ADVERTISEMENT

2022 PA States

AAA produces more D1 wrestlers. Also, when looking at the AA and AAA medalists, at most weights AAA is deeper -- i.e., if there were one bracket, it would be mostly AAA guys on the podium. Also, a lot of the AA state qualifiers and probably some medalists wouldn't get out of regionals -- and some wouldn't get out of districts.

That said, in a combined bracket AA would get its share of champs. Maybe not 50-50, but close. It's further down the podium where AAA is better.

PA AA is still one of the toughest state tournaments in the country.
I mean, it's just a factor of having more kids in AAA, right? If you have 3 times as many kids, you should produce 3 times as many D1 wrestlers. A deeper dive into which class produces more D1 wrestlers per capita might be interesting.

welsh waiting to get his next sleeve with the Yuks I guess.

Those Manville chins are all carved from the same granite.

Sasso with a nice comeback against Stout, who looked dominant out of the gate with two barely contested takedowns, and then may have ran out of gas.

I mean, it's just a factor of having more kids in AAA, right? If you have 3 times as many kids, you should produce 3 times as many D1 wrestlers. A deeper dive into which class produces more D1 wrestlers per capita might be interesting.
Definitely a big factor but there has to be more to it than that.

Nobody has more kids than Philly and Pittsburgh cities, and they're virtual wastelands for wrestling.

Nobody has more kids than Philly and Pittsburgh cities, and they're virtual wastelands for wrestling.
For sure there are other factors. Eliminating Philly and Pitt from the analysis would probably make the most sense.

I'm just saying that we should probably at least mention that all AAA schools are larger when comparing the two classes.

Crookham number one advantage when he won his first 2 titles was his strength. When he was a sophomore he was was benching almost 300. When he beat Howard who was a senior he was stronger than him. Albeit Howard was coming back from injury. When he beat Haines a couple of times that same year at 126 he was stronger than Levi. Competing at 138 this year the strength advantage is not so predominant.
I'm curious if he has ability to cut back to 133 in college.
For sure there are other factors. Eliminating Philly and Pitt from the analysis would probably make the most sense.

I'm just saying that we should probably at least mention that all AAA schools are larger when comparing the two classes.
This would be Iowa's reasoning as well.

Since the schools are roughly in half at the median (I know that is imperfect because co-ops exist), the smaller schools will just have a smaller population of kids to draw from. Whether the schools are in Allegheny or Centre County, it's just a bigger population when you add up the 250 biggest schools vs the 250 smallest.

To put another way, if you wanted to divide the state by having exactly the same amount of kids to pull from in AA and AAA, AA would probably have 400 schools and AAA would have 100 (or something similar).

Reactions: nitlion6
AAA produces more D1 wrestlers. Also, when looking at the AA and AAA medalists, at most weights AAA is deeper -- i.e., if there were one bracket, it would be mostly AAA guys on the podium. Also, a lot of the AA state qualifiers and probably some medalists wouldn't get out of regionals -- and some wouldn't get out of districts.

That said, in a combined bracket AA would get its share of champs. Maybe not 50-50, but close. It's further down the podium where AAA is better.

PA AA is still one of the toughest state tournaments in the country.
It's always been that way. What started as "A" and "B" and moved to "AAA" and "AA" the bigger class has always had more really good kids, but "AA" has always had top end kids that would make their presence known in any "AAA" competition.

I have always wished they would wrestle a single championship tournament. There are a thousand all time great matches that we as wrestling fans have missed out on because of the split. A couple we did not get to see were Jack Cuvo v Jimmy Martin and John Hughes v Joey Wildasin.

Reactions: creamery freak
I’d prefer a AA vs AAAChampions Classic over the dapper Dan or whatever they are calling it these days
The AAA v AA would not be what all that. Only seniors can wrestle in it. Having a AA 4th Placer wrestle an AAA champion isn't all that appealing.

I’d prefer a AA vs AAAChampions Classic over the dapper Dan or whatever they are calling it these days
Me too.

Single-class states sounds really great, until we start thinking about having single-class sectionals, single-class districts, and single-class regionals -- which would be harder to run and cause a lot of friction with regards to regional allocations to states. And probably not be very good for small-school registration numbers, where recent years have seen a lot of 106/113 forfeits.

AAA semis:
106: Desmond TF Kapusta 16-0, 4:16; Willochell F McFarland 0:55
113: Campbell dec Williams 6-2; Jacaruso dec Nasdeo 4-0
120: Leiphart dec Houpt 5-2; Kilkeary dec Williams 12-6
126: Perry dec Shaw 3-1; Lebin dec Van Dee 3-2
132: Church dec Rath 3-1; Repos dec Simcox 3-2
138: Manville F Kasak 5:39; Priest dec Findora 3-1
145: Solomon MD Babb 14-4; Watters dec Swisher 12-5
152: Evans dec Sipes 8-1; Smith dec Laffey 4-2
160: Keslar dec Morlacci 7-1; Garvick F Barlow 4:27
172: Welsh TF Bechtold 20-5, 2:40; D'Agostino dec Hogan 5-4
189: Collins dec Miller 3-0; Sasso dec Stout 9-6
215: Weightman dec Pavlechko 12-10; Finnerty dec Volk-Kols 2-0
285: Kinney F Crews 1:35; Cruise dec McChesney 3-1 SV

Since the schools are roughly in half at the median (I know that is imperfect because co-ops exist), the smaller schools will just have a smaller population of kids to draw from. Whether the schools are in Allegheny or Centre County, it's just a bigger population when you add up the 250 biggest schools vs the 250 smallest.

To put another way, if you wanted to divide the state by having exactly the same amount of kids to pull from in AA and AAA, AA would probably have 400 schools and AAA would have 100 (or something similar).
Ok so I am bored at work and ran some numbers here, should I post some of my findings here on in a new thread?

How about a, buy one, get one, recruiting full court press for Desmond and Campbell out of BECA.
Over the years it is amazing how schools have 2 studs next to each other in weight. Campbell was quoted this week that he's gotten better by having Desmond beat on him.
Campbell will have his trouble with Jacaruso who beat him 11-0 last week.

Last edited:
Dapper is cool but I've always thought a AA v AAA post season or even pre season dual would be fun.

As if David needed any help, but I have to think some parents and wrestlers on the fence about whether or not to attend M2 just changed their minds :cool:
How many M2 kids are in the finals of AA and AAA and what’s their year in school. The one post by M2 mentioned lots of freshmen going to states. Thanks for anyone that can answer this

Okay. So I see this tweet. Who are they ? And how many in 3/4 Match

M2 Training Center

@M2TC_wrestling

·
12m

Looking forward to finishing the State tournament strong! We have 13 AA medalists & 4 AA State finalists. 10 AAA State medalists & 2 AAA Finalists. Let’s go boys!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT