ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Can’t say it will be Allar, but I do think next year’s QB1 isn’t on the roster this year.

He very well could be on the roster. It’s up to Clifford. If he comes back one more year it would time out perfectly for Allar. The mentorship Clifford could provide Allar would be invaluable. If Clifford doesn’t come back it’s off to the portal. From what I understand the portal will be rich with QB talent in 2022.

Reactions: Texas Lion
He very well could be on the roster. It’s up to Clifford. If he comes back one more year it would time out perfectly for Allar. The mentorship Clifford could provide Allar would be invaluable. If Clifford doesn’t come back it’s off to the portal. From what I understand the portal will be rich with QB talent in 2022.
also don't forget about Sean's younger brother who could be getting some real snaps next year at WR...they seem to be pretty close

Wow. So if Clifford doesn’t return next year, is Allar our starting QB as a true Freshman?
I gotta believe that if Allar is really a Trevor Lawrence / Justin Fields talent and he enrolls in January and participates in Spring ball, that Franklin will have no choice but to start him in 2022. Franklin has talked pretty consistently about playing the best players, but also talks consistently about how hard the transition from H.S. to B10 football is and that very few are prepared for it.

But when I look at Allar's arm, and his passes that he effortlessly zips accurately to his receivers it sure seems a possibility that this could be the young man that starts as a true FR at PSU for James Franklin .......

Last edited:
Allar's new higher profile can't hurt Franklin's and Yurcich's pursuit of Andre Green and Wagner.....

High talent likes to play with high talent and loves to WIN !

;) ;) ;)

Could Enai White have a late change of heart now that he sees how the PSU Defense has played this season and the talent already committed to the 2022 class on both sides of the ball .........

Last edited:
Reactions: mcruny42
Wow. So if Clifford doesn’t return next year, is Allar our starting QB as a true Freshman?
I'm certain that the starting QB will be the one who performs best in Spring and Fall practice. It is my hope that all other QBs will get sufficient opportunities to be ready to play.

I'm certain that the starting QB will be the one who performs best in Spring and Fall practice. It is my hope that all other QBs will get sufficient opportunities to be ready to play.
Yeah but Allar is enrolling early and is already studying the playbook, etc. He is putting himself in position to be the starter vs Purdue on 9/3.

I would assume that if Clifford leaves a transfer would come in to compete as well.

As great as Lawrence was, he didn't take over instantly. It was very similar to how OUs QB situation played out, minus the chants.

Great news on the bump. Kids been impressive.

Reactions: bison13
Yeah but Allar is enrolling early and is already studying the playbook, etc. He is putting himself in position to be the starter vs Purdue on 9/3.

I would assume that if Clifford leaves a transfer would come in to compete as well.
I don't believe a transfer QB will be brought in even if Clifford moves on unless either Roberson or Veilleux decide to transfer. Without Clifford PSU would still have 4 QB's on the roster.

Franklin discussed how hard it is to bring in a QB that can compete, stating that most want an assurance of a starting position which Franklin won't do. And with the experience and practice reps that Roberson and Veilleux are getting combined with the talent of Allar and Pribula why would any talented transfer QB want to come to PSU to compete among 5 total talented QB's?

No reason for Veilleux to transfer as he'll have a big leg up on the two 2022 QB's in experience if he gets some playing time this season, together with the increased practice reps with Clifford out, and he is progressing in the S&C program. As for Roberson it seems that if he continues to struggle as he plays this season he may feel that the increased talent coming in 2022 (maybe in January of 2022) could more than likely push him down the depth chart and with only a couple of more years of eligibility he may look for a place to get on the field. But even if that happens I wouldn't expect it to happen until after Spring practice when he competes against Allar and Veilleux.

Last edited:
As great as Lawrence was, he didn't take over instantly. It was very similar to how OUs QB situation played out, minus the chants.

Great news on the bump. Kids been impressive.
Yeah but for e.x. at Clemson Kelly Bryant had already been the starter and made the CFP a year prior, so it wasn't like Lawrence was walking into an empty cupboard. Ditto with Rattler having a (somewhat) successful season in 2020. If Clifford leaves whomever is the starter in 2022 will be making his first career start as PSU's starter (well, unless Roberson wins the job technically).

Reactions: GregInPitt
Yeah but for e.x. at Clemson Kelly Bryant had already been the starter and made the CFP a year prior, so it wasn't like Lawrence was walking into an empty cupboard. Ditto with Rattler having a (somewhat) successful season in 2020. If Clifford leaves whomever is the starter in 2022 will be making his first career start as PSU's starter (well, unless Roberson wins the job technically).

Agreed, but after that loss to Bama it was known exactly what it was going to take to get over the hump again: QB who could sling it.

They knew what they had in TL. And if they had another already on the roster, he'd have done replaced DJU. Nil be damned. See Caleb @ OU.

Could Enai White have a late change of heart now that he sees how the PSU Defense has played this season
0f53e8cc-87e8-4348-9ecf-a4811d013811_text.gif

Thank you!!!! Every business in State College should sign Cliff to a contract to promote their goods. Make it hard for Cliff to say no.....give him a Quinn Ewers like truck, pay him whatever we think it would take.

For Cliff to stay 1 more year is probably as important as any situation in the History of Penn State football.

Here is why.

Cliff stays and is a mentor to Allar and Pribula.
Cliff leaves good luck getting as non senior to come via the portal with the #1 QB and the pride of PA waiting in the wings.

Yep, more like when Fields went to oh-high-ya. No returning starter, but some other candidates, some of whom saw the writing on the wall and bailed.....

Thank you!!!! Every business in State College should sign Cliff to a contract to promote their goods. Make it hard for Cliff to say no.....give him a Quinn Ewers like truck, pay him whatever we think it would take.

For Cliff to stay 1 more year is probably as important as any situation in the History of Penn State football.

Here is why.

Cliff stays and is a mentor to Allar and Pribula.
Cliff leaves good luck getting as non senior to come via the portal with the #1 QB and the pride of PA waiting in the wings.

Having a team player like Clifford show him the ropes could speed up his development by a year or 2.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Having a team player like Clifford show him the ropes could speed up his development by a year or 2.
I have a great deal of respect for the work ethic and determination of Clifford, but I believe it will be Yurcich who has the greatest impact on Allar and Pribula......

Clifford has been playing much better this season - some of it maturity, but most of it in my opinion being the instruction and coaching by Yurcich.

The best thing that could happen for Allar, if he indeed ends up winning the 2022 starting PSU QB job, would be for Trautwein to work some magic with the OL (possibly Walker returning, but that seems like a long shot) and the RB's with the addition of Singleton to light up the running game........

Reactions: TheGLOV
I have a great deal of respect for the work ethic and determination of Clifford, but I believe it will be Yurcich who has the greatest impact on Allar and Pribula......

Clifford has been playing much better this season - some of it maturity, but most of it in my opinion being the instruction and coaching by Yurcich.

The best thing that could happen for Allar, if he indeed ends up winning the 2022 starting PSU QB job, would be for Trautwein to work some magic with the OL (possibly Walker returning, but that seems like a long shot) and the RB's with the addition of Singleton to light up the running game........

Singleton's speed will be huge. He's going to be next years version of Henderson if he can catch out the back field.

Is he enrolling early?

Reactions: TheGLOV
I’ll start this by saying I’m no QB guru and probably don’t know what I’m talking about.

I just watched Allar’s most recent highlights and am kind of dumbfounded by the assessment this site gave him. In the spring, he was rated a 5.7 3*. And most recently this summer upgraded to a 4* top 200 prospect.

His biggest knocks being his accuracy and mobility. And the often quoted Hackenberg comparison. Well, this season he’s completing passes at a 65% clip with 31 TDs to 4 INTs. And watching his hudl films, it’s quite noticeable how athletic he is and more than capable of moving around in the pocket and even taking off and running. He’s also stellar throwing (with deep ball accuracy) on the run. And the kid is 6’5 230lbs.

This hasn’t been debated, but I just thought it was worth noting - his ability to “flick” the ball + throw at different arm angles is really fun to watch. He almost has that Mahomes/Rodgers-esque release. It also seems like he cleaned up some of his mechanics since his soph-jr film. No real wasted motion.

So do the talent evaluators take another look at the end of the HS season? Classic case of late bloomer? Or do the rivals guys just not see it?

Reactions: TheGLOV and royboy
I’ll start this by saying I’m no QB guru and probably don’t know what I’m talking about.

I just watched Allar’s most recent highlights and am kind of dumbfounded by the assessment this site gave him. In the spring, he was rated a 5.7 3*. And most recently this summer upgraded to a 4* top 200 prospect.

His biggest knocks being his accuracy and mobility. And the often quoted Hackenberg comparison. Well, this season he’s completing passes at a 65% clip with 31 TDs to 4 INTs. And watching his hudl films, it’s quite noticeable how athletic he is and more than capable of moving around in the pocket and even taking off and running. He’s also stellar throwing (with deep ball accuracy) on the run. And the kid is 6’5 230lbs.

This hasn’t been debated, but I just thought it was worth noting - his ability to “flick” the ball + throw at different arm angles is really fun to watch. He almost has that Mahomes/Rodgers-esque release. It also seems like he cleaned up some of his mechanics since his soph-jr film. No real wasted motion.

So do the talent evaluators take another look at the end of the HS season? Classic case of late bloomer? Or do the rivals guys just not see it?
I think some of it is from the specific camps and who runs each. Kids who go to Rivals sponsored camps will score higher on Rivals. Also, I think there is some stubbornness not to admit that you were wrong in certain situations.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
I have to laugh at all the praise being heaped on Clifford. Not long ago some of you guys were throwing him to the wolves and couldn't wait for Robinson to take the field. Now all of a sudden it sounds like he's the best QB PSU has ever had. I have never been down on Clifford. He, like all other players, has good games and not so good games. Recently, he has had many more good games. To me that is confidence in himself and people around him. The only way that happens is by playing and having success. I don't know who the QB will be next year, don't sleep on Pribula, but if it is someone other than Clifford or even if it is Clifford, I do know that the first mistake that he makes will bring calls for someone on the bench. That's what makes sports fun. Everyone can be a Monday morning QB and have all the answers.

By the way, it's been great being part of this board for about 20 years. I check it everyday and I will miss it. I have enjoyed all of the discussions about all things Penn State as well as discussions about everything else. What a great place to get advice on everything from music to stock picks and of course all the polls of music and young ladies. I hope that all of you and your families are happy and well and continue to stay that way. All the best to each of you. WE ARE!!

I think some of it is from the specific camps and who runs each. Kids who go to Rivals sponsored camps will score higher on Rivals. Also, I think there is some stubbornness not to admit that you were wrong in certain situations.
It's this. Rivals' evaluation is a bizarre combination of punishing kids who don't go to their camps, and ego/stubbornness which hinders their ability to admit when they've misevaluated a prospect.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT