer.

Mark Hall retires. Great career.
Slowly untied while sitting on the side of the platform. Officials ushered next combatants onto the mat. Mark just left this shoes on the edge of the platform, hopped down and walked off. Fans slowly recognized what was going on as Mark walked down past the end of the mats. By the time he disappeared into the tunnel, … he had received a very nice standing O. Sad to see him go. I was so very excited the day he signed with PSU.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t Spencer and Zain still have to get their weights qualified for the US to be able to send someone to the Olympics?

If so, at least we’re probably sending the two best guys to do the job.
Correct, we have not qualified those weights yet.

So do we have a shot at picking up Blaze? Incredible performance by him this tournament. So much talk about Jax and Lilledahl but Blaze might be the best of the bunch. I assumed he ends up at Purdue or Ohio State but in the recruiting thread someone mentioned PSU is a possibility? Having Desmond, Lilledahl, Davis, and Blaze for 125, 133, and 141 would be pretty nice

Reactions: goldenanimal
So do we have a shot at picking up Blaze? Incredible performance by him this tournament. So much talk about Jax and Lilledahl but Blaze might be the best of the bunch. I assumed he ends up at Purdue or Ohio State but in the recruiting thread someone mentioned PSU is a possibility? Having Desmond, Lilledahl, Davis, and Blaze for 125, 133, and 141 would be pretty nice
One thing we should all consider is that freestyle does not translate directly to folkstyle wrestling. Certainly Blaze showed out the last two days and Purdue will be getting a good one if he joins his brother.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT