ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Based on one’s perception this is one of the those what do we know that they don’t know, or what do they know that we don’t know type of situations. Who knows, maybe he loves Jersey sweet corn.

Based on one’s perception this is one of the those what do we know that they don’t know, or what do they know that we don’t know type of situations. Who knows, maybe he loves Jersey sweet corn.

Yeah.....wouldn't be the first time that a kid rated fairly high in the rankings wasn't drawing commitable offers from the sorts of teams you'd expect.

Conversely, look at kids like Diego Pounds -- 3* on pretty much every site, but had offers from pretty much everybody.

Coaches and the scouts align more times than not. But when they diverge, put your money on the coaches. They usually know stuff that the rest of us don't.

Your daily reminder that recruits and their families do indeed read the message boards.

Great that those bastions of class that root for ND seemed to have come through again and put a black eye on their "fans", which may benefit PSU......

Saunders' parents seem somewhat active on social media so hopefully they can spread the word to the parents of other players that are deciding between ND and PSU.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Let's take a break from Kaden Saunders drama for a minute

Michigan writer at 247 Steve Lorenz put in a crystal ball for the good guys on Dani Dennis-Sutton. 3 CBs so far, all for PSU with Fitz and Dohn also on there

Michigan writer at 247 Steve Lorenz put in a crystal ball for the good guys on Dani Dennis-Sutton. 3 CBs so far, all for PSU with Fitz and Dohn also on there
Today is 247 crystal ball day where all the 247 writers are asked to put in crystal balls. Some of them have merit while others may not have merit.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV

Need 3+ DE's in this class, with at least 2 ready to play as freshmen......

While I'm at it, ..... OT and DE seem to be positions of particular need, and the staff already has a great start at WR.... :

QB - 2
RB - 2
WR - 3-4
TE - 2
OT - 3
G/C - 1-2
CB - 2
S - 2
LB - 2
DE - 3
DT - 2

That's around a full class, and then probably a couple of Portal players to address Portal attrition.....

Last edited:
Today is 247 crystal ball day where all the 247 writers are asked to put in crystal balls. Some of them have merit while others may not have merit.

So that explains the obscene number of CB picks today.

A few of interest to us, in addition to the Sutton CB mentioned above.

Tom Loy with a CB for Joe Strickland to PSU.

Brian Dohn put in a CB for Tevin White to Georgia.

Darrius Clemons got a CB from an Oregon insider for Oregon.

AJ Duffy got a high confidence CB from a South Carolina insider for Florida State.

So that explains the obscene number of CB picks today.

A few of interest to us, in addition to the Sutton CB mentioned above.

Tom Loy with a CB for Joe Strickland to PSU.

Brian Dohn put in a CB for Tevin White to Georgia.

Darrius Clemons got a CB from an Oregon insider for Oregon.

AJ Duffy got a high confidence CB from a South Carolina insider for Florida State.

Gunner Givens as well to PSU - via Dohn, and a low confidence level at that.

That would be a pleasant surprise, though the low confidence is probably warranted. A long way to go in his recruitment, it seems.

I doubt he ends up at PSU, honestly.

The whole "Crystal Ball Day" turned into a circus and a guessing game. What was the point? Drive site traffic to look at a bunch of guesses with 1-5 confidence levels?

I can appreciate where the 247 national analysts get their info, but they flip-flop their picks throughout a cycle so much. Fitz and Donohue have legitimate sources within PSU's staff and I truly only trust their picks and opinions on that site.

I doubt he ends up at PSU, honestly.

The whole "Crystal Ball Day" turned into a circus and a guessing game. What was the point? Drive site traffic to look at a bunch of guesses with 1-5 confidence levels?

I can appreciate where the 247 national analysts get their info, but they flip-flop their picks throughout a cycle so much. Fitz and Donohue have legitimate sources within PSU's staff and I truly only trust their picks and opinions on that site.
Unless Gunner Givens' recruitment has done a 180 degree turn in the last two months, then he is not coming to Penn State. Givens gave an interview early winter time saying his top schools were Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State. Penn State is in his top 6 though. Brian Dohn has a reputation of putting in uneducated crystal balls, especially early in a recruit's recruiting process. Dohn then changes those crystal balls when he obtains good, reliable evidence of a recruit's impending commitment.

And yes, Crystal Ball Day is meant to drive traffic to the website and create publicity for 247.

Reactions: TheWizardofCamelot
I periodically browse other team sites to see what's going on (MGoBlog is always a great way to make me feel better about being a PSU and not a Michigan fan), and found this on Eleven Warriors re: Saunders.

Bottom line: they may be inching closer to offering him, but not clear whether as a WR or a DB. I think we'll be fine in this recruitment, and OSU types arrogantly assume that they'll get any Ohio kid they offer. But there will probably be some twists and turns.

I periodically browse other team sites to see what's going on (MGoBlog is always a great way to make me feel better about being a PSU and not a Michigan fan), and found this on Eleven Warriors re: Saunders.

Bottom line: they may be inching closer to offering him, but not clear whether as a WR or a DB. I think we'll be fine in this recruitment, and OSU types arrogantly assume that they'll get any Ohio kid they offer. But there will probably be some twists and turns.

Good read for everyone here.

Saunders' sibling went through the recruiting process in a different sport - a staff change caused her schollie to be pulled at the last minute and the family then had to scramble.

He and his family definitely love PSU, but they aren't going to stop listening to other schools. Seems like OSU has evaluated him as a DB, which he didn't like. But OSU may offer him as an athlete to get him on campus with that type of speed + keep him away from PSU. This one will go to NSD.

Reactions: bmw199

I am getting that feeling of “He gone” on Saunders.

• Love
  • Angry
Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
I haven't remotely seen or heard anything that would lead one to logically come to that feeling. But you seem to always be quick to post a "He gone" whenever we lose someone so I'm not terribly surprised you feel that way.

Most have repeatedly said we are in a really good place with Saunders but will just need to keep actively recruiting him until signing day. This class is going to be a bit different with how recruits may flirt with other schools. These kids have not been able to visit other campuses in nearly a year now and the dead period just got extended again. It's not really fair to expect anyone to be 100% on board with us (or any program) when they haven't gotten a chance to really see what else is out there.

Nah. Not yet.

Thornton, for instance, never made it a secret that he was shopping around. Nobody should have expected him to stick. Saunders seems more solid.......not as worried. Of course, could an OH kid flip to OSU if Hartline comes calling? Sure. But it’s far from certain that they’ll even push for him.

Nah. Not yet.

Thornton, for instance, never made it a secret that he was shopping around. Nobody should have expected him to stick. Saunders seems more solid.......not as worried. Of course, could an OH kid flip to OSU if Hartline comes calling? Sure. But it’s far from certain that they’ll even push for him.
But Saunders is shopping around. It's not a secret. Wiltfong said it, and Saunders father said it as well. I laughed when I read Saunders' father's twitter response because I remember my high school days. The hottest girl my junior year stopped being the hottest girl in the school at the end of our junior year. During the summer before senior year, multiple girls got hotter and became the hottest girls during our senior year. There is no debate that Franklin has pressured some recruits to commit early in order to generate momentum for the program and to secure their spot in the recruiting class. I don't believe Franklin pressured Saunders to commit, but it does feel that Saunders committed way too early, especially since his recruiting seems to have blown up over the past few months.

But Saunders is shopping around. It's not a secret. Wiltfong said it, and Saunders father said it as well. I laughed when I read Saunders' father's twitter response because I remember my high school days. The hottest girl my junior year stopped being the hottest girl in the school at the end of our junior year. During the summer before senior year, multiple girls got hotter and became the hottest girls during our senior year. There is no debate that Franklin has pressured some recruits to commit early in order to generate momentum for the program and to secure their spot in the recruiting class. I don't believe Franklin pressured Saunders to commit, but it does feel that Saunders committed way too early, especially since his recruiting seems to have blown up over the past few months.
Both of these takes are ******* awful. Please reread what The Wizard posted:
Saunders' sibling went through the recruiting process in a different sport - a staff change caused her schollie to be pulled at the last minute and the family then had to scramble.

He and his family definitely love PSU, but they aren't going to stop listening to other schools.

I haven't remotely seen or heard anything that would lead one to logically come to that feeling. But you seem to always be quick to post a "He gone" whenever we lose someone so I'm not terribly surprised you feel that way.

Most have repeatedly said we are in a really good place with Saunders but will just need to keep actively recruiting him until signing day. This class is going to be a bit different with how recruits may flirt with other schools. These kids have not been able to visit other campuses in nearly a year now and the dead period just got extended again. It's not really fair to expect anyone to be 100% on board with us (or any program) when they haven't gotten a chance to really see what else is out there.
Usually when they start looking around, they walk. Parsons was the exception. But that positive ending may have had more to do with the O$U screw-up that was public and could not be “hu$hed up.”

Hoping for the best as Saunders seems like he has great potential. But I will believe it when I see the signature.

Makes me nostalgic for the Paterno era when we could close top Ohio prospects and not just settle for Ohio State leftovers. And not to mention having O$U raid PA’s top prospects to boot.

Gotta’ keep plugging and must do better...

• Angry
Reactions: bmw199
Usually when they start looking around, they walk. Parsons was the exception. But that positive ending may have had more to do with the O$U screw-up that was public and could not be “hu$hed up.”

Hoping for the best as Saunders seems like he has great potential. But I will believe it when I see the signature.

Makes me nostalgic for the Paterno era when we could close top Ohio prospects and not just settle for Ohio State leftovers. And not to mention having O$U raid PA’s top prospects to boot.

Gotta’ keep plugging and must do better...
Miles Sanders and Shaka Toney say hello.

Miles Sanders and Shaka Toney say hello.

Right. Would any parent of a highly recruited athlete, especially in this day of continual coaching hopscotch, not keep informed of all options for their son?

Comments that jump to conclusions based on the little factual public information shared by parents and recruits are pretty lame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT