ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Doesn't look 170 to me.....looks frail and that might explain the 3 star and limited offers. His HS is a 6A school so it isn't like he is playing A Ball.

Omari Evans is an interesting prospect. He plays QB and DB. Last year he occasionally lined up at WR. He has been listed at 6'0" 170 lbs and 6'3" 190 lbs, so he is still growing or the scales in Killeen, TX are flawed. He has run a 10.8 100 meter and long jumped over 23 feet, so definitely an athlete as much as a WR. His national ranking is low but I think it is because he doesn't have the opportunity to focus on his likely college position.
Probably because he plays QB in HS not WR, so the projection probably is difficult to come up with when there's no film of him running routes in a game; not to mention his best offer other than PSU is Arkansas or Okie State

I don't buy the 4.3s 40 time (unless fully automated timing) but he does have speed and elusiveness in his game. The in-state schools who have offered him are Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, and SMU.

Reactions: bison13
Omari Evans is an interesting prospect. He plays QB and DB. Last year he occasionally lined up at WR. He has been listed at 6'0" 170 lbs and 6'3" 190 lbs, so he is still growing or the scales in Killeen, TX are flawed. He has run a 10.8 100 meter and long jumped over 23 feet, so definitely an athlete as much as a WR. His national ranking is low but I think it is because he doesn't have the opportunity to focus on his likely college position.
In his picture with CJF recently, Omari appears to be about an inch or two shorter than coach who is 6-2.

Last edited:
High School QB? I see a double pass to an open TE in his future...

Who are they playing?
Week 5
Friday, October 1 – Medina (Ohio) vs. Mentor (Ohio)
7 p.m. on ESPN2 from Mentor High School in Mentor, Ohio.

• Medina looks to avenge a semifinal playoff loss to Mentor last season. They will do so behind No. 40 ranked senior Drew Allar (Penn State commit), who is the No. 3 ranked QB-PP in the country.
  • Mentor was state runner up in Ohio last season and they will look to slow down Allar with a top 40 ranked player of their own, No. 35 junior Brenan Vernon – DE (Notre Dame commit).

Reactions: TheGLOV
Devante Smith was a high 4 star wr....(.9717)

Smith is a medium 3 star...(.8466)

I would guess that comparison doesn't work very well.
I never mentioned ability or recruit ranking, just comparing Evans to another slightly built WR relative to durability.

Reactions: Grass
Omari Evans did rattle off a couple of sub-4.4 fourties in person at PSU's summer football camp.
I don't trust handheld timing. If his times were recorded through FAT, it would be very impressive. Hs 10.8 100 meter is a good time, especially if electronically registered in a state meet. A 23' long jump speaks for itself.

Don't get me wrong, I like his video highlights. With physical maturation and Bodies by Galt, I would expect him to become faster and more explosive. I'd love to see him and Sanders on the field at the same time.

Probably because he plays QB in HS not WR, so the projection probably is difficult to come up with when there's no film of him running routes in a game; not to mention his best offer other than PSU is Arkansas or Okie State
Is this the same #8 ranked Arkansas team that dominated Texas and Texas A&M, two teams that are loaded with 4 and 5 stars across the board?

I don't trust handheld timing. If his times were recorded through FAT, it would be very impressive. Hs 10.8 100 meter is a good time, especially if electronically registered in a state meet. A 23' long jump speaks for itself.

Don't get me wrong, I like his video highlights. With physical maturation and Bodies by Galt, I would expect him to become faster and more explosive. I'd love to see him and Sanders on the field at the same time.
If he was fat he wouldn't be near this fast...........

In CJF we trust!!

What are called "FAT" 40s aren't much better than hand-held times.

The point is more that the kid was one of the fastest out of everyone we timed at camp this summer. Regardless of whether that timing was electronic or handheld, or the composite handheld method they use, if the kid's the fastest runner in a camp of a couple hundred or more, I think he runs pretty good because he's proven to be a hell of a lot faster than his peers.

I've actually heard at some point, after the broken leg, Chip Kelly ghosted him during his recruitment after he committed. PSU always hung around and kept in touch then decided to go for his commitment closer to signing day.

Those details might be a bit skewed based on hearing it a while back. Anyway, Dotson is now the #1 receiver on Mel Kiper's big board. The staff looks pretty smart nowadays.

I've actually heard at some point, after the broken leg, Chip Kelly ghosted him during his recruitment after he committed. PSU always hung around and kept in touch then decided to go for his commitment closer to signing day.

Those details might be a bit skewed based on hearing it a while back. Anyway, Dotson is now the #1 receiver on Mel Kiper's big board. The staff looks pretty smart nowadays.
Holy smokes, it's true!

Holy smokes, it's true!

8. Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State​

HT: 5-11 | WT: 184 | Previously: NR

Dotson is an explosive wideout having a great season. Look how open he is on this 49-yard touchdown against Wisconsin. And check out Penn State's first offensive play against Villanova, a 52-yard strike to Dotson in which he showed acceleration at the catch. He isn't catching many screens and short routes -- his average air yards per target is 12.2 yards, which is consistent with his four-year career at Penn State. He can break tackles after the catch. While Dotson had a few drops in 2019 and 2020, he hasn't dropped any of his 35 targets this season. He's on pace for a spectacular season.

anyone a little worried that this big class might not have a real LB down the road?...overall its a great class but we only got two in last years class (however i do like the look of Buddin and King so far)...Carter has a very big frame already and the majority of people who see him play see a DE most likely and Wylie has a great burst off the edge but has only played DE in high school...maybe they have a silent commit in Barham (and even if they get him it might not be enough down the road)...i do worry a little just from a numbers perspective...maybe the transfer portal will need to be hit at LB if these guys don't project the way the staff feels now...but i do know LB seems very strong in 2023 in our area

anyone a little worried that this big class might not have a real LB down the road?...overall its a great class but we only got two in last years class (however i do like the look of Buddin and King so far)...Carter has a very big frame already and the majority of people who see him play see a DE most likely and Wylie has a great burst off the edge but has only played DE in high school...maybe they have a silent commit in Barham (and even if they get him it might not be enough down the road)...i do worry a little just from a numbers perspective...maybe the transfer portal will need to be hit at LB if these guys don't project the way the staff feels now...but i do know LB seems very strong in 2023 in our area

Perhaps, but remember there is a solution...

depositphotos_42276667-stock-photo-time-tunnel.jpg

Really only play 2 true LB’s.

Jacobs was a HS DB and is a stud at SAM. Either Driver, if he doesn’t play WR, or another of the bigger Safety recruits could end up at SAM.

But yes, I’d love to see a true stud LB recruit like Barham join the class, who could be the next stud to follow Parsons and Smith at Will….

Last edited:

2 Furture casts and a strong Crystal Ball for Picciotti today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT