ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Burroughs won by consistenly getting lower than Mesenbrink, and then reattacking.

He also did everything he could to extend every whistle. The ref let him get away with far too much there. I don't know that it would've changed the outcome, but it would've been nice to see the effect of having to resume action on time and deal with Mesenbrink's pace without those long lungers.

I hope JB can fix that issue he kept having with his socks. Man I been watching him for over a decade and this was the first time that guy just couldn't figure out how to pull his socks up at the edge of the mat after every whistle. Just crazy. Hope they fix that for the next round.

Reactions: Ski and Ironturd
I agree, the last thing I want to see on a message board is people's opinions that aren't the same as mine!
You don’t know my opinion on which is better. I’m not constantly jamming it down everyone’s throat after every match. Instead I’m just happy to watch our guys compete in the sport I love. Try it out

Reactions: RB-Old
Watching Burroughs v. Messenbrink kind of reminded me of Yianni v. Van Ness in 2023 NCAA’s.

Yianni had that attitude of being indignant that someone challenged him and had the gall to wrestle him tough. Burroughs appeared the same.

Burroughs won by consistenly getting lower than Mesenbrink, and then reattacking.

He also did everything he could to extend every whistle. The ref let him get away with far too much there. I don't know that it would've changed the outcome, but it would've been nice to see the effect of having to resume action on time and deal with Mesenbrink's pace without those long lungers.
Spot on. He just needed to act like he had been there before. He obviously hates wrestling in State College. However, he was absolutely classless.

Reactions: David Keller
You don’t know my opinion on which is better. I’m not constantly jamming it down everyone’s throat after every match. Instead I’m just happy to watch our guys compete in the sport I love. Try it out
I get it but complaining about it is just as pointless as saying folkstyle is better. Nobody is changing anybody's mind so just ignore it.

Reactions: zzs006
I hope JB can fix that issue he kept having with his socks. Man I been watching him for over a decade and this was the first time that guy just couldn't figure out how to pull his socks up at the edge of the mat after every whistle. Just crazy. Hope they fix that for the next round.
Nothing a staple gun wouldn't fix. Maybe they can staple JB and Mannings mouths shut also.

Crowd's been drinkin' so I give them a pass, but I'm not sure what Manning's excuse is. Not sure how I feel about JB as heel.
I'll be the outlier and say that MM was a little over the line with the head pushes and ankle grabbing well after the whistle. It was chippy if I'm being honest. JB had a right to be sideways about it although he went over the line as well. What MM learned is that he has a ways to go to compete at the highest level and that experience matters. What JB learned is that the youth of today don't care about his resume. They want to kill the king.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT