ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting Class Thread

From the mailbag:

Other 2023s that could commit early? @andrewrubin24

With Alex Birchmeier announcing his commitment yesterday, that'll absolutely grab the attention of other 2023 prospects. I've always thought that this class could produce an excellent group on offensive linemen, and I think it's possible that a few of those players could be the next to jump on board.

The most notable of that group is Antonio Tripp from McDonogh in Baltimore. I actually wrote about this in my commitment impact story following Birchmeier's decision. Tripp has always been a player that I've had circled for a potential early commitment. We also know that he's become friendly with Birchmeier over the past year, so that all bodes well for the Lions.

Now, whether it'll be in the next few weeks, a month or two, or maybe even longer, it's tough to say, but if you gave me three or four players to choose from prior to Birchmeier's commitment in regards to who would be the first to commit in 2023, Tripp would've been part of that group. I know Neumann Goretti defensive back Shawn Battle had a great visit in June, so he was someone I was watching at the time. That talk has kind of died down since then, but I will watch him closely when he visits again.

A sleeper pick here is another offensive lineman: Alabama native Koby Keenum. I interviewed Keenum a few weeks ago and he raved about the visit. I know he's been speaking with Birchmeier regularly, too. I'm much more confident in picking Tripp over Keenum when it comes to who could potentially commit next, but Penn State really impressed he and his family, making him a name to remember in the months ahead.

Considering the ever-changing recruiting landscape I have mostly limited any attention to the 2022 thread, knowing that anything in 2023 or beyond is likely to change anyway...but the recent OG commit and your post in reference to another OG prospect do warrant attention just because based on the projected apparent level of enthusiasm there seems (either correctly or incorrectly) to be a higher chance than normal that they would actually "stick".

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Considering the ever-changing recruiting landscape I have mostly limited any attention to the 2022 thread, knowing that anything in 2023 or beyond is likely to change anyway...but the recent OG commit and your post in reference to another OG prospect do warrant attention just because based on the projected apparent level of enthusiasm there seems (either correctly or incorrectly) to be a higher chance than normal that they would actually "stick".
We’ve entered the period for 2023 where kids are likely making a final decision.

I’d guess kids who commit before their sophomore year are nearly locks to decommit. However, kids who commit just before their junior year are about 75-80% likely to stay committed. There’s a huge jump in between there.

Reactions: Shadow99
For a former commit, Mega Barnwell sure is visiting Penn State quite a bit. He has visited Penn State twice in the last two months. It seems that Barnwell decommitted because he was getting more and more offers and he realized that he committed too soon, but Barnwell could be someone that may come back into the fold at Penn State.

Would love to see Barnwell recommit. Seems like he is trending that way. Keep that VA pipeline full!

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT