ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Wow, even when you aren’t pretending to be a delusional Michigan fan, you’re still pretty delusional. Why the heck would Allar even think about switching to OSU when that QB room is the most crowded in the country? He definitely has a shot to play much earlier here.
I really believe that OSU's QB room thins out bigtime - by 2 - in the very near future and that should be obvious to everyone, Look for both McCord and Miller to enter the portal after this upcoming season and Stroud leaves after the 2022 - 2023 season. Not as delusional as you seem to think. Just asking the question since the kid is from Ohio. And it should be clear that I'm neither a fan of UM or OSU.

Last edited:
Without any proof, my perception is that OSU is really pushing the NIL in their recruiting and this is one of the results: QB room filled w/5* which will lead to transfers out of that room. Who leaves I have no idea, but 1 or 2 will leave OSU. It is inevitable.

From what I understand, this is Ewers pushing for the state of Texas to allow HS kids to cash in on NIL. This isn't OSU's doing. It may be a ploy to pressure Texas to cave, in which case Ewers would likely stay in HS for his senior year.

I doubt OSU is pushing this given the chemistry and class balance issues. As I said, not a bad problem to have.......the #1 player in the country wants to enroll early, which prompts a few kids to transfer. You're still left with the #1 player in the country, after all. But it's not the ideal scenario for them.

Reactions: PearlandLion
I doubt OSU is pushing this given the chemistry and class balance issues. As I said, not a bad problem to have.......the #1 player in the country wants to enroll early, which prompts a few kids to transfer. You're still left with the #1 player in the country, after all. But it's not the ideal scenario for them.
Agree. The QB room is stacked with blue chippers one minute and extremely thin the next after a couple enter the portal. Could McCord possibly transfer to PSU ?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TheGLOV
From what I understand, this is Ewers pushing for the state of Texas to allow HS kids to cash in on NIL. This isn't OSU's doing. It may be a ploy to pressure Texas to cave, in which case Ewers would likely stay in HS for his senior year.

Just my .02 but if this is accurate, what a bad look for Ewers. The TX legislature is supposed to change a law, which they only recently passed, to allow him to make money and if they don't do it, he will leave the state? And further, they are supposed to change the law for a kid who is not going to a TX school but rather to OSU? Good luck with that! Further, simply as a practical matter, TX has a part-time legislature. They don't even return to session until either 2022 or 2023, I don't recall which. So that law is not going to be amended anytime soon.

Agree. The QB room is stacked with blue chippers one minute and extremely thin the next after a couple enter the portal. Could McCord possibly transfer to PSU ?
I'd sure hope so. Allar is a really good looking prospect, but McCord is a notch above, IMO. And a year older. If McCord were to transfer after this season, he'd be an ideal candidate to come in and start on day 1 for PSU assuming Clifford moves on.

Would that disappoint Allar or Pribula? I'm sure it would. But that's why coaches get paid the big bucks. Worrying about depth charts 3-4 years down the road is a fool's errand in the portal era.

Now, would McCord be interested in PSU? I don't know. I know we were on his short list coming out of HS.

Just my .02 but if this is accurate, what a bad look for Ewers. The TX legislature is supposed to change a law, which they only recently passed, to allow him to make money and if they don't do it, he will leave the state? And further, they are supposed to change the law for a kid who is not going to a TX school but rather to OSU? Good luck with that! Further, simply as a practical matter, TX has a part-time legislature. They don't even return to session until either 2022 or 2023, I don't recall which. So that law is not going to be amended anytime soon.
Ewers - and his family - come across as spoiled brats.

I really believe that OSU's QB room thins out bigtime - by 2 - in the very near future and that should be obvious to everyone, Look for both McCord and Miller to enter the portal after this upcoming season and Stroud leaves after the 2022 - 2023 season. Not as delusional as you seem to think. Just asking the question since the kid is from Ohio. And it should be clear that I'm neither a fan of UM or OSU.
Oh please…you are a dyed in wool Fighting Acorn fan….if not, then who??

I'd sure hope so. Allar is a really good looking prospect, but McCord is a notch above, IMO. And a year older. If McCord were to transfer after this season, he'd be an ideal candidate to come in and start on day 1 for PSU assuming Clifford moves on.

Would that disappoint Allar or Pribula? I'm sure it would. But that's why coaches get paid the big bucks. Worrying about depth charts 3-4 years down the road is a fool's errand in the portal era.

Now, would McCord be interested in PSU? I don't know. I know we were on his short list coming out of HS.
if guys transfer out of OSU, you would think they will not want to move to another place with a crowded room. you mentioned Clifford coming back for 2022 season, which I have not heard that as an option. IF SC has a great year, then you would assume he moves to NFL. IF he had a year that is not worthy of NFL, would JF want a 6th year QB who did not produce in the way of the next group? that may lead to PSU losing some from the QB room. we have already lost highly acclaimed QBs that we never saw play a down. if Beau and Drew are all they are cracked up to be, at least one is gone and maybe both if SC comes back for year 6.

Reactions: OhioLion
if guys transfer out of OSU, you would think they will not want to move to another place with a crowded room. you mentioned Clifford coming back for 2022 season, which I have not heard that as an option. IF SC has a great year, then you would assume he moves to NFL. IF he had a year that is not worthy of NFL, would JF want a 6th year QB who did not produce in the way of the next group? that may lead to PSU losing some from the QB room. we have already lost highly acclaimed QBs that we never saw play a down. if Beau and Drew are all they are cracked up to be, at least one is gone and maybe both if SC comes back for year 6.
McCord will not consider Penn State and I’m not sure if Franklin would re-recruit him. Remember, McCord was interviewed by a local Philly newspaper and said that he did not seriously consider Penn State because he did not like the offense and that Franklin runs the quarterback too much.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
if Beau and Drew are all they are cracked up to be, at least one is gone and maybe both if SC comes back for year 6.

I completely disagree that we lose either if SC were to return for a 6th year. Heck, no guarantee either beats Roberson or CV as true freshman.

Reactions: beaver stadium
Ok, so who in the hell is N. State referenced by Greg Pickel?

2. How it started, where it went​

Penn State offered Winston on May 12, 2020. Pitt offered the same day, and before that, Boston College, Tennessee, Michigan State, and Syracuse entered the mix. Maryland was first to offer the in-state star on May 23, 2019.
By last summer, Louisville, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and N. State had all joined the race, as well, among others.
Winston ended up with 20-plus offers.

o_O

I believe SC is out of the picture after this year. That leaves an interesting sitiatuon at QB and who would he ready. Would Villeaux or Roberson be ready? Neither of these guys were recruited by MY so that is not a good sign for either of them. CJF and MY will not want to start 2022 with a question mark/project at QB certainly not in this day when you can pluck a proven guy from the portal. They will go into the offseason closely watching the development of Villeaux and Roberson. Also being transparent with them that a portal transfer could be brought in.

On the portal end which we definitely will look at, McCord could be a game changer but I read on this thread that he never really considered PSU. IF he is interested then the assessment comes down to Allar vs McCord. I think you go McCord because Allar will not be ready. If it is not McCord then I think a good solve would be to get a 5th year guy through the portal to fill the gap before turning it over to Allar for 2023. Hopefully there could be some options there. This all assumes Pribula is behind Allar which I understand to be accurate. With the 5th year portal option you could keep both Pribula and Allar and make it a QB shootout for the starting position in 2023. If Allar wins it then Pribula could be an excellent back up a la Tommy Stevens who could be utilized in different ways.

Back to Villeaux and Roberson, CJF and MY could opt to go with one of them in 2022 if they think they are good enough and then also try to hold on to Allar by promising an open QB competition in 2023. That is very risky though and probably not wise unless you feel very good about about Villeaux or Roberson.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
If sc comes back for a 6th year, it will be with another team via portal.

The staff will be probably patient and try to find a solid QB from the portal to start for at least a year after SC.

We now have 23 commits, passing BC for the most commits of any FBS program for the 2022 class. Only us, BC, Marshall, and Air Force have 20+ commits thus far.

I assume we'll plan to take 3-4 more? LB, OL, and......?

Guessing this is a free catch, but saw on twitter yesterday that sophomore DB Joe Johnson has enrolled at Snow College. Definitely need to replenish the DBs with some good, quality kids in numbers.

Ok, so who in the hell is N. State referenced by Greg Pickel?

2. How it started, where it went​

Penn State offered Winston on May 12, 2020. Pitt offered the same day, and before that, Boston College, Tennessee, Michigan State, and Syracuse entered the mix. Maryland was first to offer the in-state star on May 23, 2019.
By last summer, Louisville, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and N. State had all joined the race, as well, among others.
Winston ended up with 20-plus offers.

o_O
NC state?

Here's hoping he goes to one of the SEC schools.
Must really like red

LB done?

Or would CJF still take Barham or Bissainthe?

Last 3, OT, WR, DE....

Our top prospects at OT (Wagner [and maybe Andre Roye]) and WR (Darrius Clemons and probably Andre Green) won't be announcing until 2022. Not sure if the staff is willing to wait. Figure they take the best available athletes at this point.

I remain intrigued by DDS' mention of Missouri DE DJ Wesolak whom the staff has apparently prioritized (over 50 offers, with USC and Clemson pushing hard), but it seems that he sees himself more as a LB whereas the staff prefers him at DE (based on Ryan's podcast).

Whatever the case, DJ Wesolak is hoping to attend the Penn State vs Auburn WHITEOUT on September 18th at 7:30 PM, but we may be full by then.

Our top prospects at OT (Wagner [and maybe Andre Roye]) and WR (Darrius Clemons and probably Andre Green) won't be announcing until 2022. Not sure if the staff is willing to wait. Figure they take the best available athletes at this point.

I remain intrigued by DDS' mention of Missouri DE DJ Wesolak whom the staff has apparently prioritized (over 50 offers, with USC and Clemson pushing hard), but it seems that he sees himself more as a LB whereas the staff prefers him at DE (based on Ryan's podcast).

Whatever the case, DJ Wesolak is hoping to attend the Penn State vs Auburn WHITEOUT on September 18th at 7:30 PM, but we may be full by then.

LB is still our area of need

LB is still our area of need
Keon Wylie and Abdul Carter are a pretty good haul at LB. Granted, our staff obviously knows more than we do, but most of us are assuming that at least one of them grows into DE. For me, that's what I was thinking for Wylie, but apparently the staff is pretty certain that he's a LB. Just need these guys to provide basic coverage skills to stay at LB and hopefully we're good at the position.

Then again, we have some safeties committed that could grow into LBs. I love KJ Winston's crushing presence from the safety position and I hope he proves to have the coverage skills to stay in the secondary. Same for Tyrece Mills.

It's impossible to predict future growth spurts, but this is an interesting mix/match of talent for the staff to consider. Would you rather take Roye now or hold out for Wagner? Clemons and Green are probably 6 months way from deciding.

In a perfect world, we close with OL Wagner, DE Wesolak and WR Clemons (or Green). But their timetables make that highly unlikely.

Keon Wylie and Abdul Carter are a pretty good haul at LB. Granted, our staff obviously knows more than we do, but most of us are assuming that at least one of them grows into DE. For me, that's what I was thinking for Wylie, but apparently the staff is pretty certain that he's a LB. Just need these guys to provide basic coverage skills to stay at LB and hopefully we're good at the position.

Then again, we have some safeties committed that could grow into LBs. I love KJ Winston's crushing presence from the safety position and I hope he proves to have the coverage skills to stay in the secondary. Same for Tyrece Mills.

It's impossible to predict future growth spurts, but this is an interesting mix/match of talent for the staff to consider. Would you rather take Roye now or hold out for Wagner? Clemons and Green are probably 6 months way from deciding.

In a perfect world, we close with OL Wagner, DE Wesolak and WR Clemons (or Green). But their timetables make that highly unlikely.
Traditional LB's are headed in the direction of fullbacks

• Wow
Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
Traditional LB's are headed in the direction of fullbacks
Already there. Don't recall the metrics but tempted to say PSU's been in nickel on the majority of plays for the last 20 years. That requires two linebackers who can run and cover. Carter seems to have freakish speed and Wylie is said to be a straight-up football player and possibly the best HS defender in the Philly area (yes, even over White, so they say). Can either one of them play the middle? Can our remaining targets?

Last edited:
Hey MacNit, did you buy your MAF Blackhawk jersey yet?

:) ;) :)
Working on it GLOV…with the Hawks’ captain set to return, Seth Jones on the way, and a few other nice pieces in place and, of course, PKane…the Chicken Hawks with the Flower will be looking up!

I love every bit of this class. But can we pass that hat to send CJF away to a weekend seminar on clock management?
Let's list the games where the outcome came down to clock management. I'll start. Penn State at Iowa. 2017. #FIREFERENTZ

These highlights by Saquon are so insane. I remember reading a Chicago Tribune interview with Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern who said he watched every minute of that football game from the perspective of a Penn State football fan and how exhilarating that experience must have been for all of us all the way until the very end.

Last edited:

Re: the question from some in the other thread about why Carter isn't a 5* based on his 40-yard time........the coverage issue is a big reason why. For LBs, coverage skills are becoming so crucial -- scouting services are putting more of a premium on those skills for the LB position. It's why Shawn Murphy fell so far in the rankings when he showed he couldn't cover during a camp or two last year.

I'm not suggesting he can't cover, although with his size and speed, DE may not be out of the realm of possibility. Particularly when more schools are going to line up 3-4 WRs and run a bunch of crossing routes and spread the field. The LBs have to be able to cover. Our LBs got torched in a few games last year.

Not saying Wagner isn't possible, but ND will be tough to beat there. Green at WR is very unlikely, IMO.

Last edited:
Already there. Don't recall the metrics but tempted to say PSU's been in nickel on the majority of plays for the last 20 years. That requires two linebackers who can run and cover. Carter seems to have freakish speed and Wylie is said to be a straight-up football player and possibly the best HS defender in the Philly area (yes, even over White, so they say). Can either one of them play the middle? Can our remaining targets?
From what has been written regarding both Wylie and Carter, it seems that both or either could play Mike or Will in the the PSU defense. Both will likely end up at 230+ lbs and would hold up well in either of those spots.

It would not surprise me to see a top athlete LB from the 2023 class take over at Sam when Jacobs leaves. Or possibly a top athlete Safety to play Sam, such as Flowers or Driver if one or both end up on defense......

I don't see either Wylie or Carter having much chance to end up at DE. There are bigger, thicker young DE's already on the roster (McGraw, Townley,...) plus the DE's in the 2022 class....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT