ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Does anyone realistically see PSU as being "elite?" If elite is defined as being one of the top 4 in the current playoff situation....pray tell how you see this happening. Admittedly, I'm not a dreamer, but look at next year's schedule. I see 8-4 or 9-3 all over it.....and that's the optimistic part of me. I worked in the era where coaches often "poor mouthed" their team outlook. "Geez, we're just hoping to be competitive..." We all should remember that from Joe. Very few if any modern coaches take this approach.
If you think there is a coach out there who is going to out recruit, out develop and out coach CJF.....I'd love to hear who you think that is and short of Jesus Christ....is he ready willing and just yearning to come to the sleeping giant that you all think is PSU.
I see PSU as a school that will produce a squad with 8 wins being the low and 11 being the high season total. Perhaps a year like 2016 comes along and we ride the wave to a playoff birth, once in a blue moon. Elite? Really?
I'm not going to let pipe dreams get in the way of enjoying a program that in 2 or 3 out of 5 years will finish in the top 10 and go to a NY day bowl. Every coach and every fan base wants to be "elite." It's a goal.....in the case of PSU.....a bridge too far.
Not sure. Had we beaten Minnesota 2019, even a loss to Ohio State would have gotten us over the hump. That loss was a large set back in getting to elite.

Not sure. Had we beaten Minnesota 2019, even a loss to Ohio State would have gotten us over the hump. That loss was a large set back in getting to elite.
Ifs and buts......if we had beaten Michigan State.....etc. Look, I'm just being realistic and I've enjoyed those 11 win seasons too much to sob about what might have been. I think you would agree there are some wins that could have easily turned to loses as well.
There is a difficult road ahead. Looking at next years schedule....it could be a challenge to win more than 9.

Clemsons losses to Pitt and Syracuse didn't stop them from being elite so what are you getting at?
We did lose 5 games this year.......shouldn't that put an end to fans here using the term elite? There really is nothing to talk about on that subject.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
Shouldn't it out an end to you expecting perfection?
Did you mean should it not put an end to you expecting perfection?
If that 's what you meant.....I'm the last person who has expected perfection. I was certainly shocked and disappointed with 5 straight losses. But, I believe you could find my prediction after Parsons opted out was 7-2 at best....we had people here claiming we were playoff contenders.
I'm very happy, giddy, in fact with three 11 win seasons in every 5.
Looking at the schedule this year, I'm predicting 8-4.

PS...there were genius fans here who even after JB went down made comments like "well at least these are positions where we have depth." LOL LOL LOL

Media (Ohio) high school three-star quarterback Drew Allar is definitely someone to watch regarding a big-riser in the 2022 class. The 6-5, 210-pounder is ranked as the No. 18 pro-style quarterback per 247Sports, but he’s sneaky athletic. His footwork in the pocket and ability to avoid the rush is among the best nationally. His arm talent is really, really impressive at this level and he can throw from so many angles. He has the arm strength and accuracy you look for as well. There is a ton to like about his game and I’d be shocked if his offer list and ranking didn’t reflect one of the more impressive signal-callers nationally when all is said and done. As of today, Penn State, Iowa, Iowa State and others have offered, but that should change drastically.

Media (Ohio) high school three-star quarterback Drew Allar is definitely someone to watch regarding a big-riser in the 2022 class. The 6-5, 210-pounder is ranked as the No. 18 pro-style quarterback per 247Sports, but he’s sneaky athletic. His footwork in the pocket and ability to avoid the rush is among the best nationally. His arm talent is really, really impressive at this level and he can throw from so many angles. He has the arm strength and accuracy you look for as well. There is a ton to like about his game and I’d be shocked if his offer list and ranking didn’t reflect one of the more impressive signal-callers nationally when all is said and done. As of today, Penn State, Iowa, Iowa State and others have offered, but that should change drastically.

Sounds like a Justin Fields scenario. CJF consistently identifies talent b4 others.

As an FYI, TE commit Jerry Cross did an instagram Q&A yesterday and he said the next public commitment will be this spring/summer timeframe. I say public commitment because he inferred there was a silent commitment(s) and he needed to keep it a secret.

Zzzzzzzzz. All of these social media blessings are a colossal bore. No offense to Tom. PSU makes so many offers anymore that any one in particular means very little, nor do the platitudes of the recipients.

Zzzzzzzzz. All of these social media blessings are a colossal bore. No offense to Tom. PSU makes so many offers anymore that any one in particular means very little, nor do the platitudes of the recipients.

No offense taken. That said, I think you're missing some fundamental changes in recruiting, at least for PSU. First, PSU is really in to meeting prospects before they make an offer. It gives them a chance to evaluate a prospect, and also to get a read on the family. For prospects that live outside of the traditional PSU recruiting territory, it also gives the coaching staff a clearer idea of how interested a prospect is in PSU if they are willing to travel a great distance just to check out PSU. With the NCAA basically eliminating all on-campus visits by prospects and off-campus evaluation by coaches, many of the aforementioned hallmarks of PSU recruiting under CJF are not viable. Coaching staffs across the country, including PSU, have, as a result of the change in NCAA policy due to the pandemic, starting doing a lot of Zoom sessions, FaceTime calls, etc. with prospects. Many prospects have gotten so they are so swamped with requests for these online conversations, that they have decided to only communicate with colleges whose staffs have made them an offer. So, PSU has had to make a lot more offers than has been their norm.

Second, the pandemic interfered with CJF's plans to expand the recruiting territory to take advantage of relationships his new(er) coaches have. Yurcich is the most recent addition, and he previously was at U. of Texas, so it will be interesting to see what prospects PSU elects to pursue as a result of his hire. John Scott, Taylor Stubblefield, and Phil Trautwein were added last year, but the pandemic curtailed how much PSU could take advantage of their relationships. While PA has an excellent class of prospects for the 2022 class, trends are not going in a good direction, so PSU is expanding their focus. All 3 prospects that I posted about today are from outside PSU's normal area.

No offense taken. That said, I think you're missing some fundamental changes in recruiting, at least for PSU. First, PSU is really in to meeting prospects before they make an offer. It gives them a chance to evaluate a prospect, and also to get a read on the family. For prospects that live outside of the traditional PSU recruiting territory, it also gives the coaching staff a clearer idea of how interested a prospect is in PSU if they are willing to travel a great distance just to check out PSU. With the NCAA basically eliminating all on-campus visits by prospects and off-campus evaluation by coaches, many of the aforementioned hallmarks of PSU recruiting under CJF are not viable. Coaching staffs across the country, including PSU, have, as a result of the change in NCAA policy due to the pandemic, starting doing a lot of Zoom sessions, FaceTime calls, etc. with prospects. Many prospects have gotten so they are so swamped with requests for these online conversations, that they have decided to only communicate with colleges whose staffs have made them an offer. So, PSU has had to make a lot more offers than has been their norm.

Second, the pandemic interfered with CJF's plans to expand the recruiting territory to take advantage of relationships his new(er) coaches have. Yurcich is the most recent addition, and he previously was at U. of Texas, so it will be interesting to see what prospects PSU elects to pursue as a result of his hire. John Scott, Taylor Stubblefield, and Phil Trautwein were added last year, but the pandemic curtailed how much PSU could take advantage of their relationships. While PA has an excellent class of prospects for the 2022 class, trends are not going in a good direction, so PSU is expanding their focus. All 3 prospects that I posted about today are from outside PSU's normal area.

Tom, apologies for taking this thread a little sideways here but perhaps you can start a separate thread like Recruiting 101 that will be more focused on such topics and may allow for more general discussion of recruiting tactics and philosophies. Recruiting novices such as myself might benefit from learning what exactly an offer is ... and what it isn't and what is meant by terms like committable. That might also help year recruiting threads to stay on topic. Please, no responses to this post are needed (or appropriate) here. Again, I'm sorry for straying but it looked like a good place for for this suggestion. Now back to the regularly scheduled program ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT