ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

My take on the JB situation:

JB is one of the all time greats and thats not really arguable. However, there are a ton of professional athletes that are all time greats in their own sports respectively that get or have gotten boo'd. Thats sports. I don't mind the booing at all.

However, I seen the video of someone yelling "career over". I couldn't disagree more with that being done. That could very well be the last time we see someone who has done a lot for USA wrestling, and it was not the time to taunt. To expand on that, everyone is coming at PSU fans. Lets not pretend the only people in attendance at this tournament are PSU fans. Do they make up the strong majority, absolutely. But in my opinion from watching the video, there was one person doing the yelling directly at JB. Lets not crucify all the PSU fans for something one person yelled, and we have no idea where that fella is from.

To end, if that was the last time JB laces up his shoes, it was a pleasure to watch him. Its not exactly the send off I'm sure he envisioned, but usually the end is never how we expect it.

I just don’t think it’s a particularly big deal. It’s part and parcel of being a superstar athlete. Whether or should be or not can be up for debate. But this wouldn’t even be talked about in a big time sport unless they used a slur or something.
No one gets removed for telling guys their career is over. Slurs obviously except for in IC.

I think the boos on Burroughs were brought on by what started as obvious stalling versus Messenbrink, and then compounded by his head pushing antics in that match.

He quickly became an easy villian in a PSU dominated crowd, past accomplishments be damned.

Being surrounded by cry baby manning also probably compounded the situation.
This. Exactly this. Not saying it was classy or anything but Burroughs clearly made himself the villain, first with the Starocci stuff and then with the bush league garbage vs Mitchell. Burroughs earned this treatment.

JB is one of the all time greats and thats not really arguable. However, there are a ton of professional athletes that are all time greats in their own sports respectively that get or have gotten boo'd. Thats sports. I don't mind the booing at all.

However, I seen the video of someone yelling "career over". I couldn't disagree more with that being done. That could very well be the last time we see someone who has done a lot for USA wrestling, and it was not the time to taunt. To expand on that, everyone is coming at PSU fans. Lets not pretend the only people in attendance at this tournament are PSU fans. Do they make up the strong majority, absolutely. But in my opinion from watching the video, there was one person doing the yelling directly at JB. Lets not crucify all the PSU fans for something one person yelled, and we have no idea where that fella is from.

To end, if that was the last time JB laces up his shoes, it was a pleasure to watch him. Its not exactly the send off I'm sure he envisioned, but usually the end is never how we expect it.
Someone getting that upset for “career over” Is a crybaby. The kind of person who calls out the performance of guys who beat them for a spot, or who tries to be the bad guy at 7pm but wants everyone to like him at 9.

Penn State fanbase has grown a lot--there are a lot more casual fans now that may not know what JB represents. We've also understandably gotten pretty cocky. JB has been so his entire career (and typically backed it up). That dude was definitely low class, but #notmyPennState, and ultimately, pretty garden variety sporting event misbehavior.

Nailed it as usual.

This isn’t just any old fan/athlete situation. An hour earlier JB and his corner were yelling into the stands and playing heel. Not a one way street. But now the victim.
Yup. He wanted to be the heel and was loving it until he took the L. He asked for the hate and somebody gave it to him. I don't condone yelling at the guy like that but it's not that big of a deal. The fan was emotional and acted out stupidly, just like Willie seems to do every time something doesn't go his way.

Holy shit, that was an awesome post about 95 percent of the way through until you went into Defcon 5 Dark mode there at the end 😂 Thanks so much for that, Grim Reaper 😂

Reactions: Antaeus
Jen Page just lost a heartbreaker. Anyone know why she couldn’t challenge with :06 left? Brick was thrown and the refs said no

Reactions: backdrft76
74kg Final- Jason Nolf vs. Jordan Burroughs

P1:
Nolf shoots a double, scrambling & they go out of bounds, Nolf push out point 1-0
Burroughs challenging, claiming to be ground, or something like that.
Challenge won 0-0, restart
Tying up, Nolf shoots, Burroughs blocks, Nolf shoots again, but nothing
Nolf moving forward
2-min left
Nolf tries a duck, nothing
Burroughs warned for passivity
Nolf pushing forward, Burroughs circling & faking & head slapping
Nolf reaches for an ankle, nothing
Burroughs goes on the clock
Nolf shoots, nothing
1-min left
Burroughs head tapping, pushing forward, but not scoring
Shot clock point Nolf 1-0
30-sec left
Burroughs in on a leg, but Nolf fights him off
Nolf with a chest lock on the edge & jumps around for a TD on the edge 3-0
Burroughs with another challenge, 6-sec left
Challenge won again 1-0 Nolf
And time runs out

P2:
Nolf with a quick shot & drives Burroughs out of bounds for 2, 3-0 Nolf
Restart, tying up & stalemate
Burroughs head tapping, moving forward, Nolf defending, restart
Tying up, Burroughs pushing forward, Nolf circling & goes back to center
Burroughs pushing forward again, Nolf circling, on the edge, they break & go back to center
Burroughs moving forward, Nolf semi-shot
1-min left
Tying up & stalemate, restart
Nolf warned for passivity or negative wrestling
Burroughs a little more active, pushing forward,
30-sec left
Burroughs pushing forward, Nolf circles & goes back to center, Burroughs running out of gas
Time expires

Jason Nolf DEC Jordan Burroughs 3-0
Almost forgotten due to the reefer—uhh, Saylor Madness… thank you very much for all the play-by-play recaps today!!

A lot of these guys are professionals Every professional athlete gets booed. Personally I don’t boo athletes but it happens but this isn’t a 17 year old He’s a man it happens everyday in mlb nfl and nba

Shit. Looks like 4 to me

AB needs to get going. Not looking good. If Zahid wins DT is going to demolish him

Let’s go AB. One more step out

Yea!! Singlet grab by Zahid and AB goes up by 1

What a comeback!! **** yes AB! That was awesome

Reactions: creamery freak
86kg Challenge Final- Aaron Brooks vs. Zahid Valencia

The final match of the night. It took a long time to get here.
P1:
Tying up in the center. Zahid looks big or long, they break & back to tie-ups
Zahid pushing forward, but not much, Zahid on his knees & restart
Straight to the tie-ups, pushing & circling
Brooks passivity warning
Zahid shoots, gets a leg, Brooks sprawls, stalemate, restart
Brooks passivity warning, goes on the shot clock
1-min left
Tying up in the center, Brooks shoots, gets a leg, but Zahid fights him off
Back to center
Zahid shot clock point 1-0
Tying up, Zahid snap, nothing
Brooks shoots a double, Zahid whizzers, no scoring
The period ends
1-0 Zahid, not a ton of action this period

P2:
Back at it
Zahid shoots, nothing
Brooks pushing forward, Zahid drops to a leg, but Brooks fights him off
On their feet & back to center
Passivity warning Zahid
Zahid on the clock
Brooks drives forward & takes Zahid down & out of bounds 2-1 Brooks
Zahid challenging, Brooks drove Zahid into the ref as they went off the mat, but not sure what is being challenged.
Challenge won, TD overturned, 1-1 Brooks advantage
Back to action
Brooks snaps, gets in on a leg & drives Zahid off the mat for a step out point, 2-1
Brooks shot clock point 3-1
Restart, Brooks shoots, Zahid counters & takes Brooks out of bounds for 4 points, 5-3 Zahid now
Brooks challenging, 1:43 left
4 points confirmed, point Zahid point for the lost challenge, 6-3, Zahid
Back to center, Brooks working, Zahid drops in on a single, Brooks locks in through the waist, stalemate
1-min left
Brooks moving forward, Zahid backing up,
Zahid gets to a leg, Brooks reaches around & ties him up, stalemate.
34-sec left
Brooks moves forward, Zahid backs up & restart
Brooks gets a leg, cuts the corner for the TD 6-5, Zahid
Brooks shoots forward & drives Zahid off the mat 6-6, advantage Zahid
10-sec left
Brooks drives forward, Ref stops action & awards Brooks 1 point for a singlet grab 7-6, Brooks
Zahid's corner tries to challenge, but he throws the brick back
And time expires as Zahid fails to score

Aaron Brooks DEC Valencia 7-6

What a comeback! Wow! Fantastic match by Brooks!

Does anyone know why there is so much time between matches? There seems to be an excessively long break between bouts tonight, and they're not even cleaning the mats between matches.
Many matches. there is a minimum time to recover. Safely of our wrestlers. And, commercials/advertising.

Actually the stars in other sports have hecklers removed from the arena at times. You are correct that it’s a much more common thing in other sports but I’m not sure why you guys are defending this. It’s uncalled for. Obviously all PSU fans shouldn’t be lumped together with the idiot who did this so I understand some of the pushback from that angle. Still, saying well compared to Iowa or Downey we are great is basically condoning what happened. It’s ok to say some PSU fans are idiots as well and athletes shouldn’t have to deal with this shit as they walk off the mat from a tough loss that likely just ended a legend’s career.
Since I'm the one who made the Iowa and Downey comparisons, let me be clear:

I agree with Verk:

I have never booed or heckled athletes. Booing Burroughs during the matches is one thing -- he took multiple lungers and got chippy against a home athlete -- but afterward makes the match about him and not about Jason. I celebrate our guys.

Unfortunately that's unrealistic. It has never happened that way anywhere on earth in any high-stakes, high-intensity event.

So if a few guys yelled at him -- didn't throw batteries or coins at him, didn't slur him, didn't threaten him or his family -- then I'm not getting worked up over a professional athlete getting yelled at. Burroughs will somehow survive. Doesn't make it right, just what it is.

And the public response to those fans was way over the top and mockable. One fan yelling "your career is over" is not newsworthy. It's either an emotional overreaction (which IMO is the case with Willie) or an attempt to smear an entire fanbase by association.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT