ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

You guys going to become Spencer Lee fans now? What a stud performance over the Champ

Track says that Burroughs-MM for true 2nd is a NC with Jordan winning. Is that because he already beat Mitch on the winners side? Because I thought he was forfeiting out because he didn’t weigh in today

Reactions: Ski and js8793
We all owe @SlipperyPete12 beers, bourbons, sodas or steaks, whatever he wants. Thank you!
Hall Of Fame Game Nfl GIF

74kg 3rd Place: Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. Jarrett Jacques

P1:
Mesenbrink active as usual, faking & fainting
Mesenbrink shoots in & gets behind for a TD 2-0
Mesenbrink tries a turn, but nothing
Back to center, hand-fighting, tying up
Mesenbrink reaches for a leg, nothing
Mesenbrink back in on a leg, keeps working & gets another TD 4-0
Has a lace & gets a turn & another turn, 8-0
Back to center
1:37 left
Jacques in on a leg, Mesenbrink defending, locked through the crotch, stalemate
Mesenbrink shoots, Jacques with a chest wrap, stalemate
1-min left
Mesenbrink shoots, almost gets a leg, but Jacques with another chest wrap, stalemate
Mesenbrink gets in deep on a leg, comes behind & takes Jacques to the mat for another TD & the Tech Fall, 10-0

Mitchell Mesenbrink TECH Jarrett Jacques 10-0
i still can’t believe the tournament jacques had lol

Track says that Burroughs-MM for true 2nd is a NC with Jordan winning. Is that because he already beat Mitch on the winners side? Because I thought he was forfeiting out because he didn’t weigh in today
i’m not sure how JB not weighing affects things but MM isn’t eligible for a true second shot since he lost to him already.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Congrats to Spencer! Really thought after Gilman's interview and him talking about his 2 daughters and their family going through adversity he was going to leave his shoes on the mat. It sounded to me like his fire to compete just wasn't there. Also mentioned 6 months ago he was unsure if he even wanted to enter this weekend. Makes you wonder just how many guys we could be watching for the last time this weekend.

It will be tough but when healthy I think Spencer is one of the best guys in the world. I think he qualifies the weight
Okay thanks. I know he’s constantly injury-plagued, but he’s so far down the rankings, I was concerned.

Okay thanks. I know he’s constantly injury-plagued, but he’s so far down the rankings, I was concerned.
Down the rankings because he has barely competed internationally in the last like 5+ years. When healthy he can go with anyone though. His par terre game is incredible which is so important. He looks healthy so I’m excited to see him go qualify the weight. Would be a huge letdown if he doesn’t

Based on Track it looks like Mitch is 4th behind Dake Nolf and Burroughs. JB may vacate his spot for training for MM but he was 3rd officially

Weird. Not sure how JB can get the spot when he didn’t weigh in and forfeited out of matches today. Doesn’t make sense
I think since Messenbrink is not allowed to wrestle JB for true third that overrules JB not weighing in. If JJ had taken 3rd he would have won by Forfeit over JB and gotten the spot. that is what is intuitive to me at least

65kg Best of 3 Match 2: Nick Lee vs. Zain Retherford
Zain won the first match 2-1

P1:
Both wrestlers come to the mat with head tape, Lee with more head tape. Both have it wrapped around the head, Lee has it under the chin & over the top too.
Here we go
Zain in on a quick blast double for a TD & turn & another turn, and it's quickly 6-0
And the blood starts flowing. Maybe Zain needs more tape? Someone needs more tape.
Nick throwing the brick, challenging the 2nd turn, previously
A couple guys cleaning blood off the mat
Nobody got anymore tape, but the bleeding issue has apparently been fixed.
Waiting on Nick's challenge
Challenge won, score corrected to 4-0 Zain
Restart
Tying up, hand fighting, looking for an opening
Zain moves forward, Nick tries to go behind, nothing
Back to center, tying up & circling
Zain shoots another double, Nick defends, but goes out of bounds, step out Zain, 5-0
Back to center, restart
1-min left
Tying up, Zain reaches for a leg, Nick gets away
Back to center, tying up
Nick reaches for a leg, nothing
Zain snaps, nothing
Back to tie ups
Nick shoots for a leg, Zain scoots away
Back to neutral, tying up and pushing as the period expires.

Casey & Kennedy in Nick's corner, Cody & Varner in Zain's

P2:
Nick moves forward, Zain blocks & back to circling in the center
Tying up, looking for an opening & breaking apart
Nick with a half shot, nothing
Nick with a 3/4 shot, nothing
Back to center
2-min left
Tying up & pushing in the center
Nick moving forward a little, but no solid shots
Nick with another half shot, Zain defends easily
Zain warned for something, passivity?
1-min left
Tying up in the center again
Ref says something again, but they're still going
Back to the tie ups
30-sec left
Both in the center, tying up & not doing much more.
Time expires without any real action
Hugs all around.

Zain Retherford DEC Nick Lee 5-0

Zain wins the first & second matches to win the best of 3 series.

Track must be mistaken. How can you give a guy 3rd that didn’t wrestle back. That would be a first
True Second has a no rematch rule. If you look at 97KG it applies there as well. Jackson got 3rd but couldn’t get his rematch against Moore for True 2nd because True 2nd counts wins from the winners bracket

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT